Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if anything) irritates you about you Cali?

V

Vagophile

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Trying to organise the cupboards, I get annoyed that the left door does not fully clear the partition when open and consequently I cannot withdraw a box directly out of the left hand cupboard on the right side without moving it to the left. This can be annoying if it means that the container already on the left also has to be moved. I appreciate that a degree of precision would be necessary to make the doors fit and also clear their respective cupboards and maybe it isn't worth the trouble. However that little bit of space could make all the difference! Incidentally, I have tried to remove the door by lifting it up and pulling out the bottom, but it doesn't seem to work. How do the doors come out?

Handbrake - Can't swivel drivers seat with brake on.
Cup holders - Two hands job to put cup in them, if you can find one that fits safely
Radio/head unit - turns off after 20 minutes
In my mind all these minor but irritating issues could relatively easily been overcome but the fact that they haven't suggest a lack of thought and real world testing.

Handbrake cant swivel drivers seat
Only one 240 volt socket
Inverter socket in awkward place to get to.
Too many beeps from control panel when lowering roof.

Rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles,

and the delay when pulling away

Good afternoon,

There are not a few things that irritates me, but of course there are some:

1. No central lock button either near the upper bed or the "living space" (not even in T6.1)
  2. Rattle (I don't believe that all the noise is coming from the content of the shelves and drawer)
  3. Open and closing of sliding doors can be awkward (This has been solved with the new doors in the T6.1)
  4. Using the sliding side windows can be fiddly, mechanism should be better
  5. Lever for grey water tank on an awkward place
  6. No compass (I know not essential, but I don't understand how they could build a camper without a compass, I had them in my Tiguan as standard)
  7. To open and close the gas cylinder for each use (it is annoying) before driving off
  8. Build quality of the van could be a wee bit better for that amount of money
  9. No power socket on the dashboard (This has been added in the T6.1)
  10. Blinds can be a bit "fiddly". They might not look that nice, but curtains might be better
  11. Blinds on the front window are to fiddly to use, should have been more robust
  12. Turning of driver seat should be easier
  13. Clarity if the car alarm is switched to internal only or not - could be improved
  14. Gauge for fresh and wast water tank could be a bit more in detail
A lot of the things mentioned above are changed on the T6.1. In general most of the items it is easy to live with.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

1. No central lock button either near the upper bed or the "living space" (not even in T6.1)
  2. Rattle (I don't believe that all the noise is coming from the content of the shelves and drawer)
  3. Open and closing of sliding doors can be awkward (This has been solved with the new doors in the T6.1)
  6. No compass (I know not essential, but I don't understand how they could build a camper without a compass, I had them in my Tiguan as standard)
  7. To open and close the gas cylinder for each use (it is annoying) before driving off
  10. Blinds can be a bit "fiddly". They might not look that nice, but curtains might be better
  11. Blinds on the front window are to fiddly to use, should have been more robust
  13. Clarity if the car alarm is switched to internal only or not - could be improved
A lot of the things mentioned above are changed on the T6.1. In general most of the items it is easy to live with.

Regards,
Eberhard
Blimey! I question why you bought it! It's a shame that VAG doesn't seem to take any notice of multiple recurring faults, I see the same sort of comments on my Skoda club forums.

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard

Eberhard to please

Blimey! I question why you bought it! It's a shame that VAG doesn't seem to take any notice of multiple recurring faults, I see the same sort of comments on my Skoda club forums.

Good afternoon,

Well, to look at the camper in the showroom and a short drive is not enough to find out the small day-to-day issues one can experience using the van. I am sure that many items that irritates me a wee bit, are not relevant to others.

The list developed during usage of the van the last 2 1/2 years. A lot of them are sorted on the T6.1. If I would have the money I would at least consider to upgrade...

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard
There is an electronic compass as one of the display options.

There is an electronic compass as one of the display options.

Good afternoon,

Well, unfortunately not on my van :(. I believe there is a way if the radio has the SatNav integrated. Then it is possible to get the compass (I need to look up how, forgot). But for the normal version I have it is not available.

Analogue compasses won't work, which was expected (never the less I had to try). Electronic compasses are not that easy to get. I believe the "Wayfinder" compass might work (it seems they have a different way) in a car, but it seems that those devices are not available anymore.

I might organize myself a cheap, used mobile phone which I use (haven't tried this yet, but I assume it works).

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Well, unfortunately not on my van :(. I believe there is a way if the radio has the SatNav integrated. Then it is possible to get the compass (I need to look up how, forgot). But for the normal version I have it is not available.

Analogue compasses won't work, which was expected (never the less I had to try). Electronic compasses are not that easy to get. I believe the "Wayfinder" compass might work (it seems they have a different way) in a car, but it seems that those devices are not available anymore.

I might organize myself a cheap, used mobile phone which I use (haven't tried this yet, but I assume it works).

Regards,
Eberhard

oh, ok didn’t know that. The compass on my iPhone is very good. As you say maybe get an old one.

The Disco's I've had have had a compass integrated into the rear view mirror and been pretty good. Irritations hand brake and rear head rests.

only one bit I feel its a big one.......
poor battery monitoring and shocking split battery charging system, at ÂŁ50k plus this should have a high spec DC DC charger min 40amp but ctek with smart pass would be ideal, the systemic has as standard isn't fit for purpose.... other than that , I love it !!

I lied, only other thing I would change is the awning, I would ideally have a ostrich awn from big country

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard
As well as the radio/sat nav compass there is one showing your direction on the dash mfd.

As well as the radio/sat nav compass there is one showing your direction on the dash mfd.
Good evening,

I wish that would be the case. It seems that this is only available if there is the VW build in SatNav. Which is not the case in my van. Because of this the van obviously won't have the gps antenna.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good evening,

I wish that would be the case. It seems that this is only available if there is the VW build in SatNav. Which is not the case in my van. Because of this the van obviously won't have the gps antenna.

Regards,
Eberhard
I just had an RCD310. A simple radio unit with DAB.
When I replaced my wing mirrors (because of the motors for retraction were broken), I discovered a GPS antenna behind the right mirror. Now my aftermarket nav system is using the original VW GPS antenna through the now obsolete DAB antenna cable.

If you take off your right front door trim, if you see a blue antenna connection, you have a GPS antenna, but probably connected to nothing (like mine was).

The flimsy front lower grill. Had 2 smashed to bits now by hitting a pigeon and more recently a pheasant,. The pheasant has also managed to damage the 1st cooler matrix behind it . But it seems ok. Is it the air con condenser?

Back