Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What are the differences between the Two VW bike racks for a T6? Which should I buy ?

JTMonza

JTMonza

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Our New T6 California Beach arrives this week and we are looking to get a VW Bike rack.
I see there are two different styles, the T5 style (Kylie) and the newer T6 Rack (Quasimodo).

What are the key differences between the two aside from looks, arguably the T5 looks better ? But is one better made or more secure than the other ?

Does any one have experience or recommendations of both ?

Finally who is offering the best deals on either delivered ?

Thanks for your advice !

The Kylie (the one that looks like a T5 one) is by far the nicest looking and possibly has better construction, I think the only reason that Volkswagen reintroduced this again was due to everyone hating the T6 one when it first came out.

The Kylie sticks out less than the Quasi. I think the Quasi has better (more modern) straps than the Kylie (which doesn't matter if you only use it for posing and then drying towels!).
I went Kylie after a lot of study (should come up in the search). Some prefer the aggressive looks of the Quasi, and those (half) in the know can tell you are driving a T6with the Quasi when approaching from behind. Those really in the know will spot smaller differences to the T5.

If you are using oversize tyres, one may be better than the other....but I've forgotten which.

If you're seriously into mountain biking and want to carry a heavy load then Quasimodo is probably best and live with her size and looks. If you just want one for normal occasional use, Kylie is fine.
I really think Kylie enhances a Cali's looks, makes a California look a California, and is better value than a chrome pack. It also serves as a very useful clothes drying rack and handle for assisting closing the rear hatch without slamming it.

Back