Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia Tow-bar socket wiring help

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, I'm planning to install a Westfalia detachable tow-bar soon and I've been trying to figure out the wiring. I want to use the proper looms that were available from VW, however I've spent quiet a few hours reading German forums etc and I still cannot find out for sure the correct loom to buy. Has anyone got one of these tow-bars fitted? Would you be able to have a look at the wiring setup behind the right hand side tail light, where the jack is stored and possibly send me a picture? Even better would be a part number from any of the wiring looms!!

So far I've seen the following,
$_1.jpg
Its a loom for a continuous + for the 13 pin socket, feed from the fuse box.

Next,
s-l1600 (1).jpg
This loom looks like it replaces the existing loom for the rear lights, but it looks like it may have too many connections.

Finally,
s-l1600 (2).jpg
This loom has the socket on it. It looks like it could be used on its own by plugging in to the right hand rear light with the two flat connectors, but the square four pole connector has no where to plug in to. Thats why I think the second loom has to be used.

From my reading on German forums, I've read that the correct loom and 13 pin socket, switches off the fog lights when towing a caravan, in order to stop the fog light reflecting on the front of the caravan.
The continuous + is to keep a fridge in a caravan etc switched on while travelling.

I understand that this my seem overkill, but I want to install this correctly.

Any help or advice with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

If you google PF Jones in Trafford Manchester.
They may be able to help you
I have used these many times.
Last year I bought a Westfalia towbar from them and they actually sell a plug in type wiring loom no cutting or chopping it wasn’t for a vw it was a Fiat Ducato but
They may be able to help you there pretty clued up
Had a t4 one off them too in the past with full wiring kit inc instructions

If you google PF Jones in Trafford Manchester.
They may be able to help you
I have used these many times.
Last year I bought a Westfalia towbar from them and they actually sell a plug in type wiring loom no cutting or chopping it wasn’t for a vw it was a Fiat Ducato but
They may be able to help you there pretty clued up
Had a t4 one off them too in the past with full wiring kit inc instructions
Its PF Jones that I'm buying the tow-bar from, but they don't sell the VW wiring looms for them, they do a aftermarket loom, but I want to keep it original.

Its PF Jones that I'm buying the tow-bar from, but they don't sell the VW wiring looms for them, they do a aftermarket loom, but I want to keep it original.
Aghh really :(
That’s a shame can you not buy it directly from vw
Or TPS if you want a genuine part but with a better price than buying direct from vw

Aghh really :(
That’s a shame can you not buy it directly from vw
Or TPS if you want a genuine part but with a better price than buying direct from vw
The looms can be got from VW, but it’s finding out the correct one I need seems to be the problem. All the looms listed in my first post can be got either second hand or new.
Who or what is TPS?

Thinking about it when you order a new California now they have towbar prep in the options
If you have not got this on your van it may be a big job trying to keep it factory????
Y
The looms can be got from VW, but it’s finding out the correct one I need seems to be the problem. All the looms listed in my first post can be got either second hand or new.
Who or what is TPS?
TPS is a supplier of genuine vw parts like a main dealer but without the pricetag .they sell all the vw parts for commercial and passenger cars...
can you not give them a registration and chassis number to help find the correct one ???
TPS’s are all over the country

Thinking about it when you order a new California now they have towbar prep in the options
If you have not got this on your van it may be a big job trying to keep it factory????
Y

TPS is a supplier of genuine vw parts like a main dealer but without the pricetag .they sell all the vw parts for commercial and passenger cars...
can you not give them a registration and chassis number to help find the correct one ???
TPS’s are all over the country
Yea they are worth trying, I got some parts from a similar place in Germany, but they were not able to help with the tow bar wiring. I’ll try TPS tomorrow, cheers for the tip.

Hi everyone, I didn't get any further with this yet. Would anyone with a tow bar socket fitted be able to have a look at the wiring and send me a few photos of the setup?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In Bristol is the Westfalia Fitting Centre at 5-6, George Jones Rd, St. Philips, Bristol BS2 0QS
Phone: 0117 955 1011. I have found them really helpful and if you contact them I'm sure they will be able to sort out the parts you need.

Hope this helps
Simon

I've just looked at a few parts systems and can't find a genuine loom quoted but...

Unless you have reversing sensors T4 tow-bar wiring is no problem, all connections are available at the rear lights. You do have to wire to each light, can't get away with only going to one side. Your biggest problem will be physical access to the rear of each light unit from the inside of the vehicle.
You don't need any fancy module to tell the vehicle that it has a tow-bar as you do on a T5 or T6, it's just wires, socket and connectors.
If you need power to charge a caravan leisure circuit then I think you will need to run a cable up to the front of your vehicle and pick up a connection to the camper leisure circuit via an appropriate fuse.

Rod

I've just looked at a few parts systems and can't find a genuine loom quoted but...

