Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is acceptable roof sag?

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Our roof sags over time and gets retensioned automatically as per normal designed behaviour. When the van was new we never really noticed a sag before it got retensioned (partly because it always seems to go off in the middle of the night!). After a year or so it started sagging quite noticeably on one side but the dealer dismissed it as normal (& they couldn't replicate the behaviour). That one-sided sag seems to have disappeared but now we are getting a more equal sag overnight- not sure if the higher daytime temperatures are significant (we are currently in France, though UK seems to be roasting too). I think the dealer will brush it off but with only six months warranty left I need to know if there is an issue or not.
97a3db22adf39346a9d9d0b31d862832.jpg
. How are others getting on with this?

Our roof sags over time and gets retensioned automatically as per normal designed behaviour. When the van was new we never really noticed a sag before it got retensioned (partly because it always seems to go off in the middle of the night!). After a year or so it started sagging quite noticeably on one side but the dealer dismissed it as normal (& they couldn't replicate the behaviour). That one-sided sag seems to have disappeared but now we are getting a more equal sag overnight- not sure if the higher daytime temperatures are significant (we are currently in France, though UK seems to be roasting too). I think the dealer will brush it off but with only six months warranty left I need to know if there is an issue or not.
Absolutely - get it sorted. Both sides of mine have had the struts replaced recently and it is an expensive job. Get it done under warranty. I would think it is likely to get worse.

Ours sagged a lot less then that and it was repaired under warranty.

I think it just should stay up , thats meant to be....
But however in some cases it comes down , some even a lot.
I had it once , or twice but just a very small bit of lowering....
They say heat , high temps. does encourage it ....

Thanks for the responses. It is good to go to the dealer with an idea of what is 'normal'. Any idea what is involved in the job- wondering if I need to find a dealer with experience.

Thanks for the responses. It is good to go to the dealer with an idea of what is 'normal'. Any idea what is involved in the job- wondering if I need to find a dealer with experience.

Definitely go to someone with experience and you will probably find that it is a pretty routine job for them! Mine had both struts replaced but individually rather than together because one side went down first followed a couple of weeks later by the other. Mine also had new bellows but that was because the original ones had split away from the roof. Try and get them to do them as a pair which they should as both sides are sagging.

ours has no sag before or after roof repair

What is normal is no sag.

Mine is 3 years old and has never sagged,

unlike it's driver :sad

Mine is 6 years old and has been used over 200 times up/down and has never sagged, not even once..!

Seems some do and some don't.

Weirdly mine sagged on one side a few times and then stopped doing it at all. How can that be? But anyway all looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the manual rooves sag, or is it just the hydraulics of the automatic?

aileron346: ours does not do it all the time which is why I wondered if it is hot weather related (but still a fault it seems).

What is normal is no sag.

Mine is 3 years old and has never sagged,

unlike it's driver :sad
Mine is 6 years old and has been used over 200 times up/down and has never sagged, not even once..!

Seems some do and some don't.

Use it or lose it. Hydraulic systems can suffer from seals " drying out " if not used on a regular basis and many Californias, judging by the milage of some are not used on a regular basis. No different to VW's recommendations on charging Leisure Batteries for at least 12 hrs on a monthly basis and firing up Diesel Parking Heaters on a regular basis.

Well yes WG but our roof is well used so don't think that is our issue.
In that case, as you are under warranty, and thats why there is a warranty, take photographs and get a Dealer to examine it properly and register your concerns on the VW system. Ideally a VW Dealership that has good reviews in the Dealer Review Forum and who understands the California. As others have mentioned, they have had repairs carried out with much less visible sagging.

As it's a closed hydraulic system without much of a reservoir as far as I can see from the diagrams, it must be quite difficult to;

A. Bleed all the air out
B. Keep any air bubbles caused by cavitation from moving round the circuit

As WG says running it up and down a few times a month will help keep the system lubricated.

Also holding the pump on for a couple more seconds when up or down when you hear the motor tone change will pressurise the seals and hopefully push any airbubles past.

As it's a closed hydraulic system without much of a reservoir as far as I can see from the diagrams, it must be quite difficult to;

A. Bleed all the air out
B. Keep any air bubbles caused by cavitation from moving round the circuit

As WG says running it up and down a few times a month will help keep the system lubricated.

Also holding the pump on for a couple more seconds when up or down when you hear the motor tone change will pressurise the seals and hopefully push any airbubles past.
The Button should be held ON until the Electric Hydraulic pump STOPS automatically, whether raising or lowering. Anything less can be problematic.

We never had a problem (roof used a lot) until a recent trip to France, reasonably high temps and a 'sag' to one side, not massive but noticeable. It didn't correct itself and I had to briefly lower then raise it after a day or so to correct it.

Needless to say it's in at VW in a few weeks for it to be checked (should say no qualms from them, they said it should be checked) so will see what happens.

Our roof has not sagged in four years of use; it adjusted itself in the middle of the night once a year or two ago and gave us a hell of a fright - thought the roof was going to close itself with us inside :-0

If not under warranty, I'd advise to lubricate the jacks with a little WD40. It works wonders as the jacks get a little stiff and dry with time. Just be careful of overspray onto canvas.

If not under warranty, I'd advise to lubricate the jacks with a little WD40. It works wonders as the jacks get a little stiff and dry with time. Just be careful of overspray onto canvas.
Would Silicon spray be better as unlikely to mark canvas.?

:rage
They won't want to repair it with 6 months left, they will be clamouring to repair it for you after 6 months though!
Without wishing to be rude, ours sags after about 36 hours or so but only on one side - this is actually normal and to be expected.
As we have a. 2011 model, we don't have the auto re tension facility which only came into being around 2013 I believe.
Definitely insist and take it back. I had mine done back in 2012. Good as gold now. :)

Would Silicon spray be better as unlikely to mark canvas.?
Sure. It may not penetrate quite as well but I think it would work. The issue is drying out or seizing of the jacks due to lack of use, atmoshperic conditions or whatever else. If the roof meets to much resistance it will malfunction. I doubt VW thought about lubrication as a longer term maintenance issue. Put a piece of cardboard or newspaper behind the spray. I used a long nozzle pipe to direct the spray. I also smeared the WD40 along the areas where arms of the jacks were likely to rub against each other. Does that make sense ?

Back