Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is a Bulli?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I’ve seen these badges on Calis, parked up next to a pristine 4 with a Bulli badge, until now I thought it was 6 thing?

Discuss.

I thought it was perhaps what they called a California in Germany.

First VW Transporters in the '50s were available in two variants: for passengers (Bus) and for transporting goods (Lieferwagen). Bus + Lieferwagen = Bulli. It's a nickname.

I opted for the Bulli option, besides the side badges, you also get a Bulli named light on the sliding door step.

First VW Transporters in the '50s were available in two variants: for passengers (Bus) and for transporting goods (Lieferwagen). Bus + Lieferwagen = Bulli. It's a nickname.

I opted for the Bulli option, besides the side badges, you also get a Bulli named light on the sliding door
Spon on.

You’ll very frequently find it is the generic term for any small Campervan on the smaller campsites around Germany.

When we lived in Frankfurt with our Westfalia KeplerOne, we would spend weekends up and down the Rhein and Mosel. Almost all sites we booked would refer solely to Bulli when reserving.

Outside of the camping fraternity though, I find it’s a word which is understood on a 50:50 basis. Some people know immediately what you’re referring to, others not a clue!

Back