Well......I've gone and done it!!!!!

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Yep, that's right I placed my order today for an Ocean - 150ps DSG, Acapulco Blue inc the dash trim! The other options are normal stuff as my budget was a max £50k. Wheels, Side bars and stuff like this will have to wait. Delivery looks like March '17. Jeeez, that's going to be a long wait!! Oh well.....on to my Christmas and Birthday lists. :happy:happy Just need to make sure family and friends are listening wont I.;) The Journey starts here.....
VW-Cali.png

Cheers for now! Rik (can't wait for the enjoyment to begin!!)

Great stuff ,during the loooong wait lots to read on the forum , you might pop in to a meet and check things out....get to know people.

Good to hear you have taken the plunge. You won't be disappointed. Next meet is at East Fleet should you wish to come and see us and ask as many questions as you like... :)

Good to hear you have taken the plunge. You won't be disappointed. Next meet is at East Fleet should you wish to come and see us and ask as many questions as you like... :)
Thanks for this, just a couple of things. What is the date of the meet and where can find details of others?

Cheers, Rik

Thanks for this, just a couple of things. What is the date of the meet and where can find details of others?

Cheers, Rik
Details of formal club meets can be found here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/official-forum-meets.70/

and details of informal meets are here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/informal-meets.71/

East Fleet is an informal one. Go along if you can. We bought our van in March and went along to the Tewksbury meet a couple of weeks later. It was great to meet other owners and pick-up lots of hints and tips.

Details of formal club meets can be found here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/official-forum-meets.70/

and details of informal meets are here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/informal-meets.71/

East Fleet is an informal one. Go along if you can. We bought our van in March and went along to the Tewksbury meet a couple of weeks later. It was great to meet other owners and pick-up lots of hints and tips.
Thanks for helping a newbie DM, will have a look in detail. Rik

Thanks for helping a newbie
You're welcome. This forum was invaluable to be when I was spec'ing our van. Also with advice about insurance, warranty, accessories and in dealing with build errors (although mine were minor compared to some).

Ask away. Someone will know the answer or point you in the right direction. There are one or two grumps (no names) who will winge about using the search function but they're soft hearted really (and can't ususally resist helping out in the end). :)

March 2017 is a long wait but the forum will help pass the time. It'll be worth the wait in the end. Our Ocean is acapulco blue as well. I wasn't sure but I was over-ruled by the female members of the DM clan (and I got to choose everything else :D) . But no regrets having taken delivery. It looks very good.

You're welcome. This forum was invaluable to be when I was spec'ing our van. Also with advice about insurance, warranty, accessories and in dealing with build errors (although mine were minor compared to some).

Ask away. Someone will know the answer or point you in the right direction. There are one or two grumps (no names) who will winge about using the search function but they're soft hearted really (and can't ususally resist helping out in the end). :)

March 2017 is a long wait but the forum will help pass the time. It'll be worth the wait in the end. Our Ocean is acapulco blue as well. I wasn't sure but I was over-ruled by the female members of the DM clan (and I got to choose everything else :D) . But no regrets having taken delivery. It looks very good.
Thanks for the very kind welcome DM. Mis builds? From a German company? I have only experienced a mis build once and that was on a FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow!!). Spec was a 5 speed manual. It arrived with a 5 speed manual stick but was a 6 speed manual. I changed the stick knob and silently thanked FIAT!!
If I am honest I picked the colour because I want a coloured dash insert (not all colours have this option) rather than the all black - I fear for the maintenance of the shiny piano black glove box! It will still be a long wait but patience is a virtue and I do have Christmas and a Birthday between now and delivery so maybe I'll get a few goodies to add to the excitement!!:D:D

Mis builds? From a German company?
To be strictly accurate my issue was an incorrect order placed by the dealer (all sorted out to my satisfaction eventually). But there are several examples of incorrect builds by the factory around the forum - including one built with the wrong engine a couple of days ago. But I don't mean to cause alarm. Most turn up exactly as ordered. You won't regret it.

To be strictly accurate my issue was an incorrect order placed by the dealer (all sorted out to my satisfaction eventually). But there are several examples of incorrect builds by the factory around the forum - including one built with the wrong engine a couple of days ago. But I don't mean to cause alarm. Most turn up exactly as ordered. You won't regret it.
Of course I expect the build to be correct but my background is manufacturing and we all make mistakes. Its how they are dealt with that is the real important test of a company. So I am reassured. Thanks Rik.

@DM
Calling me grumpy and softy....?

Yep, that's right I placed my order today for an Ocean - 150ps DSG, Acapulco Blue inc the dash trim! The other options are normal stuff as my budget was a max £50k. Wheels, Side bars and stuff like this will have to wait. Delivery looks like March '17. Jeeez, that's going to be a long wait!! Oh well.....on to my Christmas and Birthday lists. :happy:happy Just need to make sure family and friends are listening wont I.;) The Journey starts here.....
View attachment 15952

Cheers for now! Rik (can't wait for the enjoyment to begin!!)
Well done! The race is on now, mine is due March as well. The anticipation of a new toy arriving is always a the best bit :)

Hi Jabberwokky,

Congrats on your no doubt eagerly awaited purchase! We've ordered an Acapulco blue as well, and I love that dash insert, that would be a great 'nod' to my old air-cooled buses ;)

Would you mind if I asked how much the option has cost you? I've still not yet had a confirmed build date (unconfirmed build date of week 41, currently...) so with any luck I might be able to add that to the list...

