Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What option do you regret not getting?

Getting a 5.1 because I prefer the look of the headlights over my 5.0. However having a LHD Comfortline, I have enjoyed most of the benefits which owners of the latest T6's in UK are only getting now :thumb

Getting a 5.1 because I prefer the look of the headlights over my 5.0. However having a LHD Comfortline, I have enjoyed most of the benefits which owners of the latest T6's in UK are only getting now :thumb
Get it facelifted.

I went through the spec. list last night, and there isn't a single option box that I regret not ticking. Power latching was on my original list but I decided not to go for it as it is just one more thing to go wrong. There are some standard features on the Ocean than I regret aren't available on the Beach, such as a second battery, and a high voltage leisure battery socket (I spent ages searching for one). But after I install my 200w solar panels on the roof next week I will feel that we have pretty good all year round leisure power.

I went through the spec. list last night, and there isn't a single option box that I regret not ticking. Power latching was on my original list but I decided not to go for it as it is just one more thing to go wrong. There are some standard features on the Ocean than I regret aren't available on the Beach, such as a second battery, and a high voltage leisure battery socket (I spent ages searching for one). But after I install my 200w solar panels on the roof next week I will feel that we have pretty good all year round leisure power.

Slightly of the subject, but I wish I had not spected the RNS510 not good they could have done better, on the T 5

Where did you get your panels from?

This is a perfectly respectable question, but with such a loyal bunch of Cali owners, I suspect you'll get a similar response to asking parents "which is your favourite child?"

The 80l tank but don't think it was an option at at the time. Would like to have had the all weather tyres but missed due to stupidity or bad luck.

Went with the LEDs at the last minute and was a good option.

None but there are a couple I wouldn't have bothered with.

None but there are a couple I wouldn't have bothered with.
Power folding wing mirrors, that were a late addition to my spec list, are a waste of money in my opinion. If they folded and unfolded with the ignition, like my old car, they may have been worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Where did you get your panels from?
Ordered from Roger Donoghue, picked up, I hope, by my brother who will, I hope, help my incompetent DIY skills by fitting them while I hold the screwdriver (most likely the wrong one).

Power folding wing mirrors, that were a late addition to my spec list, are a waste of money in my opinion. If they folded and unfolded with the ignition, like my old car, they may have been worth it.

Wait until you hit narrow country lanes - you'll find it very useful to able to tuck them at will when meeting oncoming vehicles.

I agree with the headlamp option - the standard units are very poor so although I object to having to pay extra for decent headlights I think this is an option I would go for if I had my time again. I never considered them a necessity on such a high spec vehicle and have been shocked with the standard offering. Lots of posts on this on the forum as I am sure you are aware.

Wait until you hit narrow country lanes - you'll find it very useful to able to tuck them at will when meeting oncoming vehicles.
But the way they fold only reduces the width by about an inch. Mind you I guess that could be an important inch if you knock a mirror off.

The side scan option. All you get is a dim yellow light on the door mirrors which you don't notice unless you look for it. If you remember to do that you will have remembered to look over your shoulder and check the blind spot! Waste of time. The equivalent on a Mazda 6 is a bright yellow light inside the vehicle and a loud beeper.

The side scan option. All you get is a dim yellow light on the door mirrors which you don't notice unless you look for it. If you remember to do that you will have remembered to look over your shoulder and check the blind spot! Waste of time. The equivalent on a Mazda 6 is a bright yellow light inside the vehicle and a loud beeper.

Sorry, have to disagree with that. If you are checking your mirrors before changing lanes, the lights on the mirror frames are directly in your line of sight and will warn you by flashing if there is something you would otherwise not spot without a look over your shoulder and maybe not even then. Had them on my last Caravelle and they were top of the list for the new Cali.

Power folding mirrors are essential driving our narrow country lanes on Dartmoor.

Also very useful in Cevennes area in France when a large motorhome is speeding towards you in the middle of the road on the narrow mountain roads !!!!:talktothehand

Last edited:
Sorry, have to disagree with that. If you are checking your mirrors before changing lanes, the lights on the mirror frames are directly in your line of sight and will warn you by flashing if there is something you would otherwise not spot without a look over your shoulder and maybe not even then. Had them on my last Caravelle and they were top of the list for the new Cali.
I guess I have been spoilt with the Mazda version. Perhaps they are as effective albeit more subtle. I must admit that whilst I have criticised them I haven't turned them off. :)

......... and perhaps some option boxes I am happy I didn't tick.

