Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What should I start looking for

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Well I have finally decided that next year around June time I will have enough money to put down maybe a 40% deposit on a new Cali, I've already started looking at them which is crazy as it's still a year away but I can't help myself. Can anyone recommend a good dealer to start looking at, I'm in Hertfordshire but I'm not fussed where they are based. Also do any dealers offer PCP plans like you get on cars or is it straight finance?. Also should there be certain things that are a must to be fitted or is the Ocean generally a well spec'd vehicle?

Well I have finally decided that next year around June time I will have enough money to put down maybe a 40% deposit on a new Cali, I've already started looking at them which is crazy as it's still a year away but I can't help myself. Can anyone recommend a good dealer to start looking at, I'm in Hertfordshire but I'm not fussed where they are based. Also do any dealers offer PCP plans like you get on cars or is it straight finance?. Also should there be certain things that are a must to be fitted or is the Ocean generally a well spec'd vehicle?
Morning, and welcome

I'm just up the road from you (Hitchin), and I've struggled to find a decent dealer around here. St Ives (Cambridge) were downright rude, but you could try Hatfield / Northampton for your initial search and then maybe start looking a bit wider once you're ready to put the deposit down. I understand Guy at Preston and Chris at Liverpool are both very good and knowledgable dealers who will work for you rather than despite you. In my opinion, it's worth the travel to get a better level of service on something so expensive. I'm not sure if they are both in the same roles though.

If you want a look around or drive out in an Ocean, let me know and sure we can meet up. I have a well spec'd T6 so you can see the option list in the flesh, and I'm currently selling my T5...so plenty to see and compare!

SMG in Tonbridge - Laine Watts is who I dealt with. Very good and one of the biggest California sellers in the UK.

+1 for SMG Tonbridge.

If you can raise 100% of the cash (remortgage?) you might be able to get a better deal and find it a cheaper way to buy.

We got a 14% discount for a van built to our specification in return for it being used as an accompanied road demonstrator for up to 3 months or 3000 miles before delivery. (We didn't like the thought of kids bouncing about on the upper bed in the showroom).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We found you don't get the best discount with cash.

We went the PCP route which came with a service plan ,also got a discount (dealer) plus a cash incentive for taking PCP.

We paid off the PCP within 7 days ,you have 14 days cooling off period.

The biggest discount seems to be those Cali which are ex demo,which usually have low miles.
Worth phoning around alot of dealers.

Last edited:
Our real discount was 17 or 18% as we had an MY17 for the price of an MY16 less 14%.

There are loads of incentives for PCP, but there must be a very good reason for them to offer those incentives, which still need to be paid for by someone.

My wallet was robbed when I was in my early twenties by a man in a sharp suit convincing me that a low start endowment mortgage what just what I needed, and would be cheaper than a repayment mortgage.

Cash is king.

Simple borrowing is cheaper than complex borrowing.

Loopholes are known and factored into the price.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

The biggest discount seems to be those Cali which are ex demo,which usually have low miles.

Agree with this and many were never used as a demo but still have the demo discount. I and several others on here got big discounts on a demo model that was brand spanking new

We went the PCP route which came with a service plan ,also got a discount (dealer) plus a cash incentive for taking PCP.

We paid off the PCP within 7 days ,you have 14 days cooling off period.

Can I ask what dealer you used?

Morning, and welcome

I'm just up the road from you (Hitchin), and I've struggled to find a decent dealer around here. St Ives (Cambridge) were downright rude, but you could try Hatfield / Northampton for your initial search and then maybe start looking a bit wider once you're ready to put the deposit down. I understand Guy at Preston and Chris at Liverpool are both very good and knowledgable dealers who will work for you rather than despite you. In my opinion, it's worth the travel to get a better level of service on something so expensive. I'm not sure if they are both in the same roles though.

If you want a look around or drive out in an Ocean, let me know and sure we can meet up. I have a well spec'd T6 so you can see the option list in the flesh, and I'm currently selling my T5...so plenty to see and compare!

Hi, That would be great If I can take a look and get to see it properly!

Hi, That would be great If I can take a look and get to see it properly!

Hi Richard

I tried to send you a message with my details, but think that I can't as you're not a VIP member of the forum. I'd recommend you do join, as it's more than worth it for the advice and help you get here.

If you don't want to do that quite yet, then you might be able to PM me (I'm not sure). Top right of the screen, next to your name, you might see an envelope...if you do, give it a go to 'start a conversation' and send me your number. I'll text you back.

EDIT : Actually, scrap that. Realised my mobile number is there for all to see on my advert on this forum for selling the T5. Just contact me on 07826 544 454

Can I ask what dealer you used?

