Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What insurer?

slidingaround

slidingaround

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,

Iv'e tried Comfort and Safeguard for my new to me (67 plate) California Ocean. Both seem quite expensive, Im nearly 40, live in a good area, clean license, driven vans/campers and sports cars over the years and have 16+ years no claims, annual mileage up to 10K and quotes are coming out at £420-£430.

Comfort:
Seemed good but if you need to be away from your camper for more than 48 hours that isn't your home address you need to tell them each time. So going to an airport on holiday i would need to let them know each time, seems like a right faff.
Any mods, even wheels, id need to tell them each time, would need to pay £20 fee plus a rise in Premium.

Safeguard seem good but the same thing, if i wanted to add side bars for example, i would need to cancel the insurance with current provider and go with someone else, which is about £550 odd. Seems really expensive.

Any advice out there? Thanks in advance.

I'm with Comfort, £320.00 12k a year business use all mods declared and recognised in an email no extra charge I'm 55 other half is under 50.

Thanks, it does make mine look expensive.

Your under 40 I'm 55, I live in a semi rural location Van is garaged behind locked gates. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yeah i guess it would, mines just kep on my driveway.

Have you told them it has a Cat 1 Thatcham alarm, does it have front or rear or both parking sensors plus a reversing camera. It can all help.
It has sensors and camera. Not sure what the factory alarm is actually.

Made a couple of amends and got the VIP discount, cancelled the breakdown cover as my bank covers that and got it for £320. Thanks for the help. I must say this forum is very helpful. :)

Hi All,

Iv'e tried Comfort and Safeguard for my new to me (67 plate) California Ocean. Both seem quite expensive, Im nearly 40, live in a good area, clean license, driven vans/campers and sports cars over the years and have 16+ years no claims, annual mileage up to 10K and quotes are coming out at £420-£430.

Comfort:
Seemed good but if you need to be away from your camper for more than 48 hours that isn't your home address you need to tell them each time. So going to an airport on holiday i would need to let them know each time, seems like a right faff.
Any mods, even wheels, id need to tell them each time, would need to pay £20 fee plus a rise in Premium.

Safeguard seem good but the same thing, if i wanted to add side bars for example, i would need to cancel the insurance with current provider and go with someone else, which is about £550 odd. Seems really expensive.

Any advice out there? Thanks in advance.
Try Justkampers just renewed my 2006 Cali with 6K miles and named driver fully comp. at less than £200

JustKampers worked out about £100 cheaper for us when compared to Comfort for same cover. Had been with Comfort for 2 years before switching but they had no interest in negotiating on the quote.

Try Justkampers just renewed my 2006 Cali with 6K miles and named driver fully comp. at less than £200

Never looked at those guys, took out the policy with comfort, will have a look with them next time.

Just switched from Comfort to Safeguard and some positives for both.

Been with Comfort for 3 years and they did not hike up my policy after the initial year.

My circumstances have now changed and as I no longer have a driveway Comfort will not insure which is fair enough as it’s how they work with their insurers.

Move to Safeguard was seamless with only a slight increase but with the addition of Breakdown Cover. Only loss was the cover to drive other vehicles but not a problem for me.

Safeguard did require proof of no claims and Comfort provided this to me on the day of the switch automatically by PDF.

Impressed with both.

Mike

Made a couple of amends and got the VIP discount, cancelled the breakdown cover as my bank covers that and got it for £320. Thanks for the help. I must say this forum is very helpful. :)
Surely you have VW Assist Breakdown. . Cover is for 3 years from new, even if the California is sold. You should have covered until 2020 or more , depending when it was first bought.

Surely you have VW Assist Breakdown. . Cover is for 3 years from new, even if the California is sold. You should have covered until 2020 or more , depending when it was first bought.

Oh really? Never heard of that, the dealer (VW) didn’t tell me about that.
Van was registered in Nov 2017.

Oh really? Never heard of that, the dealer (VW) didn’t tell me about that.
Van was registered in Nov 2017.
You are covered until November 2020 both Uk & Europe.
Suggest phoning VW assist give your registration .

You are covered until November 2020 both Uk & Europe.
Suggest phoning VW assist give your registration .

That’s great, thanks

Back