Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is your fall back meal of choice whilst Cali-ing?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I just thought that I would post this question after eating what has become a favourite, if all else fails, meal. Like us, many of you may carry the makings of a basic but tasty favourite meal onboard at all times just in case. You know the sort of scenario, you've pitched up late, there's no pub nearby and you've not had time to go shopping. If you do have an emergency meal, please tell what it is?

We've just spent two lovely nights camping on the very peaceful Romney Marsh. Glorious sun and baby lambs as far as the eye could see. Walked to the pub the first night and prepared our fall back meal on the second whilst watching the sun disappear beneath the 400KV national grid lines.
20210423_141835.jpg
Here is our recipe for what we call PPC stew:

Ingredients:
3 x cloves of garlic
2 x onions
Dash of olive oil
1 x tin of potatoes
1 x tin of mixed petite pois and baby carrots
1 x tin of stewed steak in gravy

Method:
1. Chop and gently brown the onions in a little olive oil.
2. When onions are nearly browned add 3 x cloves of crushed galic.
3. Heat the potatoes and juice in a separate pan as per instructions on the tin.
4. When nearly hot enough add the drained peas and carrots.
5. When hot drain off the liquid and add the stewed steak in gravy and the onions and garlic.
6. Add a good glug of red wine and stir until it's hot.

Serve with crusty bread and butter and a good bottle of red.

It's very tasty and filling on cold nights. A little Bovril is another possible enhancement.

Why is it called PPC stew? Because it occurred to us that if it wasn't for the label, the stewed steak could just as easily have been Prime Pedigree Chum!

Last edited:
That is very industrious Borris!

On my first night I will have something prepared at home. A frozen, one-pot meal that pops in my Remoska, normally a lasagne or my loin of cod with a Parmesan, herb and sun-dried tomato crust. Either complemented by a nice fresh salad. Simple, easy, one pot.

I am predominantly a pescatarian so Tuna with mediterranean stir fry is a regular as is cod in a cheese sauce, both with salad and rice.

Now, if the sun comes out .... my pescatarian hat gets thrown off, chips get thrown in the remoska, the table and chairs get dragged out of the Cali, the Bistro stove always in the back of the Cali gets turned on and there is a big rib-eye in the pan.

That is very industrious Borris!

On my first night I will have something prepared at home. A frozen, one-pot meal that pops in my Remoska, normally a lasagne or my loin of cod with a Parmesan, herb and sun-dried tomato crust. Either complemented by a nice fresh salad. Simple, easy, one pot.

I am predominantly a pescatarian so Tuna with mediterranean stir fry is a regular as is cod in a cheese sauce, both with salad and rice.

Now, if the sun comes out .... my pescatarian hat gets thrown off, chips get thrown in the remoska, the table and chairs get dragged out of the Cali, the Bistro stove always in the back of the Cali gets turned on and there is a big rib-eye in the pan.
That all sounds yummy! You are very organised preparing meals at home before hand. I'm afraid neither of us is that organised. That may be because many of our trips are spur of the moment things. So it's usually a case of grabbing something on the way.

We do occasionally knock up something in our slow cooker though, so that it has hours to cook before we eventually stop. Living in East Kent means it's always a long way to anywhere else in the UK.

What I'm really after is what do you keep on board in your emergency locker........apart from wine. :thumb

Last edited:
That all sounds yummy! You are very organised preparing meals at home before hand. I'm afraid neither of us are that organised. That may be because many of our trips are spur of the moment things. So it's usually a case of grabbing something on the way.

We do occasionally knock up something in our slow cooker though so that it has hours to cook before we eventually stop.
I have a whole drawer in my freezer set up for one pot meals so always have something to grab.

Tomorrow I am making a lasagne and will make an extra portion to freeze. If I suddenly get the call of the road My fridge is stocked up in minutes.

I used to cook regularly in my Cali until Warwick races ladies day in 2019. My niece and nephew came to join Jo and I at the CAMC campsite and a most convivial afternoon and evening was enjoyed. We then had dinner in the caravan but the rib-eyes I cooked in the Cali.

With the freshly cooked rib-eyes on a tray I stepped carefully backwards out of the Cali, missed my step, clattered backwards to the ground my hand striking the step of the caravan with a sickening crack.

Waking up in the Cali the following morning, a smell of cooked meat lingering everywhere, that feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach that something awful had happened, the two mixing together and a wave of nausea at the smell as I looked down at the plaster on my hand and arm as memory cells fired up. Oh yes, Warwick A&E, broken wrist and hand.

:thumb
forget all that faff.
put a pie in the ridge monkey,cook on low heat . 2 minutes before removing the said pie, chuck some mushy peas in. job done.
Yep, that'll do it.

Do you always keep a pie and a tin of MP's on board for such occasions though?

That all sounds yummy! You are very organised preparing meals at home before hand. I'm afraid neither of us is that organised. That may be because many of our trips are spur of the moment things. So it's usually a case of grabbing something on the way.

We do occasionally knock up something in our slow cooker though, so that it has hours to cook before we eventually stop. Living in East Kent means it's always a long way to anywhere else in the UK.

