Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Coast Scotland tour 2019

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi All
I have rather ambitiously booked our tour of west coast Scotland plus Edinburgh for last week of June and first week of July this year.

If the Cali hasn’t arrived by then (it’s on order) then we’ll just have to do by tent.

Thought I would share itinerary and sites (which I decided on based on a mixture of recommendations from old threads on Forum (special thanks to Matt and Colin) and availability and basic customer service ie did they reply to my emails or phone calls.

I will update with photos and a brief description similar to @Amarillo but obviously a lot less ambitious.

So the itinerary

It will be my wife and Barney the golden retriever.

Set off Friday 21/6 from deepest Essex
Arrive old Hall holiday park - Leeds late checkin 11pm to break journey.
Sat & sun 22 & 23rd June- Morton Hall Edinburgh.
Mon 24th June - Red Deer - Glasgow
Tues 25th Oban Gallanchmore Farm
Ferry Mull
26&27th June Shieldigg Craignure
Ferry back
28 & 29th Fort William- Bunree Caravan club site
Jacobite train to Mallaig on Saturday.
30th June ferry to Skye stay at Kinloch Canpsite 30/1st July.
2nd July Road bridge to Applecross stay over
3rd 4th July - lochness shores Camping
5th July travel to Old hall via Inverness and overnight to break journey on Saturday back to Essex.

I will post pictures and reviews of sites and tour as we go but just wanted to share and see if I can inspire anyone else on Forum to do a tour of west coast this year.

I have rather ambitiously booked our tour of west coast Scotland plus Edinburgh for last week of June and first week of July this year.
Enjoy the trip but don’t forget the midge masks! :D

So the itinerary

It will be my wife and Barney the golden retriever.

Set off Friday 21/6 from deepest Essex
Arrive old Hall holiday park - Leeds late checkin 11pm to break journey.
Sat & sun 22 & 23rd June- Morton Hall Edinburgh.
Mon 24th June - Red Deer - Glasgow
Tues 25th Oban Gallanchmore Farm
Ferry Mull
26&27th June Shieldigg Craignure
Ferry back
28 & 29th Fort William- Bunree Caravan club site
Jacobite train to Mallaig on Saturday.
30th June ferry to Skye stay at Kinloch Canpsite 30/1st July.
2nd July Road bridge to Applecross stay over
3rd 4th July - lochness shores Camping
5th July travel to Old hall via Inverness and overnight to break journey on Saturday back to Essex.

I will post pictures and reviews of sites and tour as we go but just wanted to share and see if I can inspire anyone else on Forum to do a tour of west coast this year.

We will probably do West Scotland trip but from 25th July until 4th August.

We will probably do West Scotland trip but from 25th July until 4th August.
I’ll let you know how we go and any learnings etc. We are playing it safe and booking camp sites as it our first time in Scotland and forum advises book if it’s Scottish school holidays, which it is just. :)

We will be setting off from Essex to Scotland first two weeks of July, our first major road trip. Will certainly use some of your info re campsites. Stop off at Falkirk wheel is a must for me. Happy trip be it tent or Cali. :cheers

We will be setting off from Essex to Scotland first two weeks of July, our first major road trip. Will certainly use some of your info re campsites. Stop off at Falkirk wheel is a must for me. Happy trip be it tent or Cali. :cheers
Thanks Lorri
Hopefully we will both have a good trip (fingers crossed the Cali gets delivered May)
One tip all the campsite owners gave me was book ferries to Mull and Skye in advance if you have prebooked a campsite (although you can drive to Skye hour or so uo the coast)
Happy camping :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

We're touring the West coast the last two months of May, but have decided rather than planning and booking ahead, we will take each day as it comes. That way we can stay on somewhere if we like it. But I think if we were going in June, I would do what you are doing.

We went in September I think and didn't plan anything ahead, never had any trouble getting a site. Even the busiest ones weren't close to full.

I think near school holidays it can't hurt to book ahead, so good plan.

Worth noting that besides the shores of Loch Lomond, "wild" camping in a campervan is generally tolerated in Scotland & often in remote places there are public facilities that are open 24 hours. So you are very unlikely to be hassled if you park up somewhere quiet.