Unless you have reversing sensors T4 tow-bar wiring is no problem, all connections are available at the rear lights. You do have to wire to each light, can't get away with only going to one side. Your biggest problem will be physical access to the rear of each light unit from the inside of the vehicle.
You don't need any fancy module to tell the vehicle that it has a tow-bar as you do on a T5 or T6, it's just wires, socket and connectors.
If you need power to charge a caravan leisure circuit then I think you will need to run a cable up to the front of your vehicle and pick up a connection to the camper leisure circuit via an appropriate fuse.

Rod
Hi and thanks for the reply, I couldn't see them on the parts system either but I have seen a few different types of looms for sale secondhand, so VW must have sold them at some stage.
Its easy to access the rear light on the right hand side and the left one is a little more tricky but can be got at through the wardrobe.
I understand that I can plug straight in to the rear of the lights, and that is what the VW loom does too. In my first post on this tread you can see some of the looms that I have already seen for sale. These looms look like they plug in the the rear lights and have a connection for the loom going to the socket. I also have seen a VW permanent plus cable for sale which looks like it plugs in to the main van electrics.
I'll keep researching this until I get it sorted.

I’m not sure how it works but the 13pin factory wiring on mine brings up an extra indicator repeat light on the dash when using a trailer.

Have you tried UK campervan sales. Original Westy importers and stockist.
They may be able to help with part nos.

Hi sidepod, yes the factory wiring does have the indicator light on the dash, This must be a legal requirement to indicate if the trailer indicator lights are working correctly.
For this to work a different hazard warning switch, the standard switch has 7 pins, where the one for the trailer wiring kit has eight pins. I think the relay is different to accommodate the trailer indicators.
I have fitted the upgraded switch already to my camper.

Yes I will contact UK campervan sales to see if they can help.

Sidepod, would you be able to send me a pic of the wiring at the inside of your rear lights, I know its a lot to ask but it would be a great help for me to identify the correct loom I need. I really want to get the proper looms and keep it original Westfalia set up.

Roger that. Do you know which side it’s wired?

Roger that. Do you know which side it’s wired?
Cheers mate, from looking at the looms I’ve seen for sale so far, it looks like the loom is plugged in to both rear lights. The right hand side is easy enough to se as it under the cover of the jack and toolkit. The left hand side is not as easy, it’s through the wardrobe and then open the cover where the fresh water tank drain valve is. I found it’s easier to just stick my phone down there and take a pic with the flash on, impossible to see in there otherwise.

Well I had a look and to be honest, not a cat in hells chance of working out where the loom goes.

The left hand side light is virtually impossible to access and I didn’t fancy dropping my phone down the hole trying to take photos.

The other side is easier to access but still nothing of any use.

Obviously it’s in there somewhere

Just crack on and make your own loom. How hard can it be?

Well I had a look and to be honest, not a cat in hells chance of working out where the loom goes.

The left hand side light is virtually impossible to access and I didn’t fancy dropping my phone down the hole trying to take photos.

The other side is easier to access but still nothing of any use.

Obviously it’s in there somewhere

Just crack on and make your own loom. How hard can it be?
Cheers for taking a look for me. What I think is that the loom for the rear lights is different on yours which has the towbar and socket. Would you be able to send me a photo of the inside of the right hand side light, then I can compare to my one and with the loom I’ve seen for sale.

This is a photo of the left hand side light on mine, can you even check by hand if yours has more than one plug?1D2B60E6-7EF4-40F5-AF04-BDFEF111EC4F.jpeg 8C4B150D-7D8D-47CE-B19F-F4681C66D957.jpeg This is a photo of the right hand side light light. I’m thinking the loom on yours might use the two spare connection slots.

:help:help Sidepod take a chance sticking your hand in there and have a feel around to see how many connectors are on the left hand side light.

Hi @sidepod, any chance you would be able to have another look at the setup on your camper for me? Just a photo of the inside of the right hand rear light wiring connections and just to check how many connectors are plugged in to the left hand rear light.
I've spotted a loom for sale on ebay and I'm just not sure if its correct. but with the above information from you I should be able to know if its suitable or not.
You would be really helping me out.
Regards Padraic.

I wired my tow bar up using a generic relay for a CANBUS vehicle - very easy to do and I have no error lights on my dash. Couple of hours labour and about £25. I appreciate its not plug and play like a factory loom would be, but I couldn't justify the cost for towing my little Eriba Puck caravan about 6 times a year. I can obtain wiring diagram if you decide to go down this route.

Hi everyone, I have managed to get the wiring almosted sorted for the camper and about to order the physical tow bar. I want to get the correct bracket that holds the detachable swan neck. Can some one send me a photo of the bracket that holds the swan neck and the swan neck itself?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Padraic.

Ah sorry. I did see this but got sidetracked.

I can photo the swan neck no problems.

What bracket are you referring to?
A storage bracket?

If there is one I don’t use it. The tow ball stays in situ all the time.

I’ll photo tomorrow.

Yea the swan neck and the storage bracket for it. I’ve found a bracket, but it’s designed for a multivan and to be fitted on the left side. I cannot find one for the right hand side so I may have to modify the multivan one.

Back