What is the best comfortable topper for the lower bed
We have the be comfort one already
But need to cure wife’s bad back after a night in our cali
Duvalay 5 cm ones are sealed in our local shop and they won’t open one
Spend £100 without trying I think not
Thanks

looks good but expensive
would need to try one
do you have the vw comfort mattress also ?

I to had issues with my back, all resolved with a 120 wide air mattress. Pumps up quick with a 12v pump and takes no space at all, place it in a single duvet cover to stop it squeaking against the plastic trims. All happy camping now

Interested in following this thread as we have just come back from 2 weeks camping, we tried "upstairs" "downstairs" sleeping together and apart and each morning our backs were screaming at us! We have just the standard mattresses, I a, worried that about a memory foam topper being too hot.

I started this on another thread but could finish on this one ....

We bought a zonesleep topper

We tried it out last weekend on both the upper and lower beds ( i know the one we bought is specifically for the upper but it fits the lower pretty well too)

It was very comfy !

I know it is a bit pricey but in the end i justify it along the lines of people are happy to spend 50, 60,70 grand on a car they drive for 2 or 3 hours a day but begrudge £300 for something they will spend 7 or 8 hours a day on !

I base it being comfy on our at home Tempur mattress and although in reality it isnt as comfy as a tempur it comes close enough for me

For the last 6 years of owning a California I’ve always found that the beds are very uncomfortable compared to our 60’s VW which was just heaven.
I’ve tried the comfortz mattress dreadful I have found. Purchased a new California which had the VW comfort mattress I must say much better but still waking up feeling like I needed someone click back into place.
But recently I have found and used to great success an inflatable mattress with built in memory foam. Not cheap but purposely designed for T5-T6 bed. I have slept as comfortable as at home.
Given the cost of the California another £250 wasn’t much to enjoy sleep.
Highly recommend but I guess each other’s back issues are individual.

59C7273D-90CF-4EDA-B458-52F8E769313A.png

Will have to check spec 4inch thick and compressed down enough to fit up in roof bed for transit.
It’s a fairly new product but as mentioned transformed sleep.

We have an expensive duvalay fitted one on the bottom its "ok" for a night or two but I wouldnt want to sleep on it long term. you would think for such an expensive vehicle they would at least include a decent mattress ! upstairs we have the standard one and a memory foam topper from amazon on top of that again its "ok" for a couple of nights, not great when travelling as we have to store it in the van and it takes up loads of room so we are looking for an alternative.....Another few grand down the drain...

We have an expensive duvalay fitted one on the bottom its "ok" for a night or two but I wouldnt want to sleep on it long term. you would think for such an expensive vehicle they would at least include a decent mattress ! upstairs we have the standard one and a memory foam topper from amazon on top of that again its "ok" for a couple of nights, not great when travelling as we have to store it in the van and it takes up loads of room so we are looking for an alternative.....Another few grand down the drain...
I agree with you it’s very poor. As I mentioned our 60’s VW was amazing for comfort.
If you decide to try out the sea summit you do get 28 days to return. Plenty of time to try out. Good luck.

Yes the poor mattress quality put me off from using the van for long periods,we were hoping to travel next year for a few months in Europe however im reluctant to do that in the California unless we can find a real mattress alternative,and of course you dont really know until you've tried and tested them, I cant find the sea summit on-line currently but it looks interesting and you obviously rate it highly

Seatosummit.co.uk
Click on products
Click on sleeping mats
Click on delux si comfort
Finally click on campervan should show price of £250.00
That’s the correct one made for T5/T6
I’ve have questioned many times if the Cal if for us due to poor sleep. Over last few years we have really only used it as a overnight but mainly day trip. I’m yet to use this mattress for more than 4 nights but early signs are it’s the best thing I’ve ever found.
Just my view.

I think i might get one of these, i asked about it last year but
was a bit put off as he said that it is a complete replacement and
that i should sling the original, I've just got to get my head around
getting rid of the original not quite perfect mattress.

For the last 6 years of owning a California I’ve always found that the beds are very uncomfortable compared to our 60’s VW which was just heaven.
I’ve tried the comfortz mattress dreadful I have found. Purchased a new California which had the VW comfort mattress I must say much better but still waking up feeling like I needed someone click back into place.
But recently I have found and used to great success an inflatable mattress with built in memory foam. Not cheap but purposely designed for T5-T6 bed. I have slept as comfortable as at home.

View attachment 50857
Is it self inflating or must you blow to inflate it?

Seatosummit.co.uk
Click on products
Click on sleeping mats
Click on delux si comfort
Finally click on campervan should show price of £250.00
That’s the correct one made for T5/T6
I’ve have questioned many times if the Cal if for us due to poor sleep. Over last few years we have really only used it as a overnight but mainly day trip. I’m yet to use this mattress for more than 4 nights but early signs are it’s the best thing I’ve ever found.
Just my view.
Thanks for this yes im the same really questioning if its the right vehicle as its so un-comfortable to sleep in

I put mine on top of VW comfort mattress. It self inflates and has a clever valve that when you deflate the air can’t come back into it.
I takes about 2 hours to inflate for the first time and I left it inflated in the house for two days before using it. You can blow in to add but the foam inside is just perfect.
It takes only a few minutes to collapse and store away. It’s creates warmth to muscles which helps with my back and legs.
It’s designed in Australia for backpacking needs and extreme cold hiking initially then clearly the managing director has a California with a bad back. Ha ha.

I put mine on top of VW comfort mattress. It self inflates and has a clever valve that when you deflate the air can’t come back into it.
I takes about 2 hours to inflate for the first time and I left it inflated in the house for two days before using it. You can blow in to add but the foam inside is just perfect.
It takes only a few minutes to collapse and store away. It’s creates warmth to muscles which helps with my back and legs.
It’s designed in Australia for backpacking needs and extreme cold hiking initially then clearly the managing director has a California with a bad back. Ha ha.
And after the first time ? Also a few minutes to inflate ?
Is it ok for the top bed too?

Yes takes minutes to inflate after initial set up. I see no reason why you couldn’t use it upstairs.

hi all
after the issues my wife had
we went for the thick duvalay memory foam mattress, gold x 5cm thick
she loves it
sleeps as good as at home
only issue it takes up a bit more than half the bed
but peace and happiness rules over a bit of space

View attachment 50857
I have just bought one of these as well and recently took it on our two week holiday, used it both on the back seats and in the roof and like you i cannot rate it highly enough. No more dead sides, really comfy, easy to inflate i also purchased their "Jet Steam" accordion like pump which works surprisingly well rather than breath extra potentially damp air into the mattress to inflate. Well pleased with it just seems a bit strange though regarding the description. In all the adverts and even there own website they just read designed for a 'campervan' The shape of the mattress obviously looked very familiar with the cut out on one side so i took the chance when i ordered it and low and behold designed specifically for a VW California. Photo I have attached is the cover it came in.
When i first tried it out i took the standard mattress out and left it at home but i found it a bit of a pain to let the air out to get the roof completely down because the lats don't seem to be that strong kneeling on them without protection of the mattress and the mattress out of the van is huge so storage would be an issue or otherwise would have to dump it which would be a waste. When I took it away the second time I left the factory mattress in and used the Sea to Summit mattress on top, can't say we noticed it was any more comfortable it just meant it was easier to deflate when we moved on.

IMG_3715.JPG

Back