Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Went for a Golf, came back with an Ocean

L

leondavies911

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
So I set out with the wife and kids last weekend to find a new runaround and after visiting a few showrooms and not finding anything that I liked, we somehow got looking at a Cali and our world has changed!

We had always envisioned buying a camper later in life but we had money set aside for some home improvements and my wife came out with..."home improvements aren't going to make memories while the kids are young" and she's absolutely right. So we've decided to jump into this world and get ourselves a Cali Ocean, travel with the kids and make some memories.

I live in Bournemouth with my wife and 4 kids who have 12 legs between them. We have been dealing with the Breeze team in Poole who have been great so far! We've found one in bay-leaf green, which is slowly growing on me (we'll probably get a two-tone wrap).

Hope to have one on the drive by the end of the month and looking forward to meeting/interacting with you all!

So I set out with the wife and kids last weekend to find a new runaround and after visiting a few showrooms and not finding anything that I liked, we somehow got looking at a Cali and our world has changed!

We had always envisioned buying a camper later in life but we had money set aside for some home improvements and my wife came out with..."home improvements aren't going to make memories while the kids are young" and she's absolutely right. So we've decided to jump into this world and get ourselves a Cali Ocean, travel with the kids and make some memories.

I live in Bournemouth with my wife and 4 kids who have 12 legs between them. We have been dealing with the Breeze team in Poole who have been great so far! We've found one in bay-leaf green, which is slowly growing on me (we'll probably get a two-tone wrap).

Hope to have one on the drive by the end of the month and looking forward to meeting/interacting with you all!
Wow that’s going to be one full California Ocean......

Kudos for the spontaneity. From decision to pickup I had to wait well over 2 years.
I am curious how you plan to travel 6 up with all the clobber that follows a family of 6. An extra row of seats is needed which will seriously eat into available storage space. Will you tow a trailer? Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Kudos for the spontaneity. From decision to pickup I had to wait well over 2 years.
I am curious how you plan to travel 6 up with all the clobber that follows a family of 6. An extra row of seats is needed which will seriously eat into available storage space. Will you tow a trailer? Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
Last time I looked it was illegal to carry your kids in a trailer.lol.....

yeah it’s going to be interesting for sure. It’s actually 2 kids, both girls, and 2 golden labs…although one is a bit of an old Ill boy at the moment so not sure how long he’ll be enjoying it with us.

yeah it’s going to be interesting for sure. It’s actually 2 kids, both girls, and 2 golden labs…although one is a bit of an old Ill boy at the moment so not sure how long he’ll be enjoying it with us.
Ah Ok, now I get the 12 leg quip. Still, that will be a tight squeeze unless you have chihuahua's

2 kids upstairs, 2 adults downstairs, the old boy by your feet and the other curled up on the captain's seat - happy days! Enjoy

WOW! now that IS the way to do it....... good man :thumb

Last edited:
Exciting! Have you considered buying new?

I think your wife is a keeper :Iamsorry

Congrats on the impending purchase

Welcome and hope you have many happy travels. I can see a drive away awning on your horizon.

IMG_0322.jpeg

I don’t know the ages of your girls, but I think you should take a good look at a California Beach.

While you will need to take your own cooker and washing up bowl, it offers much more space and flexibility than an Ocean, including the option to carry grandparents (and their dogs) in addition to your family.

We spent a full year travelling around Europe in our Beach with two boys (age 2 & 3 at the beginning of the year) and two dogs.

I’ve never regretted the decision to buy a Beach. The kitchen is usually outside or made up in our driveaway awning.

Great story! Life is for living. I really wish we’d be able to afford a van when our kids were younger, they were 12 when we got it and loved it but are now 14 and getting a bit grumpy about being dragged away from their friends to go on camping trips. Soon we’ll be able to leave them at home though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a van to take stuff to the tip in or to use as a taxi for carting all those relatives around in there is no denying that a beach is the van for you.
On the other hand if you are buying to go camping in you can’t beat an Ocean.

thanks for the comments! We did look at the beach as well, we’ve spent quite a while researching since last weekend and decided the ocean was the way to go for us and placed the deposit down on Friday…exciting times and now the planning for the first trip begins!

What’s the recommendation? Keen to hear people’s first trip experiences especially with dogs and kids (although sadly it may be dog before we pick it up)

thanks for the comments! We did look at the beach as well, we’ve spent quite a while researching since last weekend and decided the ocean was the way to go for us and placed the deposit down on Friday…exciting times and now the planning for the first trip begins!

What’s the recommendation? Keen to hear people’s first trip experiences especially with dogs and kids (although sadly it may be dog before we pick it up)
Our first trip was to Swanage: boys aged 1 & 3, two dogs AND our au pair.

I slept upstairs with the 3 year old, Clare and the au pair slept downstairs with the one year old. The dogs slept on the front seats.

It rained near continuously all weekend, including thunder and lightning.

When packing up I couldn’t find the bag the roof topper goes in (an essential bit of kit in stormy weather, keeping rain off the canvass pop top. I’d assumed it had blown away in the storm, but couldn’t find it in any hedgerows.

It turned up at Fleet services when a confused motorist asked me why I had a bag tied onto our bike rack…

Brilliant decision, I admire you both. I wish we’d done the same 20 years ago. Mind you, now the kids want to borrow our van for themselves ;)

Sorry to hear about your older dog. It’s never an easy time.