Many thanks, Carole

Hi Jabberwokky,

Congrats on your no doubt eagerly awaited purchase! We've ordered an Acapulco blue as well, and I love that dash insert, that would be a great 'nod' to my old air-cooled buses ;)

Would you mind if I asked how much the option has cost you? I've still not yet had a confirmed build date (unconfirmed build date of week 41, currently...) so with any luck I might be able to add that to the list...

Many thanks, Carole
Hi Carole, yes I agree with you, a small nod!

The option is £120 and for me an option to set a van apart from most of the others as its not an option on all colours. VW part code is 5MN. Hope this helps your decision. Kind Regards, Rik

Thank you Rik, decision made, that was probably the easiest option decision to make...:confused:

I emailed the dealer this morning and asked for it to be added to my specification, lets hope its not too late to add it! I also added the pic you attached in an earlier post and the part code.

Bit odd that the dealer didn't mention it before, seems to me that a lot of people would like it, especially folks like me that cut our teeth on air-cooled buses. Probably wasn't aware of it maybe, until I saw your post I didn't know about it, and I'd spent weeks researching all the options on here! Ah well, hopefully it can be added.

Many thanks again :thumb

Hi Carole, yes I agree with you, a small nod!

The option is £120 and for me an option to set a van apart from most of the others as its not an option on all colours. VW part code is 5MN. Hope this helps your decision. Kind Regards, Rik
Would have loved it in yellow but the powers at vw thought that might be too much fun and freedom for a customer to have!

Thank you Rik, decision made, that was probably the easiest option decision to make...:confused:

I emailed the dealer this morning and asked for it to be added to my specification, lets hope its not too late to add it! I also added the pic you attached in an earlier post and the part code.

Bit odd that the dealer didn't mention it before, seems to me that a lot of people would like it, especially folks like me that cut our teeth on air-cooled buses. Probably wasn't aware of it maybe, until I saw your post I didn't know about it, and I'd spent weeks researching all the options on here! Ah well, hopefully it can be added.

Many thanks again :thumb
Hope its not too late........here's hoping with fingers crossed for you.

Boo :(

The good news is I can add the coloured dash insert to the order...the BAD news is that it will most likely result in my order going to the back of the queue and having to be re-started. Which, is a bit rubbish in my view, given that the build date is at least 6 weeks away!! :headbang :headbang

'Computer says NO' says the dealer, once the order is locked in, that's it, can't be changed. I have no issue with the dealer as their hands are tied, but, poor customer service from VW in my view.

I'm a die-hard VW fan having had numerous air-cooled vans, a T25 Westy, a T4 Westy, etc etc, but even I'm feeling a bit fed up with VW right now. Poor customer service frankly, having to wait at least 6 months in the first place is bad enough!! The dealers must get sick of people moaning about it.

Anyway..... its hardly life-threatening, I can live without it. As it's most likely to be the week of Christmas before my Cali appears on my drive, I'm not running the risk of waiting until Easter before I see it!!

Rant over ;)

Boo :(

The good news is I can add the coloured dash insert to the order...the BAD news is that it will most likely result in my order going to the back of the queue and having to be re-started. Which, is a bit rubbish in my view, given that the build date is at least 6 weeks away!! :headbang :headbang

'Computer says NO' says the dealer, once the order is locked in, that's it, can't be changed. I have no issue with the dealer as their hands are tied, but, poor customer service from VW in my view.

I'm a die-hard VW fan having had numerous air-cooled vans, a T25 Westy, a T4 Westy, etc etc, but even I'm feeling a bit fed up with VW right now. Poor customer service frankly, having to wait at least 6 months in the first place is bad enough!! The dealers must get sick of people moaning about it.

Anyway..... its hardly life-threatening, I can live without it. As it's most likely to be the week of Christmas before my Cali appears on my drive, I'm not running the risk of waiting until Easter before I see it!!

Rant over ;)
That's a shame. I understand your frustration :headbang at VW but maybe I should defend them a little here. I have worked in Just in Time (JIT) and Managed supply Manufacturing (MSM) most of my working life and have some sympathy with them in juggling the smooth running of a production line with varying leadtimes for all the differing components and up-holding great customer satisfaction. The fact of the matter is that neither the car manufacturers nor their suppliers or their subcontractors hold any stock of any components, they all make to order against firm customer orders and once that supply chain is in motion any change can cause a great deal of disruption even increased costs. (this is particularly true with uncommon optional components as these tend to have some of the longest leadtimes). So what the manufacturer dose is remove the whole finished item from their production schedule and treat it as a new order, as you said it goes to the back of the queue! It might seem harsh but I am sure VW see this as upsetting one customer, unfortunately you in this case, versus potentially moving delivery dates out for everyone else. It is a massive balancing act for any complex assembly process. I don't suppose the above makes you feel any better but it might explain a little why VW seem a little inflexible.

VW have 7 stages of their order to delivery process and the further they get into the stages the more disruptive changes can mean. The seven stages are:

1. Processing your order
  2. With the factory
  3. Build week confirmed
  4. Build in progress
  5. In transit
  6. Arrived in the UK
  7. Nearly there
  8. Delivered
If you follow this link you can see what VW say about order changes (only possible in stages 1 & 2).
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order/faq

Did you seen the news recently when VW had some disputes with certain suppliers? The effect of stoppage in supply was instant. 27,000 workers in Germany were laid off until supply was restored. Thats a big cost and a lot of potential rescheduling.

Look on the brightside, by taking delivery at Christmas you avoid the new VED charges coming into force on April 1st and spend the money you saved on some nice accessories for your new P & J.;)

Just a thought, have you asked your dealer if there is any chance of a dealer fit option?

• Informative
Reactions: Loz