Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight Limits on raising Cali electric roof

P

passoni24

I often travel with bikes on the roof, either Road or MTB. I refer roof mounting rather than rear bike rack.
What is the weight limit for raising the electric roof, please? I am aware of the max load of 50 kg as stated in the manual for the VW Cali Roof Bars but not the max load the electric mechanism can cope with. 50 kg is not an issue for road bikes but maybe for MTBs incl bars and carriers.
Sure this issue will have been ‘raised’ before re roof boxes but could not find the posts and the dealer did not know.
Thanks

I was told that it was 50kg with roof raised, and 100kg lowered. Does anyone else confirm this please?

Its is definitely 50KG with the roof up and lowered I thought it was 75KG?

Thanks. Very helpful. Did not want to burn out the motor. My roof rack which is a VW Cali compliant one definitely states 50 kg max. Maybe that is the limit on the roof bars an the roof cold take a higher load. Guess the thread re solar panels may have some reference to weight! :thanks

The only references to roof weight limits I can find are Page 52 of the California Supliment and page 21 of the April 2011 Brochure both state 50kg which no mention of a lowered roof limit being highier. That said I thought there was a highier one but I can't find it. The only 75Kg referene I can find is for the tailgate also on page 21 of the brochure

I regularly drive with two sea kayaks on the roof - these + the Karitek roof rack system must weigh in at circa 70kg. While I have been know to 'pop' the roof with one sea kayak still loaded I always off load the boats now - before lifting. It is a small pain that I have grown accustomed to but it saves any risk of burning out the lift motor

I've noticed that the guidance has changed, the brochure now says that the weight limit either up or down is 50kg.

I have a Beach with manual lift, so there's no issue burning out motors in this case. Would you recommend (or not) raising the poptop with two kayaks of total weight approx 40 kg still on the roofrack? I have heard of someone doing this but obviously don't want to damage the roof. I think they used a couple of lengths of wood to hold the roof open.

Thanks!

Had a very frustrating time talking to VW Customer Services. When we bought our Cali in 2011 the brochure clearly states that the roof can take 100kg, and 50kg if raised. The current brochure states 50kg max either raised or lowered! This had massive implications for us and our planned trip to France resulting in far fewer surfboards being taken. It also raised the issue of have we damaged our roof all these years carrying too much weight on the roof. VW couldn't explain the change of specification, have not gotten back to me and appear to have let the question go. As far as I'm concerned I'm either being misled now, and the roof can take up to 100kg; or the we were missold a vehicle back in 2011, with overstated claims. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you have the 2011 brochure, and you abide by the specifications detailed in it with your, I presume 2011 vehicle, then what is the problem.
VW cannot change the specification and make it retrospective without accepting responsibility for any problems.
Maybe the strength and thickness of the 2011 roof is greater than the 2015 roof.

I would suggest photocopying the relevant section in the 2011 and the 2015 brochure and write to VWCS asking why there has been a change?

I can see this was a while ago but is there an update?
I'm looking to put 2 kayaks on the roof next week for a trip to Switzerland, if it was just round the corner I wouldn't be overly worried but I'm guessing approx 70kg.

Has anyone an updated response from VW or their dealer on advice on this. It still appears to be conflicting amongst their sales representative and who you speak to as to the advice you get - question really can you pop the roof with weight, on either the OCean or Beach, and how much weight??

To add to the confusion some more recent info/fake news!

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/kayak-roof-rack-fittings.19442/#post-227376

Personally I think 50kg is as much as I'd want to risk and definitely unload before lifting roof.
It's pretty poor that VW don't seem able to make it clear. I think one of the problems is that customer service might be using generic figures for the Transporter roof rather than the California variant.... Just a thought!

Hi, resurrecting an old thread but would be interested if anyone has heard any recent clarification on how much load you can take on a closed Cali T6 Ocean roof?
As per the thread above it used to be 100kg closed, 50kg open, but more recent advice was 50kg closed/open (which I struggle to understand the logic of).
Reason for the question is I may need to do a long distance house move with a roof box full and also 7 pairs of skis bundled on the rest of the roofrack, so even with light stuff in the roof box the total load is likely to be well over 50kg and nearer 80-100kg.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Can’t see why it would be a problem. I run my beach with two surfskis on the roof , bars etc so total would be near 50kg. Raise it like that as well and did same on my SE. I do bow and tail tie them when I’m driving though.

Has anyone had a recent update from VW saying what the limit for the roof is? I’m assuming 50kg max limit and that the roof will raise with up to 50kg.
Can anyone please confirm this? It only says 50kg in my manual. It doesn’t say if you can raise the roof with with 50kg. Thanks

From my investigations, including a not very helpful call to VW, I agree 50kg is the maximum roof load but nothing stated for load when raising the roof. Given the number of warning statements in the handbook about everything under the sun I would have expected a warning about maximum lift weight.

From my investigations, including a not very helpful call to VW, I agree 50kg is the maximum roof load but nothing stated for load when raising the roof. Given the number of warning statements in the handbook about everything under the sun I would have expected a warning about maximum lift weight.
Do you lift the roof with <50kg load?

Do you lift the roof with <50kg load?
No, although I planned to load canoes, I never did! With the problems people have with the hydraulics I’m loathed to do anything that could damage the seals!

I’ve got a solar panel. VW roof rails and a Thule box on mine. I just want extra space to store bulky but fairly light stuff - west suits and foam body boards for the kids whilst we’re away. Will need to pop the roof though to sleep

I’ve got a solar panel. VW roof rails and a Thule box on mine. I just want extra space to store bulky but fairly light stuff - west suits and foam body boards for the kids whilst we’re away. Will need to pop the roof though to sleep
Why not ask VWUK Customer Services , or PM @Tomdbreeze from Breeze VW Dealership, a Forum member.

I used to be able to lift the SE roof with my two surf skis on it, then plus rack would be about 45kg. On my beach the same exact setup wasn’t happy as it seemed the struts were less powerful to keep it up-used a big stick instead Biggest issue with stuff on the roof is the wind age if it gets windy, while I used to pop it with a single surf ski I mainly took them off as they created a big sail on the roof !

Back