• Thread starter chris ratay traveler
  • Start date
chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Looking at new(ish) T6.1 for long-distance travel - Iran next Spring, then shipping to S. America to travel for awhile. The size is perfect for our needs, but I'm struggling to get detailed info on various options (living in Hungary). I'm not worried about parts, spares, or Euro6 diesel with AdBlue and such as I've been traveling overland for years on 6 continents, and this will be our 5th travel vehicle. Everything is a compromise. Our budget allows for buying new, but thinking something with 5-15k km.

Basics: 2021/2022 Ocean model, Automatic Transmission, and 4-motion

Looking at Mobile.de and Autoscout24.com here in Central Europe (LHD), and there are several good options, however, there seems to be a wide range in pricing on vans that are less than a year old. Maybe there are different options?

QUESTIONS:
  • 1) What "extras" are available in a 2021/2022 Ocean? (is there a list)
  • 2) What is different on the "Edition" model? (at a glance, T6 Edition seems similar to T6.1 standard)
  • 3) Is there both a long wheel base Ocean available?
  • 4) I've seen some vehicles with only 100km are listed as 2 owners - is it a typo or something else?
  • 5) Is there any "disadvantage" in comfort with a red tent vs grey?
  • 6) Any other things to consider when buying a newer T6.1 Ocean?
Thanks.

IMHO
1 Get hold of a EU 21/22 brochure. They are listed there. I have the UK one if it helps.
2 No idea. Sounds a EU special edition. Will just likely be a few options and some stickers for free. These editions usually happen at the end of a model run to shift stock.
3 Not from VW. Conversion build, yes.
4 Likely they were dealer registered first.
5 Depends if you like your eyelids burnt with red light at 4am. We have the grey and wear eyemasks upstairs anyway.
6 Price price price. They hot atm. If you want now, for that amount of miles, you will end up paying nigh on list price anyway. If you can wait, buy new and spec to your own needs.

EU Edition pack offers little extra on an Ocean, mostly cosmetic stuff like black roof, B-pillar, mirror covers, 17" Aracaju wheels, exclusive Pure Grey colour option and comfort mattress. It costs about 3500 Euros. On the Coast its a bigger upgrade, cost about 5K Euro but in addition to the previous options gives the Coast LED front and rear lights, shower, LED interior lights in cabin and poptop, foglights, all of which are big ticket items if purchased separately.

IMHO
1 Get hold of a EU 21/22 brochure. They are listed there. I have the UK one if it helps.
2 No idea. Sounds a EU special edition. Will just likely be a few options and some stickers for free. These editions usually happen at the end of a model run to shift stock.
3 Not from VW. Conversion build, yes.
4 Likely they were dealer registered first.
5 Depends if you like your eyelids burnt with red light at 4am. We have the grey and wear eyemasks upstairs anyway.
6 Price price price. They hot atm. If you want now, for that amount of miles, you will end up paying nigh on list price anyway. If you can wait, buy new and spec to your own needs.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Would love to see that brochure if you can share. Even if I can get one locally, I can't read Hungarian

EU Edition pack offers little extra on an Ocean, mostly cosmetic stuff like black roof, B-pillar, mirror covers, 17" Aracaju wheels, exclusive Pure Grey colour option and comfort mattress. It costs about 3500 Euros. On the Coast its a bigger upgrade, cost about 5K Euro but in addition to the previous options gives the Coast LED front and rear lights, shower, LED interior lights in cabin and poptop, foglights, all of which are big ticket items if purchased separately.

Back