Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What size wheels to go with air suspension

tim downes

tim downes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have read nearly all of the thoughts and discussions on air suspension and I'm now very keen to have it fitted to our t6 - I've also read some of the threads on wheel sizes - I'm wondering if air suspension might help make some larger wheels useable ? Does anyone have any views on what size wheels would best work with the VB Air Suspension ? Many thanks Tim

You don’t say bigger as in wider or taller?
Going too tall will affect gearing and braking efficiency.
Also going big might mean rubbing when it’s on a low setting...

I'm still on the standard 235/55/17 tyre wheel set and find that it 'crashes' on potholes more than the steel factory setup.

As far as going larger/bigger you will have the same size options as any normally sprung Cali.

I've being looking at options and my thoughts are-

8"x17" rim with 255/55/17 tyre to get width and more side wall for pot hole tolerance (standard rims are 7"x17"). This is also an SUV tyre size so I can have all year 4x4 tyres on my 4Motion.
Speedo should read actual speed, currently 2mph over.

8"x18" 255/45/18 tyres. Normal size supplied by VW as an upgrade. 235 tyre also available but gives less rim kerbing protection.

19" and 20" rims need lower profile tyres which give less sidewall to absorb any road surface defects which then means vibration transmitted up through wheel rim and suspension into Cali. potentially making a less refined ride. That may be OK short term but can be quite fatiguing on longer journeys. Potentially an expensive error. Tyres are expensive in these sizes.

My local council say that they won't be maintaining roads due to having no money and I now find that any trip has many Cali jarring pothole encounters even on motorways which makes that part of the deciding process.

8"x17" looking favourite but with less 'bling' than 18" rims. Keep changing my mind currently.

I'm wondering if air suspension might help make some larger wheels useable ? Does anyone have any views on what size wheels would best work with the VB Air Suspension ?
I don't think the other type of suspension changes whatever is possible or not in terms of wheel size cf your normal suspension.
Only, when you go too big, you may have difficulties when you lower your suspension, say to the parking garage mode: your tyres may rub the car when too big. You don't have that issue with fixed suspension.

8"x17" looking favourite but with less 'bling' than 18" rims. Keep changing my mind currently.
In general, the smaller the rims, the larger the sides, the more comfortable is the ride. Also, when a 4Motion and going off road, you have greater bandwidth to lower the pressure with higher than with lower side tyres. In general, 4x4 drivers prefer smaller rims, higher tyre sides.

I agree with the above.
Air suspension does not alter the suspension geometry so any wheels that fit standard suspension will fit, possible with the exception of very large diameter on the low settings.
We have stuck with the standard 17in which work fine.

Hi Thankyou for that - I guess I was hoping that the air suspension would improve the ride and therefore make it less of a problem (i.e. Less harsh) with lower profile/less side wall - but I think you are saying that has not been the case for you ?

Oh that's a disappointment - I was hoping that the air suspension would improve the ride and allow bigger rims/ smaller side walls

Hi thanks for that - my apologies my key hope was to fit some larger rims (i.e. 18,19 or 20) but not so worried about the width. - primarily for looks - we feel the standard rims look wrong (cascavels)

Oh that's a disappointment - I was hoping that the air suspension would improve the ride and allow bigger rims/ smaller side walls

I am still not sure what you are after? But it might be one of two:

I am convinced you will have a more comfortable drive with VB Air on a 20" rim than you would with the genuine suspension system. But still, with the limitations/risk, a low sidewall has towards potholes, rocks, curbs etc.

If you want to go big rubber (for off-road) then the Seikel setup is more appropriate I guess. But then you will have a permanent taller Cali. But a lot worries about potholes etc.

I am still not sure what you are after? But it might be one of two:

I am convinced you will have a more comfortable drive with VB Air on a 20" rim than you would with the genuine suspension system. But still, with the limitations/risk, a low sidewall has towards potholes, rocks, curbs etc.

If you want to go big rubber (for off-road) then the Seikel setup is more appropriate I guess. But then you will have a permanent taller Cali. But a lot worries about potholes etc.

No it's the first option - I just want to fit larger rims (for the aesthetics) but don't want a poor ride quality - so really good to hear that the vb air suspension would improve the ride quality - thanks for that

No it's the first option - I just want to fit larger rims (for the aesthetics) but don't want a poor ride quality - so really good to hear that the vb air suspension would improve the ride quality - thanks for that

There are many opinions on 18", 19" and 20" - I ended on 18" where I am very satisfied. My friend went for 20" and changed back to 18" due to loss of comfort. Others love the 20" and don't feel the comfort is jeopardized. I think there are so many circumstances that had a part here. So there is no clear answer. But I am certain – as said - the VB (or other) will improve your ride no matter what. If you stick to standard wheel circumstance.

Hi Thankyou for that - I guess I was hoping that the air suspension would improve the ride and therefore make it less of a problem (i.e. Less harsh) with lower profile/less side wall - but I think you are saying that has not been the case for you ?
I'm hoping that my VB Air ride quality is a one of problem. A continuing saga from just the installation process onwards.
I believe that I have a simple shock absorber problem left to resolve but VB UK currently don't have a Technical Rep. leaving me waiting for action.
I even tried to have it put back to original springs but apparently chassis parts are cut off making that impossible.
I can only comment on mine as I haven't ridden in any other VB suspended Cali or had another VB Cali driver in mine.

Incidentally when you go up in rim diameter the width increases as well.

7"x17" - 8" x18" - 8.5"x19" - 9"x20". 9.5"x20" isn't uncommon. You can find narrower but you then run into tyre load carrying problems with narrower big diameter tyres.

