Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you do with your grey/dirty water?

Ady77

Ady77

VIP Member
what does everyone do with their grey water when on a site with nowhere to dispose of it? We normally just use the sink for boiling the kettle, washing up a few spoons, cleaning our teeth etc. Is it ok to just let it drain off on your pitch? Or maybe just open the valve once you are on the road and let it drain whilst driving? I notice motorhomes catch the water in a bucket but this is not very practical in the Cali.

Get a folding / collapsible bucket which can be reduced in height and fits under the drain pipe. About 4 bucketfuls usually empties the tank.

many sites have a drive over drain/grid --- just drive over open the tap

I have seen a number of vans dumping dirty water in car parks including suppermarket
it gives us a bad name

If on a campsite, ask for the drain point.

If on a CL ask the owner, some actually prefer soapy water being left to run, if it is only grey water. Otherwise collapsible bucket and grey water disposal point.

If wild camping, and really really full, look for a lay-bye with drain grids, or, car parks with public toilets and use a bucket.

In practice I have never been full. Common sense. If I am not assured of means of disposal then I don't use tons of water. That tank can go a long way before it needs emptying. With the sort of usage you suggest you could go weeks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DM
The sink is really too small to wash dishes in so our tank has very little use, a few dribbles from the tap and from brushing our teeth; maybe rinse a cup or two so it takes ages for it to fill. The 'grey' water can be used for the plants at home.

NON OF THE ABOVE ARE ACCEPTABLE YOU DIRTY SO AND SO
Use an official drain point.
NEVER drain on to a pitch. The next person may put their awning there which becomes their living space.

We hardly use our sink so we put one of those Ouwell folding bowls under the outlet and empty it when needed. Where the waste water goes depends on the site but most sites are happy for it to go in the bushes. We don't discharge on the pitch though, makes it mucky for the next lot.
Always put a small rock in the bowl though, otherwise it can blow away.

Back