We phoned several dealers. Guy in preston was the most helpful.
Got the best dealer from drivethe deal online VW dealer, unfortunately drivethedeal no longer sell Cali.

We looked at the VW PCP offers online & VW finance to talk through paying the loan off. Most dealers will say you need to keep for a few months but this wasn’t true at the time.

We were cash buyers but got little interest/discount from the dealers.

The cash incentive from PCP, we used to add an option.
We managed a totally of 10% on a new order, but that was 2016.

Just got a quote webuyanycar for £1200 less than we paid in 2016.
Dont intend to sell it.

One of the best thing we did was hire a Cali & motorhome before ordering.

Also took the extended warranty(have 5 yrs). Must be taken within 3 mths of purchase of cali.

At this price point, cash is most certainly not king in my experience; we ordered our new CaliO a few weeks ago, initially as a "cash buyer"; however, after discussing it in detail with the dealer we went for the PCP option because doing this we got an extra £1000 deposit contribution over and above the discount we'd already negotiated plus we got a much better service package which is only available if you take the PCP deal (we got a discount of around 6.8% based on the OTR price).

They can afford to offer additional incentives when opting for PCP (or other finance models) because by and large most people who go that route will pay the monthly payments which include the interest; so both VW and the dealers want you to sign up for finance rather than buy outright; all the "extras" you get when going the PCP route are paid for by all the folks who continue the finance until the end of the finance term.

For us, we will settle the PCP within the first month of taking delivery so we will have a little interest to pay plus the £10 "right to buy" fee but overall we will have got a much better deal. I researched settling a PCP agreement early and as far as the VW PCP deal goes, there are no "early settlement" fees beyond the small amount of interest that will have accrued between the date the finance agreement began and the settlement date.

Our dealer said that in the end, most of "his" cash buyers end up doing it this way.

BTW - the maximum deposit you can put on a Cali on PCP is 30% (so you might have enough put aside before June '19); also, the production schedule for MY19 will be worked out by VW in August, with orders being fulfilled in anything from 2 to 6 months; so if 2019 is similar to 2018 in terms of VW's manufacturing schedule and you don't order until June 2019 then there is a possibility that you won't see your shiny new Cali until 2020 and so I'd consider following the advice of Verity above and order sooner; remember the only thing you pay at the time of order is a £1000 deposit (or £2000 depending on if you include any "dealer" options).

As for the spec, you are quite right in that the Ocean is very well spec'd as standard; although there are plenty of additional options available if you want them. Our local dealer was very helpful and knowledgeable but I've found these forums to be a far better source of info regarding which options to consider; the dealers tend to just say "yeah, great, I can add that for you" whereas on here you will find real-world opinion based on what people actually use; although for every "good choice, get it" comment you find, you'll likely find equally as many "don't bother" comments but the great thing is you get to see things from both sides of the fence.

My advice would be to spend time in the online configurator and for each option you want that you are unsure about, do a quick search on here and see what all these good folks have to say about it and repeat until you settle on the spec that you are happy with; then get down to the dealer to work out the best possible deal :thumb

Oh and one last thing, the extended warranty VW offer is an absolute bargain but you can only add it within months 1 to 3 of ownership (I think); if you wait any longer then you can't get it.

Welcome and happy CaliO shopping ;)

At this price point, cash is most certainly not king in my experience; we ordered our new CaliO a few weeks ago, initially as a "cash buyer"; however, after discussing it in detail with the dealer we went for the PCP option because doing this we got an extra £1000 deposit contribution over and above the discount we'd already negotiated plus we got a much better service package which is only available if you take the PCP deal (we got a discount of around 6.8% based on the OTR price).

They can afford to offer additional incentives when opting for PCP (or other finance models) because by and large most people who go that route will pay the monthly payments which include the interest; so both VW and the dealers want you to sign up for finance rather than buy outright; all the "extras" you get when going the PCP route are paid for by all the folks who continue the finance until the end of the finance term.

For us, we will settle the PCP within the first month of taking delivery so we will have a little interest to pay plus the £10 "right to buy" fee but overall we will have got a much better deal. I researched settling a PCP agreement early and as far as the VW PCP deal goes, there are no "early settlement" fees beyond the small amount of interest that will have accrued between the date the finance agreement began and the settlement date.

Our dealer said that in the end, most of "his" cash buyers end up doing it this way.

