Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What can you carry in the Roof Space with the roof closed.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I can confirm that you can carry, on top of the roof bed mattress with the roof closed, 1 Full length Wedding Dress with a 6' train 1 Bridegroom's suit and 1 Mother of the Bridegroom's outfit.
Now off to the Italian Riviera for a week.

I followed someones tip on here and keep the window covers up there, including the windscreen one, already erected and ready to go! saves space and time

I find that if I disregard that silly bleeping and don't lower the roof then I can carry a lot more :shocked

That's good to know @WelshGas as we are off to Lake Garda next week (for another wedding) and was wondering where to store my suit and the wife's dress as last time we used the wardrobe and there was not quite enough room. :)

My wallet fits in the roof space with no problems. Bit of a bugger when looking for it afterwards at home and it does actually turn out to be the last place I'd think of looking (I sleep downstairs)

Our thin summer sleeping back and the window covers fit up there no problem

I can confirm that you can carry, on top of the roof bed mattress with the roof closed, 1 Full length Wedding Dress with a 6' train 1 Bridegroom's suit and 1 Mother of the Bridegroom's outfit.
Now off to the Italian Riviera for a week.

Hiring a Cali for the first time forgot to turn the halogen bedlight off before lowering the roof. Discovered a perfect round black spot after a few kilometers in the mattress. Happy a burning smell warned us, not a fire....

Just left Florence today... no wedding trace found.

Just left Florence today... no wedding trace found.
We did tidy up after. We're on the Med Coast, lovely beach campsite for a week and the happy couple are in Venice. The rest are dispersed around Italy.

small transistor radio, still on goes up there with roof down. If you saw a guy on the M6 looking puzzled a few weeks back trying to work out who was talking then that was probably me !

Same thing here, we've just straightened out Pisa's tower and now heading Grosseto area to stay at a camp site for some days. If you see a custardvan with a grey rear box just wave up us.

How have you found the camp site you're staying at? any particular web site?

Same thing here, we've just straightened out Pisa's tower and now heading Grosseto area to stay at a camp site for some days. If you see a custardvan with a grey rear box just wave up us.

How have you found the camp site you're staying at? any particular web site?
Same area. We are here.
http://www.maremmasanssouci.it/

My wallet fits in the roof space with no problems. Bit of a bugger when looking for it afterwards at home and it does actually turn out to be the last place I'd think of looking (I sleep downstairs)
My wallet didn't used to fit up there, but it does now for some reason ..... o_O

I did try my partner one morning but the screaming worse than the bleeping.

Good title so thought I'd try resurrecting this thread before starting a new one:

I've just bought a s/h zone sleep for the upstairs bed and the previous owner said that he left it in situ with the roof closed, without problems - which is obviously very convenient. I know you're not supposed to leave anything up there but I'm tempted to do the same. I already have an isotop liner inside so which must take up a bit of space. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this and if it has led to any problems? Also does anyone know if the hydraulic closing system has some kind of cut off which would cut in if things are getting too tight? For those of you who haven't seen a zone sleep it's pretty thin - much thinner than the mattress it lies on - but no doubt thicker than WG's dress!

Before we had a liner we used to be able to keep our summer sleeping bag up there, but with the roof liner there is not enough room. The roof tried to shut but ended up being proud of the roofline. I've not dared try again since!

Before we had a liner we used to be able to keep our summer sleeping bag up there, but with the roof liner there is not enough room. The roof tried to shut but ended up being proud of the roofline. I've not dared try again since!
Thanks - will be interested to hear any more replies. There are quite a few comments elsewhere about buckling/creasing the aluminium roof (I think more due to accidents rather than leaving something soft up there) so like youI'm reluctant to try without asking the forum...

I find that if I disregard that silly bleeping and don't lower the roof then I can carry a lot more :shocked

I do the same....the kids love it up there especially when going full pelt down the m4.

Back