Alform

Alform

Vehicle
Motorhome
I have narrowed down my choice of electric bike to these three ..links to bikes
1) Cube Hybrid Race All road 500 Cube
2) Ampler Curt Ampler
3) VanMoof S2 Electrified VanMoof

Going to use for short commutes and cycle / bridal paths etc on occasions, and of course with the Cali

Anybody have one of these or recommend another

Alf

Last edited:
2) Ampler Curt Ampler

Going to use for short commutes and cycle / bridal paths etc on occasions, and of course with the Cali

Alf
Do you already have a bicycle?
If so, convert it to electric drive.

Whats wrong with good old fashioned pedal power. Exercise is amazing for you. What next, turning tvs over without the need for pressing a button on the tv, a cafe where you dont need to leave your car to get the food and get it from a window or even getting your shopping delivered to your door without even going to the shop........doh, we're all doomed :-0

They do look great though ;-D but that S2 looks like a prototype!

I have a cube reaction EMTB and a cube attain carbon road bike I love them both and would recommend cube all the way. You get a lot of kit for your money and very high quality :thumb

My son has a Cube , as you say the build quality is fantastic.
The Cube is easier for me to purchase locally also.

I have a Marin Hybrid which is an option to convert as WG mentioned.

The S2 has been around a few years and is a bit Marmite Mark

I will only be able to test drive the Cube due to location so will give that a go first.

Thanks for all the replies

Whats wrong with good old fashioned pedal power. Exercise is amazing for you.
You can get just as much exercise or more on an e-bike. You just go further at a higher average speed. The assistance stops at 15.5mph and then you're on your own, or you can switch off the motor if you're feeling guilty. Then, when you're knackered, come to a hill or headwind, just ease in the power until conditions improve.

Really handy for cycling to work if it's just a bit too far on an ordinary bike, and you don't need a shower when you get there.

You build up your biceps picking the bloody thing up too! And it makes your ordinary bike(s) feel light as a feather.

PS mines a Kalkhoff Endeavour with Impulse Evo Centre drive. A trekking bike around the same price point, worth a look if there's a dealer nearby.

2) Ampler Curt Ampler

Alf
I have a Cube Reaction Race 29er MTB, great for off road and on road commute. You still get as much workout as you want, you just get more choice of what to accomplish in a set period of time

Made my choice, then my son ordered the Vanmoof as a "suprise"
Got a 30 day trial but unboxing reveals a quality bit of kit

Will see how it rides .

View attachment 47008

I really like the look of them.
Is that the S2...?

I’ve been looking at ebikes for ages. I just can’t get my head around the prices.
£2k on an E and a lot of the components are mediocre, compared to a £2k pedal power bike.
Got to say, the Cubes look half decent in the class for the money.

Man, that Vanmoof is fugly

I think it’s a great little City bike.
However, I’m swaying towards the Cube bikes. Seem to be good value compared to the competition.
Although, my local bike shop round the corner stocks Trek and the Powerfly 5 looks pretty good and has 15% off at the mo.

I really like the look of them.
Is that the S2...?

I’ve been looking at ebikes for ages. I just can’t get my head around the prices.
£2k on an E and a lot of the components are mediocre, compared to a £2k pedal power bike.
Got to say, the Cubes look half decent in the class for the money.
Yes it's the S2 electrified. It seems very well made and has a finish like a stealth bomber although unlike the bomber it gets noticed and prompts wtf comments when it starts up .
My son has a Cube and its a solid bike . Quite hilly around me and the boost button is very useful on the VM . Got it set up as in USA so it does a few extra KPH. Four assistance settings and its a bit quick off the mark on the flat. The Cube equivalent is about the same cost and I may take one out next weekend from Tredz and have a true comparison.

Last edited:
Yes it's the S2 electrified. It seems very well made and has a finish like a stealth bomber although unlike the bomber it gets noticed and prompts wtf comments when it starts up .
My son has a Cube and its a solid bike . Quite hilly around me and the boost button is very useful on the VM . Got it set up as in USA so it does a few extra KPH. Four assistance settings and its a bit quick off the mark on the flat. The Cube equivalent is about the same cost and I may take one out next weekend from Tredz and have a true comparison.

Let me know your thoughts on the both.
I was really interested in the VM. Especially with some of its inbuilt security features plus s lights & guards etc.
My only observation/concern is the handlebar setup. I think a flat straight bar would give better control.

It’s hard to look past the usefulness of a mountain bike as a one shoe fits all sorted of thing...

Will do . I had reservations about the handlebars also , but for how they looked tbh . They look good in the flesh and are very comfortable .The VM does not fit an all rounder tag which is why I am booking a test ride ( if Tredz ever get back to me ). I have used it this week for my short but hilly commute and have been very happy . I'm going to put some observations together and will post .

2) Ampler Curt Ampler

Alf
I have a Kalkhoff with which I am delighted.
I have had it since 2010, and it has performed very well in every way.
Just note that the life of batteries is around 5-6 years, irrespective of mileage.
Its also worth saying that an electric bike is heavier than standard, for lifting onto the cycle rack.
Alternatively you could go for an electric Brompton - ridden once and impressed, though battery range is less.

My wife has a Giant fastroad.very impressed. Bit heavy to lift up on to the bike rack! Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Thanks Trev ....got the Vanmoof a couple of weeks ago and I get what you mean about getting it on the bike rack

My eldest is thinking of getting one of these.

Any opinions?

Mike

Someone on here owns one of those, I can’t remember who. I’ve not tried one. But they look pretty decent and have some nifty ideas.
They do some sort of stolen recovery scheme...

Someone on here owns one of those, I can’t remember who. I’ve not tried one. But they look pretty decent and have some nifty ideas.
They do some sort of stolen recovery scheme...

Thanks. Yes evidently if you report it stolen they start tracking it.

I take the point on the other thread about buying local.

Mike

Back