True wild camping (i.e. in a tent, in the wild) is protected in Scottish law.

Worth noting that besides the shores of Loch Lomond, "wild" camping in a campervan is generally tolerated in Scotland & often in remote places there are public facilities that are open 24 hours. So you are very unlikely to be hassled if you park up somewhere quiet.

True wild camping (i.e. in a tent, in the wild) is protected in Scottish law.
Suggest anyone visiting downloads the Scottish Access code available on the web. It outlines what is and not permitted and allows you to answer if you come upon someone who objects. All land is owned and the access code specifically does not cover motorised transport so it is not wild camping but discreet stays. Very few will object to this if considerate.
Wild camping also has restrictions and the use of motorised vehicles to gain access is restricted.

Suggest anyone visiting downloads the Scottish Access code available on the web. It outlines what is and not permitted and allows you to answer if you come upon someone who objects. All land is owned and the access code specifically does not cover motorised transport so it is not wild camping but discreet stays. Very few will object to this if considerate.
Wild camping also has restrictions and the use of motorised vehicles to gain access is restricted.

well put. the term 'wild' camping in the context of campervans etc is a bit of a misnomer!

What a great trip you have planned and I recognise many of the sites as I live in the West of Scotland. Visiting some of the Islands is also well worth it if you can fit it in. Oh and as stated midge repellent is essential !!

Thanks for the itinerary, I look forward to seeing the posting of your actual experience. Scotland is staggeringly beautiful, Edinburgh and Glasgow are both full of life and history. Last but definitely not least you will find the Scottish folk helpful, kind and welcoming, we always try and buy fuel and supplies from the local communities who very much live on the edge. Enjoy.

What a great trip you have planned and I recognise many of the sites as I live in the West of Scotland. Visiting some of the Islands is also well worth it if you can fit it in. Oh and as stated midge repellent is essential !!
Hi Fergie
Will try to visit more islands - do you have any suggestions for midge repellent?
Thanks

Thanks for the itinerary, I look forward to seeing the posting of your actual experience. Scotland is staggeringly beautiful, Edinburgh and Glasgow are both full of life and history. Last but definitely not least you will find the Scottish folk helpful, kind and welcoming, we always try and buy fuel and supplies from the local communities who very much live on the edge. Enjoy.
Will do - I agree buying from the local shops and restaurants is all part of helping local communities be sustainable :cheers

Hi All

If the Cali hasn’t arrived by then (it’s on order) then we’ll just have to do by tent.

Thought I would share itinerary and sites (which I decided on based on a mixture of recommendations from old threads on Forum (special thanks to Matt and Colin) and availability and basic customer service ie did they reply to my emails or phone calls.

I will update with photos and a brief description similar to @Amarillo but obviously a lot less ambitious.

Hi All

We’ve had our Cali a few months and our first tour will be doing the nc 500 , we’re going in may so don’t have to live with the midgies , we were just going and not booking any sites as imagine plenty camping sites that time of year

11212BEC-3F9B-44A7-A47C-D6AD36F10E37.jpeg

We’ve had our Cali a few months and our first tour will be doing the nc 500 , we’re going in may so don’t have to live with the midgies , we were just going and not booking any sites as imagine plenty camping sites that time of year

View attachment 41109
Hi Barry
When I did my research - before the school holidays visits you will be fine not booking.
The NC 500 looks amazing- if we do get time around Inverness we will try to see the start of it but I think it’s worthy of a whole road trip in itself like your doing.
Drive the “skyfall road” from James Bond film on your way up?

The best midget repellent we've found is Smidge - they sell it everywhere up there, it works & it smells nice. I've tried everything (other repellents, Skin-so-soft etc) but Smidge is my favourite. You may need it even if you're going in May, if you're lucky enough to have good weather. Another tip is to find a windy campsite!

There’s a VERY basic site at the Falkirk wheel, but if you drive a few miles down the road you'll get parked up overnight at the Kelpies, it’s a must see if your in the area.

Back