Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weird tyre wear on rear / what tyres to go for next?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
So warranty runs out at the end of the month so I've popped the van in for a final check. Young lad Jack at Coventry Listers Van Centre has been great, as has Dean in the workshop. Got the usual video and they've done a belt tensioner recall whilst it was in (wish VW would notify us of these though).

The video shows a few little issues, so Im glad I booked in with warranty left. The driveshaft / CV is leaking grease on the front right side which thankfully will be sorted under warranty.

I've been very happy with the Good year Vector All Season tyres theyve lasted 26k miles so far and the front still have 2.5mm left even across the whole tyre. The rear has over 7mm left...but...

The rear has a weird ridge like wear pattern which on the video he talks about a "sawing" effect. They are uneven and bumpy... Its not on the edge of the tyre so I dont see it as tracking. Are they just trying to sell me two more tyres or could something else be wrong here? At 185+vat I dont want to buy two vectors from VW ;) Im also nervous about a tyre with almost full tread having a weird wear pattern without any tracking issue.

So should I just get some more vectors elsewhere? Or are there any good alternatives?

I’m not sure if a CV Boot would be covered under the warranty, as for the tyre wear is the van lowered? Or could be incorrect tyre pressures or a bad batch of tyre. (I’m no expert on tyres but that’s my first thoughts)

Bill

So should I just get some more vectors elsewhere?
I wouldn´t get tyres from VW,
You would surely get them cheaper from any other rubber technician, also you could
have another opinion on the unusual wear.

I’m not sure if a CV Boot would be covered under the warranty, as for the tyre wear is the van lowered? Or could be incorrect tyre pressures or a bad batch of tyre. (I’m no expert on tyres but that’s my first thoughts)

Bill
Have you changed avatar.

So warranty runs out at the end of the month so I've popped the van in for a final check. Young lad Jack at Coventry Listers Van Centre has been great, as has Dean in the workshop. Got the usual video and they've done a belt tensioner recall whilst it was in (wish VW would notify us of these though).

The video shows a few little issues, so Im glad I booked in with warranty left. The driveshaft / CV is leaking grease on the front right side which thankfully will be sorted under warranty.

I've been very happy with the Good year Vector All Season tyres theyve lasted 26k miles so far and the front still have 2.5mm left even across the whole tyre. The rear has over 7mm left...but...

The rear has a weird ridge like wear pattern which on the video he talks about a "sawing" effect. They are uneven and bumpy... Its not on the edge of the tyre so I dont see it as tracking. Are they just trying to sell me two more tyres or could something else be wrong here? At 185+vat I dont want to buy two vectors from VW ;) Im also nervous about a tyre with almost full tread having a weird wear pattern without any tracking issue.

So should I just get some more vectors elsewhere? Or are there any good alternatives?
Is the wear pattern one of these?

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/tyres-advice/abnormal-tyre-wear

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-tread-wear-causes

Bill

I don’t think It is the CV boot that’s faulty it’s the driveshaft that’s been flagged which I assume would be more serious. Cv boots pretty cheap if it’s just that :)

Van is on standard suspension and the tyres were absolutely fine 4000 miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm doesn’t really look like those. Closest Is camber wear but it’s not smooth it’s bumpy. Roads are pretty awful these days though.

I would consider going to a proper tyre fitters.

Have you been drifting it? ;)

Seriously, 26000 miles with 7mm tread left is amazing! I had to replace all the tyres on our old 4MOTION at around 16000 miles.

Our new van has come with Hankook Ventus Prime 2 all weather tyres; I thought Hankook were a budget make so maybe VW are getting hard up. It’s too early to give any opinion on them.

The only thing I can think of to cause the tyrewear described is possibly some sort of pulsation effect from the brakes? Maybe a photo might shed some light from someone ...

I had a similar problem on a much older but less well used SE I'd just bought. It was put down to them going out of shape due to infrequent use (will please WelshGas).
You could feel the vibration in the van. I wasn't 100% convinced by the diagnosis so stuck a cheapo pair on, which cured the vibration. I didn't keep the van long enough to know if it reoccurred.

Sounds like a 4 wheel alignment issue. Had something similar and had it adjusted. Damage already done so the tyre can be a little noisy on some road surfaces. I think my nsr was toeing in

Sounds like a 4 wheel alignment issue. Had something similar and had it adjusted. Damage already done so the tyre can be a little noisy on some road surfaces. I think my nsr was toeing in
I had the same problem which I found when I had the van 4 wheel aligned.
The rear n\s was toe in and the o/s front was toe out. Not by much but sufficient to wear the tyres. It was basically trying to run slightly crab-tracked.

When I replaced the tyres last month the fronts had worn evenly across the full width of the tread down to the 1.6mm marker.

Alan

Are Hankook Ventus Prime 2 all weather tyres? Amazon state they are summer tyres & other tyre dealer adverts do not claim they are all weather.

