Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia BC80 Bike Carrier

Markdleeming

Markdleeming

MarkL
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone got a Westfalia BC80 and would they recommend one for a T6 California Beach please, i.e can the boot still open when fitted with bikes attached? Toss up between that one and the Atera STRADA, but like the look and build quality of the Westfalia.

We have a Westfalia BC80.
We also have a fixed tow hook which means you can't fully open the rear door fully.
I was told by Westfalia that you need a detachable tow hook to achieve this.
I assume the detachable hook must sit further from the rear of the vehicle than a fixed there by giving clearance.

We have a Westfalia BC80.
We also have a fixed tow hook which means you can't fully open the rear door fully.
I was told by Westfalia that you need a detachable tow hook to achieve this.
I assume the detachable hook must sit further from the rear of the vehicle than a fixed there by giving clearance.
Thanks. I have the factory fitted removable tow bar, so that may help, although clearly don’t want to risk shelling out £400 + if I can’t access the boot when fitted.

Hi Mark - did you ever manage to determine if the BC80 works with the removable tow bar? I also have the 800mm boot drawer from calicap.de, anyone got any experience with titling bike rack and the drawer system?

Ive got a BC60 which is essentially the same on a removable towbar & can get the boot open sometimes! it depends how low the back of the van is sitting & how level the ground behind it is. The clearance is that tight.

Many thanks for the reply!

Just to follow up for completeness, at the same time as posting here I emailed Westfalia. They have now come back and said ‘it will not work as the rear door will not open’. Appears if it does work then its good luck rather than by desgin, which supports Andys experiences. Shame as the cargo box that thy make to fit it is a really nice design.

Having checked - ours is a bc80 & we used it with the storage box this year, worked well with a tailgate mounted bike rack above it.

To be honest we pack everything we need to get at in the storage box & use the boot for things like the bbq that we won't need till we get to site. Its a 30 second operation to remove both the box & the BC60 once we get to site.

You are welcome to try ours to see if it works if you are passing.

Thanks Andy - we've gone for the one they sell in the club shop (Diamant SG2) as the main use will be for a couple of eBikes. The cargo box was a nice to have option, I do like the design, seems well thought through.

Hi Mark - did you ever manage to determine if the BC80 works with the removable tow bar? I also have the 800mm boot drawer from calicap.de, anyone got any experience with titling bike rack and the drawer system?
Sorry, no waiting for a response from Westphalia.

I did manage to get a response from them, and they said it wouldnt allow the rear door to open, but per ealier posts on this thread by Andy, it seems marginal.

Thanks Andy - we've gone for the one they sell in the club shop (Diamant SG2) as the main use will be for a couple of eBikes. The cargo box was a nice to have option, I do like the design, seems well thought through.
Be interested to see how you get on with this, as this looks good as well, although don’t think it has the LED lights I wanted.

Thought folks may appreciate an update of my experience with the Diamant SG2 from the club shop.

Arrived very promptly and its a robust, well made piece of kit, very sturdy and very easy to fix. Comes with a bag/cover that it fits in when folded.

And .... the rear door clears it, probably 10mm or so to spare although looks closer in the photos.

I tried one of our eBikes, it weights 23kg, holds it very securely and the angle of drop is such that the handle bars are well away from the ground so should be fine on most surfaces.

Tilting is simple, just press the bar in the middle of the rack with your foot and it can be tilted towards you, surprisingly little effort even with a heavy bike on it, I didn't try it with 2 bikes but even doubling the effort it would still be an easy lift.

It also works well with the Calicap 800mm boot drawer, the drawer opens nearly all the way although not to the stops, but good enough for all practical purposes!

Pics attached.

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

Thought folks may appreciate an update of my experience with the Diamant SG2 from the club shop.

Arrived very promptly and its a robust, well made piece of kit, very sturdy and very easy to fix. Comes with a bag/cover that it fits in when folded.

And .... the rear door clears it, probably 10mm or so to spare although looks closer in the photos.

I tried one of our eBikes, it weights 23kg, holds it very securely and the angle of drop is such that the handle bars are well away from the ground so should be fine on most surfaces.

Tilting is simple, just press the bar in the middle of the rack with your foot and it can be tilted towards you, surprisingly little effort even with a heavy bike on it, I didn't try it with 2 bikes but even doubling the effort it would still be an easy lift.

It also works well with the Calicap 800mm boot drawer, the drawer opens nearly all the way although not to the stops, but good enough for all practical purposes!

Pics attached.

View attachment 37568

View attachment 37570

View attachment 37571

View attachment 37572

View attachment 37569

Thanks Gordon, really helpful!

BTW - you are right - not LED. Cant have everything I guess :)