Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What not to miss?

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So far we have 2weeks and only 1 thing planned, go down to Taunton and get solar.

Is there anything within 100-150 miles that has to be on the list? Suggests welcome.

..message ends..

Fossil beach at Kilve, with a nice coastal walk to see the longest running saga in British industrial history, Hinckley C.

Kilve was my home for 20 years, lovely place.

The area around Porlock is lovely, great coastal walks. You can stay overnight in the car park at Porlock Weir harbour, across the road from the 'Bottom' Ship* inn (haven't done that myself but there's a 24-hour option on the meter there and the pub staff said campervanning is "tolerated").

* The 'Top' Ship pub is in Porlock Village, the 'Bottom' Ship at Porlock Weir a mile or two away. Must confuse the hell out of people.

Lynton/Lynmouth area: Watersmeet, Woody Bay and Lee Bay. Very pretty areas for walking.

Dunster Castle: the perfect castle on a hill.

Knightshayes Court, near Tiverton. Victorian neo-Gothic pile, stunning interiors, and spectacular gardens.

The beach at Woolacombe Bay.

If you're looking for campsites in Exmoor area, here are two suggested to me by @sidepod. We stayed at these last week, both excellent:
- Poolbridge, just south of Porlock. Very sweet little site in a 'hidden valley'.
- Caffyns Farm, SW of Lynton. Good facilities and great walks.

Lots of nice camp sites around there.
You could visit the West Somerset Railway http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/ and take a slow ride through the countryside to Minehead. The station is only about 12 miles from Roger Donoghue. It's a very pleasant ride with countryside views at first then up the edge of the Severn Estuary.

Cheddar Gorge is worth seeing whilst you're down there.

If you're going a bit further down I enjoyed the Eden Project.
The Eden Project, an educational charity, connects us with each other and the living world, exploring how we can work towards a better future.

Our visitor destination in Cornwall, UK, is nestled in a huge crater. Here, massive Biomes housing the largest rainforest in captivity, stunning plants, exhibitions and stories serve as a backdrop to our striking contemporary gardens, summer concerts and exciting year-round family events.

Padstow & Rock are lovely too & fantastic beaches, see also: https://www.visitcornwall.com

Have you got bikes with you? There are a lot of off road safe cycle paths in the West Country.
I can list a few if you want.

Have you got bikes with you? There are a lot of off road safe cycle paths in the West Country.
I can list a few if you want.

No bikes this time, both the Bromptons need some TLC so not this time.

So much in the West Country depends on your interests.
Exmoor & Dartmoor (great for walking up tors ,along river valleys).
So many beautiful beaches Devon & Cornwall. We like body boarding & walking the dogs. A lot of beaches dog are banned , but there are still plenty for dogs to run on.
Dartmouth- http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk

Within 150 miles of Taunton? Tower of London? Pembrokeshire Coast Nat Park? Seriously Taunton born and bred me and you won't need to go that far. If I had two weeks and didn't want to do the obvious and head down to the Cornish beaches I'd try a touring route along the lines of...

1st head north from Taunton on the A358 toward Minhead (taking in aforementioned Kilve, Dunster, Somerset Railway). Then head west on the A39 - spectacular route across the edge of Exmoor (Porlock Weir, Lyndon and Lynmouth, Watersemeet, Valley of the rocks). Keep on to Woolacombe, Croyde, Saunton. Then a choice - either cut back across Exmoor or head for Bideford (and Instow/Appledore) and follow the Tarka trail (A386) down to Oakhampton and a dose of Dartmoor before hitting the M5 at Exeter. You could always delay by extending the loop by heading north east of Taunton and taking in the levels, Glastonbury Tor (nice campsite just outside Pilton of the Festival fame), Wells (cathedral and bishops palace worth a visit), Chedder Gorge (don't stop in the village) up on to the Mendips. Dolebury Warren and Stanton Drew are both worth a visit if ancient sites are your thing - the Swan and Pony and Trap nearby respectively if food and drink are more up your street).

There are no must sees really but it's a beautiful and often overlooked part of the world.

Finally if in Taunton when cricket is on a trip to the County Ground is recommended. One of the great English county grounds (I am biased) and a brilliant atmosphere when full, sadlly only T20s these days.

Endless beautiful places down that way but I have a particular soft spot for the Dart river having holidayed down there many times as a kid in the 70s and now we take our kids there. We rent a cottage and take the Landy and a small boat but a Cali will be ideal. :)

Yep, fair shout from Max there. We head down to Dartmouth at least once a year. Nearby the drive down from Blackpool Sands to Torcross...great but short stretch of road between the beach and Slapton Ley. God I don't want to go to work tomorrow

So much to do in Devon & Cornwall, so it really depends on what things you like to do, how old or active, kids or pets in tow, relaxing or heavy sightseeing agenda. I've posted on some fav spots in both counties, including several of the places mentioned by other above. If you can give us some guidelines on what floats your boat we can make more specific recommendations. I'm Bristol based so the SW is our 'home' patch!
Cheers
Ian

IMG_0305.JPG

As per Max we love the river dart. Campsite just above " Greenway " Agatha Christies holiday home. Easy walk down the lane to Greenway then hop on small passanger ferry (dog friendly) to Dittisham (good cafe & pub overlooking the river). Just beautiful.
Husband favourite place to sail .

Roger fitted a solar panel for us in May .Very pleased with it. We opted for the smartphone app.
We headed off to Heritage campsite in Wales afterwards. Amazing coastline to explore.

Last edited:
Ahh, we stay on the other side at Dittisham! :)

ditti111.jpg

Alf's in Dartmouth - the best!

attachment.php

Round in the boat to Start Point this May half term:

attachment.php

And my kids entertaining the public at Bayards Cove:

289k9ih.jpg

We have to agree too! The site at Galmpton has amazing views over the River Dart and is a short walk to the fascinating family home of Agatha Christie (Greenway - National Trust site). From Greenway Quay you can catch a ferry trip over to Dittisham or up or down the Dart to Dartmouth or Totnes. Brixham town (& fishing harbour) is also very close with lots going on! A walk on Berry Head affords great views across Torbay to Torquay and Paignton. There are some fab farm shops nearby, plus plenty of other fun activities and in Galmpton itself is a lovely pub called the Manor Inn. https://www.galmptontouringpark.co.uk/ The second picture below is The Fingle Bridge Inn at Fingle Bridge, which is down a road to nowhere from Drewsteington, just of the A30 on the north edge of Dartmoor. It is definitely worth the detour on a sunny afternoon. From here you can walk (2 miles) up the picturesque valley to Castle Drogo (another lovely National Trust site) or drive between the two. The list of things to do and lovely places to stay in huge!IMG_1946.JPG IMG_2029.JPG

Don't forget Woodlands (adventure park) too for the kids (and us 'big' kids). :)

Thanks all. Pleased I asked now. Looks like I could have everything sorted.

Lots of nice camp sites around there.
You could visit the West Somerset Railway http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/ and take a slow ride through the countryside to Minehead. The station is only about 12 miles from Roger Donoghue. It's a very pleasant ride with countryside views at first then up the edge of the Severn Estuary.

I totally agree, the W.S.Rly is pure Great Western Railway through beautiful countryside. And on your way back you could pick up a mini cask of great beer from the Quantock Brewery just by Bishops Lydeard station for consumption at your campsite!

I totally agree, the W.S.Rly is pure Great Western Railway through beautiful countryside. And on your way back you could pick up a mini cask of great beer from the Quantock Brewery just by Bishops Lydeard station for consumption at your campsite!

Railways and potentially a mini cask now we're talking. Sign me up!