Are Hankook Ventus Prime 2 all weather tyres? Amazon state they are summer tyres & other tyre dealer adverts do not claim they are all weather.
If correct, you're telling me something I was unaware of. According to the vehicle invoice it is fitted with all weather tyres (no cost option), but doesn't specify the make.
0EA1E8B0-4390-42E1-817C-1F26F5BB2FED.jpeg

If correct, you're telling me something I was unaware of. According to the vehicle invoice it is fitted with all weather tyres (no cost option), but doesn't specify the make.
View attachment 31868
Hankook Ventus Prime 2 , definitely a Summer tyre.

I notice it states “ All weather “, not “ All Season “.

Hankook Ventus Prime 2 , definitely a Summer tyre.

I notice it states “ All weather “, not “ All Season “.
So they must be OK in snow and ice, as long as it's summer! ;)

Just had a quick Google and Blackcircles & Mytyres don't list any all season tyres in my size, only winter or summer ones. I guess they may have been specified but deleted by the wheel choice.

That’s the problem with larger wheel sizes your tyre choice becomes more limited.

Definitely worth considering four wheel laser alignment, with a copy of the before-and-after report.

Thanks for taking time to respond I had a good look at options but in the end Ive gone for more of the same, 2 Goodyear Vector 235/55 R17 SUV/Load Rated. £144 a tyre fitted (VW wanted £185+ vat). They have been phenomenal and lasted 26k miles (and still legal technically with 2.3mm), the fact I have the slower 114 I think helps too.

Showed a tyre chap and he said as the fronts are so low they would lose grip and can cause the wear pattern (explains the "sawing" effect the engineer described) but so can wheels being off alignment. Recommended alignment checked as well but as VW are doing some work on the drive shaft in a couple weeks Ill get that done after to safe having it undone.

He reckoned the tyres were fine however and not an MOT fail so I'm keeping them for now. Not keen on wasting 7mm tyres but will keep an eye on them. ;) So £288 out of pocket for 2 tyres but if they last 2 + years like this set its great value.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking time to respond I had a good look at options but in the end Ive gone for more of the same, 2 Goodyear Vector 235/55 R17 SUV/Load Rated. £144 a tyre fitted (VW wanted £185+ vat). They have been phenomenal and lasted 26k miles (and still legal technically with 2.3mm), the fact I have the slower 114 I think helps too.

Showed a tyre chap and he said as the fronts are so low they would lose grip and can cause the wear pattern (explains the "sawing" effect the engineer described) but so can wheels being off alignment. Recommended alignment checked as well but as VW are doing some work on the drive shaft in a couple weeks Ill get that done after to safe having it undone.

He reckoned the tyres were fine however and not an MOT fail so I'm keeping them for now. Not keen on wasting 7mm tyres but will keep an eye on them. ;) So £288 out of pocket for 2 tyres but if they last 2 + years like this set its great value.
Good news. Might be worthwhile considering swopping tyres front to back or your rear tyres might still be legal but 4+ yrs old when the new front tyres wear out.

Good news. Might be worthwhile considering swopping tyres front to back or your rear tyres might still be legal but 4+ yrs old when the new front tyres wear out.

Yes that’s a good idea, may as well get them working :)

I did that when I was a young boy racer in my Nova GTE in the late 80s.

After 8000 miles (from new) my front tyres were worn so I swapped then with the back. Went around a roundabout on the way to college and lost the rear end in the dry. Slightly alarming for a front wheel drive car.

I’ve had something similar occur on my MY17 150 DSG Ocean. After about 17000 miles I started to hear a speed-related droning noise, which reminded me of a worn wheel bearing. VW technician says it’s due to uneven wear on the n/s rear tyre. Similar problem on o/s rear but not yet audible. They still have the van and have swapped the tyres to the front and suggest no other action currently needed.

I have never had this before and am concerned about the cause. Seems to me that this is either a manufacturing flaw or else there is a problem with the van.

Had VW lower the van from new and perform a 4 wheel alignment

I’m off on a long trip next weekend, so I’m worried about traveling a couple of 000 miles without fixing this.

What do the collective think?

I’ve had something similar occur on my MY17 150 DSG Ocean. After about 17000 miles I started to hear a speed-related droning noise, which reminded me of a worn wheel bearing. VW technician says it’s due to uneven wear on the n/s rear tyre. Similar problem on o/s rear but not yet audible. They still have the van and have swapped the tyres to the front and suggest no other action currently needed.

I have never had this before and am concerned about the cause. Seems to me that this is either a manufacturing flaw or else there is a problem with the van.

Had VW lower the van from new and perform a 4 wheel alignment

I’m off on a long trip next weekend, so I’m worried about traveling a couple of 000 miles without fixing this.

What do the collective think?

When you had the wheel alignment done did they use a laser system and give you a before and after report? Just wondering whether something might have gone adrift there.