Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s better? 2018 T6 132KW 4Motion (no AdBlue) or 2019 T6 150KW 4Motion that needs AdBlue

WaikatoCalifornia

WaikatoCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi, we have a 2018 T6 Ocean 4Motion with the 132Kw engine, which was one of the last versions that didn’t need AdBlue (it may not be the same in the Uk/Europe, but regs are more lax in New Zealand, and that what we have!). We love it; simple as that.

But an opportunity has come up to pick up the 2019 version that is pretty well the same (plus maybe a few extra bells and whistles) that happens to have the 150Kw engine. The main mechanical difference is that the newer one needs AdBlue. Forgetting the upgrade cost for now, is it worth the extra hassle for the additional 18Kw (ie. about 15%)? Or is it better in the long run to have a Cali that doesn’t need AdBlue?

As a secondary consideration, we have never managed to get less than about 9.5 litres/100km of economy out of ours (and that’s almost all open road driving). Does anybody know if the AdBlue versions are more fuel economic? When I read online forums and the latest VW literature, other people seem to be getting economy closer to 7 litres/100km. Thanks

I get an average of 8.5l/100km out of a 204 4 motion so I guess the more modern engines may be better. Also, you will probably have less issues/cost in LEZs if that is important

I get an average of 8.5l/100km out of a 204 4 motion so I guess the more modern engines may be better. Also, you will probably have less issues/cost in LEZs if that is important
Thanks for the economy info. I find it weird that my leaser powered engine is less efficient, but perhaps the tuning is older. The LEZ thing isn’t a consideration in New Zealand (hardly anyone lives here!); I was mainly asking from a reliability and maintenance perspective (sorry, I should have been clearer). Thanks.

Different commercial vehicle but my work Renault traffic has had lots of problems regarding add blue.The mechanic who owned a vw suv said he has had the add blue mapped out on his personal car.Not sure what that tells u .If lez not an issue better the devil u know .Good luck .

It is possible to have Adblue deleted. Usually done in conjunction with EGR Delete as well. Not legal in UK but some do it regardless of that and pollution..

Adblue relates to assisting the soot clearance process and nothing to do with engine economy/performance.

Latest engines have had to be more efficient to comply with latest rules. They don't like short running time or at least the emission system doesn't as it needs to get to high working temperature to operate efficiently.

From my viewpoint I'd keep what you have as no apparent reason to change for potentially more costs.

The addition of SCR allows the engine to be more efficient by having more engine out NOx.
However adblue costs money, and has more parts to go wrong so what you Dave on diesel you will eventually spend anyway

Hi, we have a 2018 T6 Ocean 4Motion with the 132Kw engine, which was one of the last versions that didn’t need AdBlue (it may not be the same in the Uk/Europe, but regs are more lax in New Zealand, and that what we have!). We love it; simple as that.

But an opportunity has come up to pick up the 2019 version that is pretty well the same (plus maybe a few extra bells and whistles) that happens to have the 150Kw engine. The main mechanical difference is that the newer one needs AdBlue. Forgetting the upgrade cost for now, is it worth the extra hassle for the additional 18Kw (ie. about 15%)? Or is it better in the long run to have a Cali that doesn’t need AdBlue?

As a secondary consideration, we have never managed to get less than about 9.5 litres/100km of economy out of ours (and that’s almost all open road driving). Does anybody know if the AdBlue versions are more fuel economic? When I read online forums and the latest VW literature, other people seem to be getting economy closer to 7 litres/100km. Thanks
Are you a member of our NZ Cali Facebook group

I have a T6 204 4motion same year as yours but one of the first with Adblue. Close to 50,000 miles on the clock and no issues with the system but I reckon the Adblue adds about another 1p per mile in addition to the diesel. My MPG is similar to yours but I am running AT tyres and a 35mm lift which probably reduces the fuel efficiency a fair bit.

From what we were told when we bought ours new was that the ad blue was to clean the exhaust gasses and had nothing to do with influencing the fuel consumption.
Our 199 T6 4 motion does about 30mpg which isn't bad for such a heavy vehicle , if we drive at a steady speed on the motorway the consumption according to the dashboard goes down, but this only happens when the gantry lights and speed average cameras are on! More importantly is not to do short journeys as it kills the consumption and doesn't do the engine any favours.
We don't seem to use much Ad Blue and our advice would be not to worry and just enjoy the ride.View attachment 106446View attachment 106446

Back