Like a lot of people we anguished long and hard over which options to add to the ever growing list as it was getting a bit out of control, and to make ourselves feel we were not trying to buy VW in its entirety, just one campervan, a stop had to be called somewhere.

Admittedly self control wasn't very good, in the end ticking most of the option boxes. Well we started with a 204 DSG 4Motion, so we were all ready in for a shedload of money, so what was a little bit extra. Get in before the Pound/Euro gets any worse, buying the Cali was the fulfillment of the dream, why not fully spec it,”we deserved it” to quote that famous hair product manufacturer L'Oreal, the trouble was we weren't just buying a bottle of shampoo.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, here are the options we didn't choose and the reasons why.

N7N Alcantara seats.
On our T5 they were leather with Alcantara inserts. On our first T6 (I know that that sounds a bit flash, but their was a health reason that caused its early departure), it was posh plastic instead of leather with Alcantara inserts for the same price, and it, well just looked a bit cheap compared to the T5’s seats.
So on SusiBus T6 Mk II we’ve gone for standard cloth trim, which we think looks fantastic and will be cooler in summer, then we’ll spend the £750 we’ve saved on cleaning them, if and when it's required.

GX5 Electric Door.
Had one on the T5, caused us no end of grief and numerous visits to the van dealers before it was cured. Can only be fully open or closed in electric mode, heavy to use in manual mode.Bleeps when closing, not great on camp sites late at night. Flattens battery if used a lot when not on hook up.

PXE LED Lights.
Price, didn't want to be flashed by oncoming vehicles, besides when it's dark I hope to be usually parked up, we don't use our Cali as our daily drive.

ZL6 Chrome package
Price, although a bit of bling on the big lump of lower grill plastic would be nice.

As regards all the options that I did tick, which I now I think I was tempted into thinking I needed, on reflection I might not.

Anyway, I'll leave that for another post.

LED lights, however... they are STUPIDLY expensive, so I can live with the standard ones if only because I saved myself a load of cash. £2k can buy a LOT of camping trips.

The colour-coded dash. Gutted that I didn’t realise I could have that until it was too late to change my order.

Lowering Springs. I specified the HD anti-roll bars, but not the lowering springs. I've since ordered the springs to be retro-fitted but typically there seems to be a world shortage of them now!!

But, I’m splitting hairs here. Its an awesome vehicle and I’m totally smitten. Extra ‘toys’ wouldn’t make me smile anymore to be honest :) Be grateful for what you have, there are far more things in this world to be stressing over....

I'm amazed by how long some of the option lists folks have chosen can be. My Beach was a pre-registered demonstrator, but if I'd have had to spec one from scratch I'd have agonised over having so many choices. Generally less is more for me - I actively wanted it as simple as possible.

A year on I'm fairly happy most of the things I could be interested in are bolt-ons (alloys, topper, springs, side bars, bike rack, tow bar etc) rather having to be factory.

I too would've liked LED headlamps (only as the standard lights are poor) but wouldn't have ever paid a grand per side ...

I too would've liked LED headlamps (only as the standard lights are poor) but wouldn't have ever paid a grand per side ...

Wow, are LEDs RRREALLY £2k then? What an absolute rip-off, VW must be making most of their profits off the options lists. We didn't have to make any tough decisions about Velma as we 'adopted' her at 9 months old. Quite glad now we were spared having to choose all this stuff, as I probably wouldn't have been able to resist some bling!

Only wish i had Climatic instead of just A/C as Climatic has the rear vents. But otherwise, happy with everything i have:cool:

LED lights, however... they are STUPIDLY expensive, so I can live with the standard ones if only because I saved myself a load of cash. £2k can buy a LOT of camping trips.

The colour-coded dash. Gutted that I didn’t realise I could have that until it was too late to change my order.

Lowering Springs. I specified the HD anti-roll bars, but not the lowering springs. I've since ordered the springs to be retro-fitted but typically there seems to be a world shortage of them now!!

But, I’m splitting hairs here. Its an awesome vehicle and I’m totally smitten. Extra ‘toys’ wouldn’t make me smile anymore to be honest :) Be grateful for what you have, there are far more things in this world to be stressing over....
I ordered my new Cali with lowering springs. Took over six months to be delivered and then found out the springs couldn't be fitted as they're on back order!

I ordered my new Cali with lowering springs. Took over six months to be delivered and then found out the springs couldn't be fitted as they're on back order!

It's rubbish isn’t it!!! How can there be a world shortage of spring for flips’ sake :(

Still, on the plus side, 6 months wait is pretty good, most of us waited 8 months plus :Depressed

Back