Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WeConnect Spring Update

Wogga

Wogga

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
VW are threatening a big update to WeConnect, but will it include Calis/Transporters. The email was sent directly to me as a Cali owner? We live in hope. I think the most exciting bit is the ability lock and unlock the van via the app (mobile key?), dead handy when you are out of range and have the sneaky feeling you didn't lock it!

"

We are starting spring with some key changes we want to update you on: the We Connect web portal will say goodbye on 27.04.2021. You can of course continue to use your mobile online services.1,2

In future, the following functions from the Car-Net/We Connect service portfolio will be found on the new myVolkswagen website:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicle
• News (RSS feeds)
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Mobile key
• Service Scheduling
• Preferred authorised workshop
Go to myVolkswagen →

The We Connect app offers you easy access to the following functions using your smartphone:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicles
• Volkswagen Ident procedure
• Secondary user management
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Doors & Lights
• Parking Position
• Area Alert
• Speed Alert
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Online Anti-Theft Alarm
• Online Auxiliary Heater
• Online Destination Import
• Online Route Import
• Lock & Unlock
• Departure Times
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Mobile key
• Service Scheduling

From £70 to upgrade for me. Am I tempted? No. I’d rather give £70 to charity.
VW are threatening a big update to WeConnect, but will it include Calis/Transporters. The email was sent directly to me as a Cali owner? We live in hope. I think the most exciting bit is the ability lock and unlock the van via the app (mobile key?), dead handy when you are out of range and have the sneaky feeling you didn't lock it!

"

We are starting spring with some key changes we want to update you on: the We Connect web portal will say goodbye on 27.04.2021. You can of course continue to use your mobile online services.1,2​

In future, the following functions from the Car-Net/We Connect service portfolio will be found on the new myVolkswagen website:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicle
• News (RSS feeds)
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Mobile key
• Service Scheduling
Go to myVolkswagen →

The We Connect app offers you easy access to the following functions using your smartphone:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicles
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Doors & Lights
• Parking Position
• Area Alert
• Speed Alert
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Online Destination Import
• Online Route Import
• Lock & Unlock
• Departure Times
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Mobile key
• Service Scheduling
Thanks. Fingers crossed it applies and works. A few functions I don’t understand:
• Doors & Lights
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Mobile key
Any thoughts on what these mean for the app in reality ?

Last edited:
Further attempts got :
View attachment 76766
27th is allegedly the go live date, I have managed to migrate over to MyVolkswagen, I know get several views of my mine and a lovely list of all my fitted items and options for when I post it on Auto trader :)

Thanks. Fingers crossed it applies and works. A few functions I don’t understand:
• Doors & Lights
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Mobile key
Any thoughts on what these mean for the app in reality ?
Here is my tuppence worth:

• Volkswagen Ident procedure No Idea
• Secondary user management Mrs W can access the app on her phone as well I think
• Doors & Lights View their status off/on open/closed
• Horn & Turn Signals You can operate your lights and horn from the app, might be a deterrent should you see one taking too much interest in your van.
• Online Anti-Theft Alarm. Sends a message to your phone if it detects a break in
• Online Auxiliary Heater Not sure but you may be able to start it through the app, can't at the moment
• Air Conditioning Control aircon via app set temp???? or set the parking heater to ventilate?????????
• Charging See the charging state via the app??????
• Mobile key lock and unlock the van via the app.

27th is allegedly the go live date, I have managed to migrate over to MyVolkswagen, I know get several views of my mine and a lovely list of all my fitted items and options for when I post it on Auto trader :)
I had a look at the MyVW portal this evening. Created an account but when trying to add my vehicle by inputting the Reg. No. it came back with the same old ‘this is a commercial vehicle’ message, so couldn’t add my Cali.
MyVW has only ever supported cars historically, so i’m wondering if that will remain the case or whether they will support vans from the 27th April.

Wondering if the Online Anti-Theft Alarm. “Sends a message to your phone if it detects a break in”
Firstly allows VW to track your van (as BMW) and secondly negate the requirement for some insurance companies who insist on a tracker. As £70 pa is better spent with VW than £150/£200 subscription.

I had a look at the MyVW portal this evening. Created an account but when trying to add my vehicle by inputting the Reg. No. it came back with the same old ‘this is a commercial vehicle’ message, so couldn’t add my Cali.
MyVW has only ever supported cars historically, so i’m wondering if that will remain the case or whether they will support vans from the 27th April.

I clicked the link in my email from VW to get to MyVW, I logged in using my we connect credentials and my VIN was prepopulated. Try entering your VIN GG.

I am not holding my breath for a mobile key aka BMW to start the vehicle, as long as I can lock and unlock the vehicle via the app I will be happy. Nice to see the van picture has my mud flaps and comfort mattress on :) We will see on the 27th.Image 16-04-2021 at 07.53.jpeg

I clicked the link in my email from VW to get to MyVW, I logged in using my we connect credentials and my VIN was prepopulated. Try entering your VIN GG.

I am not holding my breath for a mobile key aka BMW to start the vehicle, as long as I can lock and unlock the vehicle via the app I will be happy. Nice to see the van picture has my mud flaps and comfort mattress on :) We will see on the 27th.View attachment 76800
Thanks Wogga, i’ll try again but with the VIN.

