Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Coast of France

Daisymaisy

Daisymaisy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for nice places to stay in the west Coast of France? We will head to Oleron as been before but any other nice places/areas to stay? Thanks

You will find many campsites on the coast full this time of year. Some sites require you to stay for at least a week. Wild camping in the summer is outlawed everywhere. If you can live without the sea and beaches you're better off further inland. If you can go a bit later (after mid August) you may have more luck on the coast.

Really, we have been going for years travelling Europe in the van and never normally book anything, we just turned up at Oleron a few summers ago and was fine and never stay in one place for a week! Hopefully not many people will be going this year then

I dont know how fully booked they all are at the moment, France has been heavily hit too, just call ahead, some sites have pitches they reserve and don’t show up online.

The west coast is long :)
My experiences north to south:
- Dune de Pila near the bassin of Arcachon (oysters!), many campsites. Quite the detour, if short holiday move directly more south.
- Moliets - (https://www.camping-saint-martin.fr/) just walk over a dune and your on the beach, haven’t been there last 10 years but back then it was heavenly. Of the sandbars are up for it, the surf is great.
- just over the border in beautiful Basque country: Zarautz campsite up on the hill, secretly connected to and old stone factory thing, I can’t really explain but it features a small island and 10-13 meter (depending on the tide) jumps into the sea for the brave. Beautiful place, busy but it’s worth it. Protected bay so great for surfing !

Basque country is beautiful, weather can be fickle.

Never had a problem finding a campsite in the height of the season in either France Italy or Spain, possibly just been lucky but I have never booked a site in Europe.

Daisymaisy, we just pitch up and if we like we stay for a few days and if we don't we leave it makes a holiday seem more like an adventure.

I would have thought that what with Covid-19 and the restrictions that come most camp sites will be taking reduced numbers for all sorts of reasons. Normally we don’t book but this year........advance booking would be wise I think.

If anyone believes that this year will be like last year or any other year then they must be living on a different planet. Have fun, but things will be very different.
The shows not over till the fat lady sings, as they say. The trouble is the fat lady is in hospital.

Any decent site within walking distance of a beach likely to be fully booked in peak season.

We are off to France next Thursday and have booked a site on the Dordogne followed by Amboise for 3 nights each, these have been booked over the last 3 weeks with no issues for space unless you want specific views, the rest we will be using the Aires. You will find somewhere even if its inland. Have a great time and keep a look out on the forums and Facebook pages for peoples travels.

Any decent site within walking distance of a beach likely to be fully booked in peak season.
I suppose it depends on what people call decent. We prefer quite sites with good clean facilities but the next person may want a pool and club or bar. I suspect the latter fill quickly.

I suppose it depends on what people call decent. We prefer quite sites with good clean facilities but the next person may want a pool and club or bar. I suspect the latter fill quickly.

Same here

Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for nice places to stay in the west Coast of France? We will head to Oleron as been before but any other nice places/areas to stay? Thanks
Can't help you on the West coast but we live in SW France, in the millevache national park not far from Lac Vassiviere and close to campsites. Because the French have been encouraged to holiday in France this year due to the dreaded C word we are finding sites are full to bursting and no shortage of campervans coming to our house asking if we know any others (they see our Westie out front).

You may be lucky without pre booking but our experience so far here is if you don't have a space you won't get in.

Bonne chance!

Tony and Deb

Thanks everyone for your replies, we have travelled quite a bit of Europe over the last 20 years and lived in France for a while so are quite aware that it will be different, especially with our jobs!
We are just looking for a few nice places to try other than our usual Oleron area, we have a secluded campsite on the beach we have found that has loads of space and also our regular Dordogne stop always have a space for us if needed.
Thank you to those that have recommended areas.

I can vouch for this place on the west coast, very nice campsite, busy but there were empty pitches last year, we arrived a day early and they were able to accommodate us in another pitch until our pitch became available the next day ( when our original booked dates started)

We have been to so many ( including lle d' Oleron ) almost all of France over the many years and never been to Scotland! it is personal choice, what i might suggest is what you won't like if you went there? best to research the area that you would like to visit. just below there is Saint-Palais-sur-Mer. Have been there a few times over the years. Then you have Royan.
If you have ACSI, will save you £££'s and some very good campsites to be found!
I can't see us going this year, so our ACSI books to be made redundant, nice to see how all you 'daring ones' get on though, with the locals, shopping ect ,ect !

We have been to so many ( including lle d' Oleron ) almost all of France over the many years and never been to Scotland! it is personal choice, what i might suggest is what you won't like if you went there? best to research the area that you would like to visit. just below there is Saint-Palais-sur-Mer. Have been there a few times over the years. Then you have Royan.
If you have ACSI, will save you £££'s and some very good campsites to be found!
I can't see us going this year, so our ACSI books to be made redundant, nice to see how all you 'daring ones' get on though, with the locals, shopping ect ,ect !
Thanks for the info, ACSI is no good for us as we go at peak times but have saved loads in the past with it

So now it looks like a no no for Spain and possibly France this year due to 2nd wave..latest news...so sad ! :-(

Quiet, dog friendly, adult only for us, no clubhouse, pool or similar and we are happy.

hi im intrested in your carpet for sale