Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What are the downsides of a wrap?

T

toeknee

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi,
i have on order a white Coast with a view to wrapping the bottom. I wanted to understand what the disadvantages might be from someone living with a wrapper van.
1. how difficult is it to remove if it gets too damaged or you want to revery to original paint job?
2. how prone is it to scratches from branches etc?
3. what about washing it? Will something like a Karcher pressure washer damage it?
4. does it fade in time?

Thanks!

Commercial vehicle 'sign writing' is all done by wrapping. Example being Stobart which all start as white trucks. trailers are all wrapped in relevant livery. so no durability issue.

Branch damage would be the same as paint but unless severe can be left as no rust worry.

Again washing no issue unless jet directed at an edge where it could lift. Commercial trucks can be washed on a daily basis with no adverse effects.

Fading would be related to wrap quality/price.

Look to use a 'Wrapper' who does the Commercial Market as they have survived in a tough market by both word of mouth and repeat business.

Can I ask what may be a silly question!
Can you have the top half wrapped & not the bottom - love the beige & white option no longer available but thinking of buying the beige which I really like with the option of getting top section white wrapped.

Can you have the top half wrapped & not the bottom - love the beige & white option no longer available but thinking of buying the beige which I really like with the option of getting top section white wrapped.
You pay and they do whatever you require, no rules on what can be done or not done.

You pay and they do whatever you require, no rules on what can be done or not done.

Thank you I thought so but wasnt sure if there was an issue with the roof etc.
Just not sure if the 2 tones are too out there for me!

No problem, but probably a little more involved and therefore cost more. I'm not sure how the wrap would fair with the rubber seal of the elevating roof sticking to the wrap when closed. Might be better having a white van with the bottom wrapped.

WHAT ARE THE DOWNSIDES TO A WRAP? you shout.
Well I love them but there is just one problem. That is when you bite into them the mayonnaise and especially those squidgy little tomatoes squirt all down your shirt. Nice though.

No problem, but probably a little more involved and therefore cost more. I'm not sure how the wrap would fair with the rubber seal of the elevating roof sticking to the wrap when closed. Might be better having a white van with the bottom wrapped.
Benefit would be in bird dropping protection.

Agree a skilled hand would be required to put on the roof with its ridges and curved ends/corners.

Thank you I thought so but wasnt sure if there was an issue with the roof etc.
Just not sure if the 2 tones are too out there for me!
The DIY Camper and Conversion Agents are very into 2 tone which puts me off the idea. Snobbery?

The DIY Camper and Conversion Agents are very into 2 tone which puts me off the idea. Snobbery?

Oh I hadnt clocked that - I do love the look of them but when I hired a two tone (conversion!) I felt like I was on show too much!!!

CCE01CF9-1791-420D-BA49-E20F35EF0AC9.jpegThis pic shows the downside! Someone scraped my bumper (and drove off without stopping), with a wrap on the lower half not only do I need to get the bumper fixed and repainted, I also need to get the bumper and two other panels re-wrapped which adds a layer (excuse the pun) of logistics/costs and admin I could do without!

That said as i’d only had the wrap for under a year I’ll get it fixed and I do love the look and I’m really pleased with it. I plan on owning my van for a while so if it happens again or when the wrap looks shabby I might go down the re-spray route instead.

Wraps are incredibly durable and from our own experience last at least 10 years. You won’t be able to lift the edges with a jet wash.

Goss

The bottom half of my coast is wrapped. Really durable, no problems after 1 year. Haven't seen any fading yet :)
Maybe if your van sleeps outside you could have some problems with the colours over time, depending on the brand of wrapping vinyl. Be sure to use high quality vinyl, brand like 3M or Avery are very good.
Some parts should be taken of to get a nice result (lights / grills / bumper / ...)
I paid €1100 for my red 3M wrap.

Removing of the vinyl should be fairly easy ... But haven't tried that myself.

Someone said to me that the upper half would be more expensive and difficult to wrap then the bottom half, because of the roof.

Good luck!
two tones are awesome.They make the grey streets more colourful!

(English is not my first language, sorry for the mistakes)

The bottom half of my coast is wrapped. Really durable, no problems after 1 year. Haven't seen any fading yet :)
Maybe if your van sleeps outside you could have some problems with the colours over time, depending on the brand of wrapping vinyl. Be sure to use high quality vinyl, brand like 3M or Avery are very good.
Some parts should be taken of to get a nice result (lights / grills / bumper / ...)

Someone said to me that the upper half would be more expensive and difficult to wrap then the bottom half, because of the roof.

Good luck!

Language faultless

Good luck!

love your wrap. Would definitely like to two tone ours one day. Really suits the lines of the T6.

Do you get any issues with the non-wrapped paint fading more than the wrapped paint? Perhaps the swage lines in the van mitigate this, but would be a potential concern for me for a long-term half/ partial wrap.

We planned to get our white Cali wrapped but delayed as sooo many choices of colour. After two weeks we decided we love the white and will save ourselves ÂŁ1500. My son had his T5 unwrapped before he sold it, no signs of any damage or dullness to the paintwork.

Good luck!

hello,
looks good in the picture. Normally we have delivered our california by May next year: we chose cherry red with the option of wrapping the top if wanted. Where did you get it done? We live in Belgium ;)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hello,
looks good in the picture. Normally we have delivered our california by May next year: we chose cherry red with the option of wrapping the top if wanted. Where did you get it done? We live in Belgium ;)
Thanks in advance.

www.letteristique.be
Don't know where you are located in Belgium, but this guy (Davy) lives & works around Gent. Did a great job, very professional.

www.letteristique.be
Don't know where you are located in Belgium, but this guy (Davy) lives & works around Gent. Did a great job, very professional.
thanks for the tip; we live in Bruges; Ghent is close by.
Just looked at the website that you sent and it looks good indeed.
Greetings

I am still considering wrapping the top half of my blue van, silver. Probably leave the roof alone.

I have all.the front panels of my vehicle transparent wrapped , together with mirrors, A Pillars, door handle cups and rear bumper to protect against stone chips , finger nail scratches and loading mishaps. Wrapping the bottom for protection makes sense. Wrapping the top for nothing other than cosmetics not so much.

I have all.the front panels of my vehicle transparent wrapped , together with mirrors, A Pillars, door handle cups and rear bumper to protect against stone chips , finger nail scratches and loading mishaps. Wrapping the bottom for protection makes sense. Wrapping the top for nothing other than cosmetics not so much.

packing for protection, can be...you will notice after a while whether this is the case or not. I think a color wrap is also cosmetic only and we are considering one for that too; the top by the way.
Greetings

Back