Wondering if the Online Anti-Theft Alarm. “Sends a message to your phone if it detects a break in”
Firstly allows VW to track your van (as BMW) and secondly negate the requirement for some insurance companies who insist on a tracker. As £70 pa is better spent with VW than £150/£200 subscription.
Hi Jester, I believe it will. In We Connect you can select how to receive notifications - email, SMS or both. I’ve set up an Area Alert and get an email advising my vehicle has left the designated area. Of course I already know that because I’m normally driving it :)

I am not holding my breath for a mobile key aka BMW to start the vehicle, as long as I can lock and unlock the vehicle via the app I will be happy. Nice to see the van picture has my mud flaps and comfort mattress on :) We will see on the 27th.View attachment 76800
Success.
Doesn’t look like i’ll ever get the Mobile Key feature! That’s the fate of ALL Model Year 2021 Californias.

F6E015A6-3F02-49F8-BE8B-847110DEB6CB.png

27th is allegedly the go live date,
It doesn’t say that anywhere in the email I got, just gives that as the date the old system is being turned off.

Following the email regarding the pending changes to We Connect/MyVolkswagen we received, I thought I’d check once again with Digital Services about enabling the remote lock/unlock and aux heater features on my MY21 Ocean. Their response is below. It’s official all of us with MY21 builds will NEVER have these features!!

Dear Mr Sparkes,
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.
We regret to hear that you are facing a issue with the We Connect Lock & Unlock and Aux Heater services. However, we are more than glad to assist you.
Please know that your Volkswagen Californai does not feature the necessary hardware components, in order to be compatible with the We Connect Lock & Unlock or remote Aux Heater. These hardware components have to be installed in the car during its production, as they cannot be retrofitted after the car has been delivered.
We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any inconvenience.
We remain at your disposal for any further inquiries you might have. You may reply to this e-mail or call us on our direct line 0800 – 279 7508 (around the clock, 7 days a week). We kindly ask that you indicate your reference number found in the subject of this email for a quick follow-up.
We wish you always safe and pleasant journeys with your favorite Volkswagen California.
Yours faithfully
Your Digital Service Team

Following the email regarding the pending changes to We Connect/MyVolkswagen we received, I thought I’d check once again with Digital Services about enabling the remote lock/unlock and aux heater features on my MY21 Ocean. Their response is below. It’s official all of us with MY21 builds will NEVER have these features!!

Dear Mr Sparkes,
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.
We regret to hear that you are facing a issue with the We Connect Lock & Unlock and Aux Heater services. However, we are more than glad to assist you.
Please know that your Volkswagen Californai does not feature the necessary hardware components, in order to be compatible with the We Connect Lock & Unlock or remote Aux Heater. These hardware components have to be installed in the car during its production, as they cannot be retrofitted after the car has been delivered.
We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any inconvenience.
We remain at your disposal for any further inquiries you might have. You may reply to this e-mail or call us on our direct line 0800 – 279 7508 (around the clock, 7 days a week). We kindly ask that you indicate your reference number found in the subject of this email for a quick follow-up.
We wish you always safe and pleasant journeys with your favorite Volkswagen California.
Yours faithfully
Your Digital Service Team
Not very satisfactory. Customer is not king in the motor industry, surprised they didn't finish the email with a signature box "Tough sing! VW Customer Care".

Not very satisfactory. Customer is not king in the motor industry, surprised they didn't finish the email with a signature box "Tough sing! VW Customer Care".
Agreed.
I’ve responded to them expressing my dissatisfaction (i’m now like a dog with a bone :) ). Will update when they reply.

Agreed.
I’ve responded to them expressing my dissatisfaction (i’m now like a dog with a bone :) ). Will update when they reply.
I’d be interested in what they have to say GG so thanks for sharing. The response they have given you sounds like bullsh*t to me. How can it require additional hardware? And even if it did, why can it not be retrofitted? It seems to me much more likely it’s a software issue and they simply can’t be bothered to pay for the development time to fix the omission. It is such a shame because remote locking/unlocking via an app is a useful feature.

Agreed.
I’d be interested in what they have to say GG so thanks for sharing. The response they have given you sounds like bullsh*t to me. How can it require additional hardware? And even if it did, why can it not be retrofitted? It seems to me much more likely it’s a software issue and they simply can’t be bothered to pay for the development time to fix the omission. It is such a shame because remote locking/unlocking via an app is a useful feature.
Might be worthwhile posting a question on the T6 Forum regarding this conundrum as there are a few experts there who have retrofitted Options that VW have said are impossible such as ACC etc.

That’s a good idea, thanks WG I will try that :thumb

Here’s what I went back to them with:

Thank you for your response. I have to say I’m very disappointed that my vehicle will never support these features and wonder why the required hardware was not installed in the factory? I say this because it is my understanding that MY20 Californias do support these features and MY22 Californias will support them also. Why omit them from MY21 builds? I am paying the same amount for my connected services as MY20 owners but not receiving the same (advertised) feature set.
Regards,
Mike Sparkes

Here’s what I went back to them with:

Thank you for your response. I have to say I’m very disappointed that my vehicle will never support these features and wonder why the required hardware was not installed in the factory? I say this because it is my understanding that MY20 Californias do support these features and MY22 Californias will support them also. Why omit them from MY21 builds? I am paying the same amount for my connected services as MY20 owners but not receiving the same (advertised) feature set.
Regards,
Mike Sparkes
Excellent GG. We await with baited breath :)
In the meantime I have posted a query on the T6 forum as suggested by WG

What’s the difference between WeConnect and WeConnect Go? Seem to be 2 different apps?

Has anybody asked VW if the California supports this? I imagine not and it’s only for ‘keyless go’ vehicles?

8935AB04-46F7-4282-9661-E0AA58D0572C.png

I won'y mention the new side window fly screens, allegedly coming soon on all new 6.1's gratis. Nevermind a lack of kitchen cup holders :)