We've just downsized

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi

After lurking around hear since the beginning, we have finally bought a cali, it replaces a 8m long A class motorhome so the lack of space is going to be quite challenge especialy when we have three of our four children on board.

After much research we bought an ex demo which had almost all the options that I would have specified - the different dealers view of what constitutes a demonstrator is certainly interesting. Our local dealer hires theirs out so by the time its released for sale its well used and camped in by assorted customers. The dealer I bought from just keeps them in the yard available for inspection, still with all the protection on.

Having driven the 80 miles home yesterday (after an agonising whole weeks wait - there is no way I could have waited months for a new one) my initial thought are wow its quiet at 70mph and fuel consumption at 40.1mpg for the trip according to the computer is fantastic compared 12-18mpg we were getting from the motorhome.

We are now looking forward to being able to go out for the day in the van when on holiday - devon & cornwall are a nightmare when you are 3m tall & 8m long.

Research is now beginning for the best drive away awning.

Andy

Congratulations :)

What spec / colour did you get?

Only just spotted this; nice one!
Those massive motorhomes must be hard work around country lanes?!

I did similarish - pre registered but delivery miles. Saved a packet but nice to know it was totally unused.

Enjoy!

Congrats on your purchase!

Cali and three kids! Drive away awning or large pop up tent!?
Good luck your brave. :clap

Might be a drive away awning, and a pop up tent and maybe a caravan to fit them all in!!! we haven't totally thought through the logistics yet.

The main reason for change was the motorhome sat on our drive blocking the lounge window, this year due to circumstances at work it got used for 2 two weeks total, one week was all 6 of us and the other was just 4. The 15mpg precluded the popping to the coast for a weekend or even just going out for the day.

The california is costing me the same per month to own as the motorhome but will get used more. Having just set up my own consultancy my Business/commuting mileage has dropped from 30k a year to more like 5k so it will probably replace a car as well,therefore according to my man maths it may actually save me money to own one.
The older children do a lot of sports and I spend most weekends waiting around football pitches whilst trying to keep our youngest aged 4 amused, having somewhere warm & dry where she can sit at a table to draw or watch a video etc is great.

The oldest two children are at that age where they don't actually want to go anywhere with us unless it involves a long haul flight & fully inclusive deal - we will leave them at home!

We have already calculated that with various sports tours etc that the oldest ones are doing we have got 8 weeks in 2015 that we are down to just 5 of us.

I have already bought a spare bed extension for the downstairs bed, I intend shortening that so we can use the bed whilst retaining the 5th seat and also giving more leg room for rear passengers.

Andy

Ah good Man.

The Cali is ideal for watching kids sport whilst keeping warm with the odd cuppa!

We have two young ones although growing quickly and the Cali has served us well.

We reguarly put up our Quechua Base XL up and down in 10mins and provides plenty of space for overspill from the Cali.

Enjoy :)

Hey that Quechua Base XL is a good tip.

We've been looking into Drive Away awnings, but that may be a nice, pragmatic, and slightly less expensive alternative.

Hi Andy, I am intrigued what you mean by the bed extension? Sounds interesting!

I'm not sure what to do with the bed extension.

With the fifth seat in place removing the bed extension makes the living area work for us, with the stops removed the back seat will actually go back far enough to get the table out between the back seat and the 5th seat.

Folding the back seat down without the extension makes a bed long enough for the shortest child, the base of the fifth seat makes a good bed extension to make an L shape bed with one side of it long enough for the tallest. A cab bunk makes a third bed & then 2 adults in the roof, whilst still leaving a reasonable floor space and access to all the cupboards.

I have obtained a spare metal bed extension with all the fittings with a view to cutting it in half & either using a couple of steel rods to fit inside the tubes form a joint for using it in one piece, or putting a couple of legs on the end nearest the bench to use just half of it. having tried the L shape bed we may just do without the extension completely.

Next challenge is to get 6 seats in. I am aware that oxford T5 can do a double front passenger seat, I've been wondering if I can get 2 fifth seats in at once, with the rear bench as far back as it will go ( mine is currently sitting with the rear headrests under the roof cupboard) it looks like there may just be room albeit with limited leg room for one seat. What is really required is a lightweight version of the two seater bench.

Andy

Hi

After lurking around hear since the beginning, we have finally bought a cali, it replaces a 8m long A class motorhome so the lack of space is going to be quite challenge especialy when we have three of our four children on board.

After much research we bought an ex demo which had almost all the options that I would have specified - the different dealers view of what constitutes a demonstrator is certainly interesting. Our local dealer hires theirs out so by the time its released for sale its well used and camped in by assorted customers. The dealer I bought from just keeps them in the yard available for inspection, still with all the protection on.

Having driven the 80 miles home yesterday (after an agonising whole weeks wait - there is no way I could have waited months for a new one) my initial thought are wow its quiet at 70mph and fuel consumption at 40.1mpg for the trip according to the computer is fantastic compared 12-18mpg we were getting from the motorhome.

We are now looking forward to being able to go out for the day in the van when on holiday - devon & cornwall are a nightmare when you are 3m tall & 8m long.

Research is now beginning for the best drive away awning.

Andy
Hey Andy, I just stumbled across this…… I know you changed from Crafter back to T6.1 recently…… curious how you feel all these years later? :)

Hey Andy, I just stumbled across this…… I know you changed from Crafter back to T6.1 recently…… curious how you feel all these years later? :)
That is some thread resurrection!
Thoughts haven’t changed really - we tried a bigger motorhome, well a GC for 2022 and have gone straight back to a Cali for exactly the same reason that we bought that first one.