Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Western Scotland

Thelovewalrus

Thelovewalrus

I
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Off on our first major trip, heading for west Scotland for about a week end of March.
Any help where to visit,places to stop over etc.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We loved the following and would like to spend more time in them next time instead of moving around so much.:

Glencoe and Glen Etive
Arisaig
Applecross
The Glenelg Inn
Sligachan on Skye (we werent that blown away by the rest tbh)

Drumbeg, north west of Ullapool. Wild camp off the B869. The whole peninsular and Kylescu just North is amazing.

The west of Scotland is a very big place and most of the roads once you get north of Lomond are wee, so don't under-estimate the time and distances involved. When you say a week, does that include travel up and down to the Scottish west coast from Hampshire (that's two days each way before you get started on any actual touring)?

You will of course be tempted to visit Skye, but be warned it's now super-busy most times of the year not just summer. Whereas much of the mainland alongside it will be pretty deserted in March, and there are lots of other island alternatives to Skye: Mull and Islay, just to mention a couple.

It gets wilder as you go north, and pretty much the whole coastline north of Skye up to Cape Wrath is sublime. But as I said, be realistic about the time you have available.

If you haven't already seen it, the Wild About Scotland blog by VWCC member Ewan is a great starting point for inspiration and practical tips on touring:
https://wildaboutscotland.com/

Largs, check out the ice cream parlour, then Cumbrae.
Then over to Aran.
Not so many miles north before the fun starts.
Kildonan campsite on Aran excellent.

Largs, check out the ice cream parlour, then Cumbrae.
Then over to Aran.
Not so many miles north before the fun starts.
Kildonan campsite on Aran excellent.
Culzean Castle Camping and Caravanning Club Site, Ayrshire, if you can wait until 29/3/18 opening.
Just lovely, walk down to the Castle grounds on footpaths. Bargain Scottish National Trust membership adds to the attraction.

if you follow the nc500 route north lots of campsites. as said it takes longer than you think to drive that road. wild camp by heading off route either to the coast or inland away from the main rd. lots of nice spots to be found. Google maps is your best friend on this route. enjoy. don't miss the applecross inn.

if you follow the nc500 route north lots of campsites. as said it takes longer than you think to drive that road. wild camp by heading off route either to the coast or inland away from the main rd. lots of nice spots to be found. Google maps is your best friend on this route. enjoy. don't miss the applecross inn.

Thanks

Drumbeg, north west of Ullapool. Wild camp off the B869. The whole peninsular and Kylescu just North is amazing.

Thanks

We toured in the north of Scotland for more than four weeks with our Cali, and still haven't seen 95 percent of the area. In hindsight we should have chosen some smaller Scottish regions, walk more and drive less. Half a day driving for fifty miles is very common on the single track roads.

Can recommend the north-west coast, fabulous landscape, deserted, you can wild camp at about every corner. But campsites are ok too.

Some highlights for us were, at random:
- the parking at lighthouse Stoer Head (we had gale force nine there);
- camping Sango Sands at Durness (lovely walks).
- the parking in Sheigra near the cemetary with a nice small beach (a sign says now: no overnight camping);
- campsite Port A Baigh, near Althandu, with a fish bar called Am Fuaran Bar (when we came in at Sunday they had no fish);
- the little parking at the Arctic Convoy Memorial, north of Cove (no midges in March, the more in summer!);
- the beautiful camping Twenty Shillings Wood near Comrie (they call themselves an adult camping, we arrived with red ears, but it just ment: no kids allowed; nice walks to the waterfalls);
- camping Fortrose, with dolphins nearly every evening during the evening flood in the Moray Firth at the Chanonry lighthouse.
- camping Applecross is rather crowded and noisy during festivals. The woods are nice for hiking.

I have made a travel report for our German collegues at Caliboard.de, it's in German. Maybe I'll try to translate it in English, if there is interest for it.

https://www.caliboard.de/showthread...-den-Uhrzeigersinn&highlight=+schottland++uhr

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.

We toured in the north of Scotland for more than four weeks with our Cali, and still haven't seen 95 percent of the area. In hindsight we should have chosen some smaller Scottish regions, walk more and drive less. Half a day driving for fifty miles is very common on the single track roads.

Can recommend the north-west coast, fabulous landscape, deserted, you can wild camp at about every corner. But campsites are ok too.

Some highlights for us were, at random:
- the parking at lighthouse Stoer Head (we had gale force nine there);
- camping Sango Sands at Durness (lovely walks).
- the parking in Sheigra near the cemetary with a nice small beach (a sign says now: no overnight camping);
- campsite Port A Baigh, near Althandu, with a fish bar called Am Fuaran Bar (when we came in at Sunday they had no fish);
- the little parking at the Arctic Convoy Memorial, north of Cove (no midges in March, the more in summer!);
- the beautiful camping Twenty Shillings Wood near Comrie (they call themselves an adult camping, we arrived with red ears, but it just ment: no kids allowed; nice walks to the waterfalls);
- camping Fortrose, with dolphins nearly every evening during the evening flood in the Moray Firth at the Chanonry lighthouse.
- camping Applecross is rather crowded and noisy during festivals. The woods are nice for hiking.

I have made a travel report for our German collegues at Caliboard.de, it's in German. Maybe I'll try to translate it in English, if there is interest for it.

https://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php?12715-Schottland-linksdrehend-gegen-den-Uhrzeigersinn&highlight=+schottland++uhr

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.

Thank you very helpful information

Uig/Ardroil on Lewis/Harris if you make the islands

If you dont want to venture too far North then you could try the island of Bute. Get the ferry over from Wemyss Bay or even better go round by the Rest and Be Thankful to Colintraive. (if you go that way be sure to stop off at Inver for lunch, you will not regret it!). Gorgeous wild camping at the head of Ettrick Bay and St Ninians Bay. Loads of history to see. Don't miss St Blanes Chapel and Mount Stuart. Seals, porpoise and basking sharks (occasionally) Loads of great guided walks from the tourist office too. Have fun and Welcome to Scotland!

and sideways rain !!! To be honest we have done 2 tours on the west coast and only 2 days when rain stopped play.

Glad you're enjoying the Isles Teejay. Keep quiet though or everyone will go up there! By far the UK's Best Kept Secret, IMO.

Luskentyre beach on Harris is one of the finest in the world, surely??