Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Western Isles/Outer Hebrides-May 2019

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just finishing our tour of the Western Isles. Just a couple of tips if you are coming this way. ALL the campsites on ALL of the islands are very busy...don’t think you are going to be able to rock up and get a pitch. Our campsite a couple of days ago had to turn away twelve vans! The ferries are equally busy. Some folks who hadn’t booked in advance had to wait until the next day, or the day after that to get a space. The islands are fabulous, the beaches incredible, the food (in restaurants etc) very, very good.

We’ve just come back from the Western Isles last night-Lewis, Harris and North Uist and can confirm what you said. Exceptionally busy everywhere. We’ve been many times over the years and we’ve never seen it as busy so early in the season.

Just finishing our tour of the Western Isles. Just a couple of tips if you are coming this way. ALL the campsites on ALL of the islands are very busy...don’t think you are going to be able to rock up and get a pitch. Our campsite a couple of days ago had to turn away twelve vans! The ferries are equally busy. Some folks who hadn’t booked in advance had to wait until the next day, or the day after that to get a space. The islands are fabulous, the beaches incredible, the food (in restaurants etc) very, very good.
Been the Western Isles a number of times including early May last year for 3 weeks, it was quite quiet then. Look like words gotten out what a beautiful place it is

There has been a significant increase in big whites touring in the north of Scotland, many of them hired. The volume now using the NC500 is getting greater every year and rapidly becoming excessive. Our single track roads were never intended to take this level of traffic and the surface is being damaged. It will only be a matter of time before restrictions come into place. Examples of bad behaviour is now not uncommon - Some misuse the privilege and even empty their porta potti stuff into the forest areas. As for the big whites attempting the Bealach na Ba, someone will come to grief.

Been the Western Isles a number of times including early May last year for 3 weeks, it was quite quiet then. Look like words gotten out what a beautiful place it is
I was on Lewis & Harris then too a few and it was wonderfully quiet ! Quite a change in one year

Glad we prebooked our campsites - we going end June so probably will be even busier.
Thanks for update :thanks

Brexit effect?
It was the same last year, we had to postpone a planned trip to Arran & Islay in May 2018 to April 2019. One of the reasons is the Islay Whisky festival 24th May - 1st June (half term in England)

Brexit effect?
No. Just too much publicity and although a long road it is just that. One road with limited offshoots carrying too much traffic. We are not covered with roads therefor easily overwhelmed. At least the midges are a deterrent:happy

Had a near miss myself because of a hired big white up there, that road isn't suitable for them imho.

I used to go up in my 7m MH with a car trailer never had an issue respect the roads, environment and locals. used sites and wild camped but put money into the local economy. It was not uncommon to drive for an hour or more never seeing another car. sounds as though the last frontier has been lost sad...

I went in September it was very busy, I stopped at most passing places on the way back were countless McClaren sports cars coming the other way.

We did this route, anti clockwise in 1994, camping with a knackered Nova. Saw hardly any cars. Almost ran out of petrol on a Sunday, north of Ullapool.
What a magical trip, we also spent a week on Orkney and headed to the Hebrides from Ullapool. B&B was cheap when we couldn't face the midgees when camping.

Last edited:
I've just come back from Shetland and it was similar - much busier than usual and those who had not booked return ferries had to wait till there was space.

It is a lot to do with affordable ferry pricing too under the Scottish Government (Road Equivalent Tariff) scheme and continues on from policy of not charging for bridge and tunnel crossings, which is in my mind generally a good thing but facilities need to catch up, which will take a few years. Also growing litter and toilet waste problem etc because some folk don't want to leave the place as they found it. I do an occasional litter clear up and today some moron emptied their vehicle including payslips so hopefully it will be more than just karma that follows it up.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/public-transport/ferries/road-equivalent-tariff/