Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia Cali Exclusive Seat Removal

I

irlcwill

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi

JUst wondering if anyo e has a link to a How To guide to remove the passenger seat so that I can get to the seat rails ?

My passenger seat is very stiff to slide which is a particular problem when making the bed ....

I Just want to strip down the slides and lubricate.

Thanks in advance ....

I've not done it, but somewhere in my memory I read that you slide it forward to where the plastic covers are (having first removed said covers) then lift (and I wish you well with that bit... Mine is very heavy to slide and I can't imagine how heavy it would be to lift).
I think I'd try cleaning and lubricating the front rails with the seat 'back', then the rear of the rails with the seat forward, and see if that improves things.

HI, thanks for the reply, should have been clearer, its the front passenger seat .....

I Dont think i am brave enough to attempt the rear passenger seat :)

We have a pop top, but the seat has the same DNA and have done just as you're planning. As said by @T4WFA, pop the plastic caps out of the front of the runners and slide the seat right forward. This'll line up the feet to lift out of the runners. You can do this solo but it's highly advisable to get some extra muscle at this point as the seat is pretty heavy.

It's well worth removing though as after many years the nylon of the feet can get clogged with the detritus of many camping adventures. Lubricating can alleviate this a little but is usually only short lived. The simplest way to clear this is out of the van. To refit simply reverse the process, take a seat and crack open a beer to celebrate a job well done.
:cheers

HI, thanks for the reply, should have been clearer, its the front passenger seat .....

Doh! Was busy typing while you posted this. :talktothehand

Oh. Never heard that discussed, although with it being a Westy I'd have hoped it could be accomplished with a "bit of a good look" and an adjustable spanner ;)

Yeah, I had a look earlier and can get to rear bolts but can't seem to get the seat far enough back to get front bolts ..... will have a fresh look at it tomorrow and see if I can work something out

Thanks for the replies ....

I took mine out a couple of years ago. I seem to recall you need to remove the seat belt anchor from the slider.. this involves removing the large plastic knurled wheel that adjusts the seat back. Removing it will break the tabs that hold it in place so order a new one.
I think once this is done it allows the seat to slide further and you can access the bolts.

Year dependant pre 96 remove the seat pad,two allen bolts on the front under the pad lift the pad slide the seat to the back remove two bolts on the front of the rails slide to the front and remove the bolts on the back then remove two bolts for the seatbelt slider,check if plastic sliders inthe rails present.After 96 two torx bolts under cushion remove the cushion two bolts on the front of the rails then two on the back.Try to loosen the rails first and move the seat as may be removed in the past and bolted out of alignment.

Back