What cleaning solution to clean wheels

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
What cleaning solution do you use to clean months worth of brake dust off of Alloy Wheels?
I understand Brick acid is a massive No-No

What do you use and how effective is it ?

I used to clean wheels then spray on Auto Finesse Iron Out, now I use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, works great

+1 for Bilt Hamber.

If they are old and filthy, wonder wheels, but the original wonder wheels is acid based, very effective, but be aware and use with caution.

Read the reviews on the Bilt. Looks good. I’ll order some and give it a try. Thank you’s

Simoniz Ultracare from Costco, guaranteed not to corrode alloys they claim. Enough to last a lifetime.20210129_124841.jpg

Any dedicated wheel cleaner for mine, but not brick acid!
I’ve a variety in my cleaning kit and combine what’s at hand with some elbow grease.

Lots of water when rinsing off and often I move the Cali to ensure the tyre isn’t sitting in a puddle of lord know what chemicals.

Nice results, then sealed with GTechniq wheel armour to make it easier for the months ahead.
4244534D-DED5-46F9-98AD-826E5AB91545.jpeg

I’ve a variety in my cleaning kit and combine what’s at hand with some elbow grease.

Lots of water when rinsing off and often I move the Cali to ensure the tyre isn’t sitting in a puddle of lord know what chemicals.

Nice results, then sealed with GTechniq wheel armour to make it easier for the months ahead.
View attachment 72635
Squeaky clean !

View attachment 72635
Loving the Gold Ted! Get's me thinking about having mine powder coated! Maybe Bronze against my Indium Grey though.

Soap and warm water, cheap washing up liquid. Then rinse off with clean water, can apply a spray on wax if you want to. Proprietary cleaners for wheels are s waste of money - my thoughts.

I find elbow grease works a treat!!!

I used to clean wheels then spray on Auto Finesse Iron Out, now I use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, works great
Another vote for Bilt Hamber. Been using it on diamond cut alloys for the last 5 years and very happy.

View attachment 72635
How old are the wheels Ted?
Mine have a fine line of pitting on the inside due to red hot iron grit from the disc burning in to the paint.
No sealer seems to be an effective barrier but those wheels look pristine. How ?

Bilberry wheel cleaner is Excellent - dilute 1 part Bilberry cleaner in 10 parts warm water, spray on, leave for 5 minutes and jet wash off.
£25 for 5 litres (lasts ages)

Edit: can be used on bodywork as fall out remover PH neutral

How old are the wheels Ted?
Mine have a fine line of pitting on the inside due to red hot iron grit from the disc burning in to the paint.
No sealer seems to be an effective barrier but those wheels look pristine. How ?
They were refurbished in October 19 and this ‘clean’ photo was April 20. I’d hazard a guess at 5k miles on them.
The powder coating is holding up well, but I can see some imperfections in some area’s from hot metal. (Not put a huge amount of miles on the van since though.)

Still, they are better than they were when I bought them.
CAE7A50F-DDC7-4A5B-AB3D-8C3353BF24DB.jpeg

They were refurbished in October 19 and this ‘clean’ photo was April 20. I’d hazard a guess at 5k miles on them.
The powder coating is holding up well, but I can see some imperfections in some area’s from hot metal. (Not put a huge amount of miles on the van since though.)

Still, they are better than they were when I bought them.
View attachment 72821
No Sh^* Sherlock!!!
Looks like powder coating is the way to go when a refurb is due.
Thanks for the info.

49706A80-FA0F-4D11-BDEE-0F48B16DF069.jpeg
AC2A6AD6-B7A3-4D60-A25E-D84CE4E7661D.jpeg
Agree.
Bilt Hamber is the dogs dangly bits

Back