What I'm really after is what do you keep on board in your emergency locker........apart from wine. :thumb

Flatbreads, packet soup, muesli,

:thumb

Yep, that'll do it.

Do you always keep a pie and a tin of MP's on board for such occasions though?
beans or peas yes. i always grab some farm shop goodies on route. so yes

Keep a couple of these in the van in case of need; just heat it up and it’s a great meal for the 4 of us with some bread and a glass of red. They do a decent Coq au Vin too. Normally stock up on the way back from skiing ready for the summer but seem to be running low for some reason...

499A7AC0-3B54-4A14-BBA8-B2CB49193F54.jpeg

A nice King Billy. Nice and hot with plenty of grated Cheddar and a monster bag of Dozzas.

A nice King Billy. Nice and hot with plenty of grated Cheddar and a monster bag of Dozzas.
King Billy? Dozzas? Go on give us a clue.

I've tried Google but had no luck. :thumb

12 posts in and no one has as yet mentioned these.

View attachment 77218
There are some interesting ideas being posted and Pot Noodles do fit the brief perfectly. A small stash of these would feed a hungry crew in an emergency. As far as I'm aware they don't need any special storage arrangements, probably have a long shelf life and can be ready in a very short time.

One of my grandkids offered me one to try for the first time recently. Whilst I can see the strong attraction of a cheap, hot, instant meal, I can't say that I enjoyed it that much. However, that's just me.

There are some interesting ideas being posted and Pot Noodles do fit the brief perfectly. A small stash of these would feed a hungry crew in an emergency. As far as I'm aware they don't need any special storage arrangements, probably have a long shelf life and can be ready in a very short time.

One of my grandkids offered me one to try for the first time recently. Whilst I can see the strong attraction of a cheap, hot, instant meal, I can't say that I enjoyed it that much. However, that's just me.
Give the Bombay Bad Boy a try @Borris

I love grandkids; i just couldn’t eat a whole one

I'm always telling our littleuns that they can't say they don't like it until they've tasted it. However, by the sound of it I think I'll be giving the Bombay Bad Boy a wide swerve thanks
Oh, All right, I'll try one just for you @LemonDrop. Watch this space.

Last edited:
I have a whole drawer in my freezer set up for one pot meals so always have something to grab.

Tomorrow I am making a lasagne and will make an extra portion to freeze. If I suddenly get the call of the road My fridge is stocked up in minutes.

I used to cook regularly in my Cali until Warwick races ladies day in 2019. My niece and nephew came to join Jo and I at the CAMC campsite and a most convivial afternoon and evening was enjoyed. We then had dinner in the caravan but the rib-eyes I cooked in the Cali.

With the freshly cooked rib-eyes on a tray I stepped carefully backwards out of the Cali, missed my step, clattered backwards to the ground my hand striking the step of the caravan with a sickening crack.

Waking up in the Cali the following morning, a smell of cooked meat lingering everywhere, that feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach that something awful had happened, the two mixing together and a wave of nausea at the smell as I looked down at the plaster on my hand and arm as memory cells fired up. Oh yes, Warwick A&E, broken wrist and hand.
Nightmare, have you thought of going vegetarian!

Dry fried Quorn mince Mexican style is our go to meal. Wraps warmed 3 at a time shuffling, in the frying pan. Guacamole, salsa, salad and grated cheese. Yum...

I just thought that I would post this question after eating what has become a favourite, if all else fails, meal. Like us, many of you may carry the makings of a basic but tasty favourite meal onboard at all times just in case. You know the sort of scenario, you've pitched up late, there's no pub nearby and you've not had time to go shopping. If you do have an emergency meal, please tell what it is?

We've just spent two lovely nights camping on the very peaceful Romney Marsh. Glorious sun and baby lambs as far as the eye could see. Walked to the pub the first night and prepared our fall back meal on the second whilst watching the sun disappear beneath the 400KV national grid lines.
View attachment 77188
Here is our recipe for what we call PPC stew:

Ingredients:
3 x cloves of garlic
2 x onions
Dash of olive oil
1 x tin of potatoes
1 x tin of mixed petite pois and baby carrots
1 x tin of stewed steak in gravy

Method:
1. Chop and gently brown the onions in a little olive oil.
2. When onions are nearly browned add 3 x cloves of crushed galic.
3. Heat the potatoes and juice in a separate pan as per instructions on the tin.
4. When nearly hot enough add the drained peas and carrots.
5. When hot drain off the liquid and add the stewed steak in gravy and the onions and garlic.
6. Add a good glug of red wine and stir until it's hot.

Serve with crusty bread and butter and a good bottle of red.

It's very tasty and filling on cold nights. A little Bovril is another possible enhancement.

Why is it called PPC stew? Because it occurred to us that if it wasn't for the label, the stewed steak could just as easily have been Prime Pedigree Chum!
We have 2 particular fall back favourites that are easily cooked using ridge monkeys.
Fresh salmon done slowly in butter with thin slices of potato that soften before crisping up a little then served with a good salad.
Chicken stir fry again adding thinly sliced potatoes or rice.

Back