BTW - the maximum deposit you can put on a Cali on PCP is 30% (so you might have enough put aside before June '19); also, the production schedule for MY19 will be worked out by VW in August, with orders being fulfilled in anything from 2 to 6 months; so if 2019 is similar to 2018 in terms of VW's manufacturing schedule and you don't order until June 2019 then there is a possibility that you won't see your shiny new Cali until 2020 and so I'd consider following the advice of Verity above and order sooner; remember the only thing you pay at the time of order is a £1000 deposit (or £2000 depending on if you include any "dealer" options).

As for the spec, you are quite right in that the Ocean is very well spec'd as standard; although there are plenty of additional options available if you want them. Our local dealer was very helpful and knowledgeable but I've found these forums to be a far better source of info regarding which options to consider; the dealers tend to just say "yeah, great, I can add that for you" whereas on here you will find real-world opinion based on what people actually use; although for every "good choice, get it" comment you find, you'll likely find equally as many "don't bother" comments but the great thing is you get to see things from both sides of the fence.

My advice would be to spend time in the online configurator and for each option you want that you are unsure about, do a quick search on here and see what all these good folks have to say about it and repeat until you settle on the spec that you are happy with; then get down to the dealer to work out the best possible deal :thumb

Oh and one last thing, the extended warranty VW offer is an absolute bargain but you can only add it within months 1 to 3 of ownership (I think); if you wait any longer then you can't get it.

Welcome and happy CaliO shopping ;)

Thank you. I wonder how it would work regards my existing car being traded in. March next year it is two years old so around that time I was hoping to trade in and it should hopefully wipe its nose as the interest/depreciation should of settled by then and it should be worth what the outstanding finance is. How would it work if I was then just placing an order, would they work it all out taking my car in as a trade there an then leaving me without a vehicle or work it all out so I trade in when the van is ready?

I'm not sure how a VW dealer would handle this scenario regarding the part-ex but I purchased a new car (delivered March 2017 after a 12 month wait) and I initially wanted to part-ex when I placed the order in March 2016 but they said they would only do the part-ex "transaction" at the point that they (the dealer) received my new car from the factory, which meant a whole additional year of depreciation. In the end, I sold that car and bought my self an old banger as a runabout while waiting for the new one to arrive.

I suspect VW will do the same, they "may" give you an indicative price for the part-ex but only as it is "today", come when your Cali arrives they would do the numbers again I would think.

Best thing to do would be to go ask them, see what they say.

Thank you. I wonder how it would work regards my existing car being traded in. March next year it is two years old so around that time I was hoping to trade in and it should hopefully wipe its nose as the interest/depreciation should of settled by then and it should be worth what the outstanding finance is. How would it work if I was then just placing an order, would they work it all out taking my car in as a trade there an then leaving me without a vehicle or work it all out so I trade in when the van is ready?
The trade-in value I was offered through VW was really pretty poor and so I sold it privately at the time I needed. Webuyanycar did come up with a very good price but only after I'd already gone through autotrader.

I'm not sure how a VW dealer would handle this scenario regarding the part-ex but I purchased a new car (delivered March 2017 after a 12 month wait) and I initially wanted to part-ex when I placed the order in March 2016 but they said they would only do the part-ex "transaction" at the point that they (the dealer) received my new car from the factory, which meant a whole additional year of depreciation. In the end, I sold that car and bought my self an old banger as a runabout while waiting for the new one to arrive.

I suspect VW will do the same, they "may" give you an indicative price for the part-ex but only as it is "today", come when your Cali arrives they would do the numbers again I would think.

Best thing to do would be to go ask them, see what they say.

Yes I think best to ask them

Or look at a use one with the spec I want an slow mileage and then be able to do a part ex scenario

Discounts will be easier obtained in the winter time I imagine with delivery in Spring / Summer.

I bought a well specced pre reg with 7 miles on the clock. Still got the extend factory warranty and approx
15 percent off list price last at the end of the month ( last November. )
Decide your must haves and then check out the pre reg around the country. Most are pretty high spec.
Remember to haggle and be prepared to walk away.

Welcome Richard Hurst
Hope you find your CaliDo not forget to list spec and photos

Hope you get what you are after, if you can get as many practical extras as possible it always helps when it comes to re sale in the future.
I would recommend Liverpool. I think they sell the most in the UK so they must be doing something correct. Unsure of others but some are worse than others by all accounts.

Hope you get what you are after, if you can get as many practical extras as possible it always helps when it comes to re sale in the future.
I would recommend Liverpool. I think they sell the most in the UK so they must be doing something correct. Unsure of others but some are worse than others by all accounts.

Whats the name of the dealership in Liverpool?

Try Ian at LOUGHTON VW Van Centre. They are a new lifestyle dealer.

For the best discount, say 2haw sent you!

Back