Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westafalia Deatchable Towbar Review

Does anyone know if you can get a wider neck? I have the factory fitted towbar and when input my bike rack on, the bikes handlebar touches the back windscreen. Can I get a wider neck?

Does anyone know if you can get a wider neck?

85ba4cb677dcda22a3724cc070cf4e29.jpg

Stretching seems to work for these people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure the copper rings would work on the Cali

Does anyone know if you can get a wider neck? I have the factory fitted towbar and when input my bike rack on, the bikes handlebar touches the back windscreen. Can I get a wider neck?
Officially, Westfalia will say No.
However, the quick release mechanism is the same but the Detachable Towball varies in length depending on the vehicle bumper depth.
A Forum member has used an Audi Towball which is longer. Westfalia will not recommend this.

Post 49

As @WelshGas says Westfalia will not and cannot recommend this.

I contacted Westfalia who were helpful in explaining that VW give the Towbar design criteria as to tow ball distance and loading from the towbar chassis mounting points (bolt holes to be specific). Any non standard towball hitch would be outside this spec.
You can find your own alternative but bear the above in mind.

Easiest option would be to have a fixed towbar and inset a spacer behind the bolt on towball, various sizes are available. Not much help once a detachable one fitted.

Mike,
I have the Atera rack, the 3 bike version. FWIW ..... Although not for the reason you mention, I always turn the handle bars through 90 degrees and mount the bikes nose to tail on the rack. This should give the wriggle room you need, however, once the bars are turned for transportation, or reorientated for riding, do remember to tighten up the bolts to the recommended torque.....

you could also carry a small allen key in the van an tilt the handlebar slightly

Back