8X18" with a 255/45 tyre would be as big as safe to clear all height settings. Car park mode is low and the lowest possible is when self levelling on an incline is used. It will drop one axle completely if necessary. Back bumper nearly touching the ground on one site.

Last edited:

.....so back to where you started then?

My opinion is that you’ll be ‘more’ comfortable on 20s with air suspension than conventional steel suspension running the same rim size. Whether that’s more comfortable than steel springs and 17” rims, I don’t know. I’m basing this on my last Touareg which ran 21s and air suspension - it was a smoother ride than my friends’ Touareg on steel springs and the smaller 20” rims. The steel springs and smaller rims were still comfortable but prospective 21” owners were advised by reviewing journalists, to opt for air.

You couldn’t (when I last looked) spec an Audi Q7 with 22s and NOT spec air suspension. Hugely different wagons to a Cali but similar principle I guess. Sorry for the long winded opinion. S.

Ps there’s a white Cali on the Vossen Wheel Website with air and blue 22’s if you’re feeling brave AND flush!

I’d be trying softer dampers before I changed springs. It is after all the damper that controls how the spring reacts to a bump!

I'm hoping that my VB Air ride quality is a one of problem. A continuing saga from just the installation process onwards.
I believe that I have a simple shock absorber problem left to resolve but VB UK currently don't have a Technical Rep. leaving me waiting for action.
I even tried to have it put back to original springs but apparently chassis parts are cut off making that impossible.
I can only comment on mine as I haven't ridden in any other VB suspended Cali or had another VB Cali driver in mine.

Incidentally when you go up in rim diameter the width increases as well.

7"x17" - 8" x18" - 8.5"x19" - 9"x20". 9.5"x20" isn't uncommon. You can find narrower but you then run into tyre load carrying problems with narrower big diameter tyres.

8X18" with a 255/45 tyre would be as big as safe to clear all height settings. Car park mode is low and the lowest possible is when self levelling on an incline is used. It will drop one axle completely if necessary. Back bumper nearly touching the ground on one site.

Thanks - I'm thinking that anything wider than an 8 is potentially a problem (as the car can be specked with an 8). Whereas with the right tyres then the diameter does not increase (and probably should not increase in order to keep the speedo and odometer accurate - has anyone fitted a wheel wider than an 8 ?.

It’s not necessarily about width. Offset plays a big part.

I wouldn’t go above 18” however 17” appears the best compromise between looks and ride. Look at the wheels you fancy some designs trick the eye and look bigger. Also if you change wheels think about what make of tyre you get, this is a difference between brands as far as comfort/ ride quality!!

Good Morning,

I just spotted this thread and thought I’d post some information I gathered last week. (I know I spoke to you Mr. Downes at the end of last week).

These are the tyre sizes of a gentleman who we did VB 4C Air Suspension for a few months ago.
He had 275/35/ZR20 tyres which I have to say looked very nice.
My California is 235/55/R17. Bog Standard.

When he came down for a measure up, we were a little worried about the size particularly when we put the vehicle in ‘Car Park’ mode and gave it full lock. After quite a while of trying to be clever and work out circumferences and diameters, we decided to take off all 4 of his wheels and fit them to my California.

They didn’t rub and gave me an instant ‘wheel-envy moment’ as they do look great (particularly in Sport Mode).

We did a little test drive and they do run well and a lot nicer than R17 wheels on steel suspension. That said, tyres do offer a certain amount of suspension, and the lower the sides, the louder and less comfortable the ride becomes.

We all know why we’d opt for larger rims and lower profile tyres, so there is a compromise to be had.

If you have a look at a little web site I found, it shows you the exact circumference and height difference between the two tyres mentioned above:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

It shows a difference in height of 0.4 inches and 1.3 inches in circumference. Although it's not a massive difference, it did get quite close to the inner wheel arches so I wouldn't go too much bigger.
I'd suggest using the tyre measuring tool above and put in the tyre you're looking at to see if it changes too much.
Also bear in mind that both of the above vehicles were T5s. I don’t think there will be any difference with the T6 as that side of the vehicle doesn’t seem to have changed too much at all.

Photos you ask? I know I took a load for exactly this reason, as to where they are.....????

Regards

Ryan.

Good Morning,

Just spotted this thread and thought I’d post some information I gathered last week. (I know I spoke to you Mr. Downes at the end of last week).
These are the tyre sizes of a gentleman who we did VB 4C Air Suspension for a few months ago:

When he came down for a measure up, we were a little worried about the size particularly when we put the vehicle in ‘Car Park’ mode and gave it full lock. After quite a while of trying to be clever and work out circumferences and diameters, we decided to take off all 4 of his wheels and fit them to my California.
They didn’t rub and gave me an instant ‘wheel-envy moment’ as they do look great (particularly in Sport Mode).
We did a little test drive and they do run well and a lot nicer than R17 wheels on steel suspension. That said, tyres do offer a certain amount of suspension, and the lower the sides, the louder and less comfortable the ride becomes.

We all know why we’d opt for larger rims and lower profile tyres, so there is a compromise to be had.

If you have a look at a little web site I found, it shows you the exact circumference and height difference between the two tyres mentioned above:

It shows a difference in height of 0.4 inches and 1.3 inches in circumference. Although it's not a massive difference, it did get quite close to the inner wheel arches so I wouldn't go too much bigger.
I'd suggest using the tyre measuring tool above and put in the tyre you're looking at to see if it changes too much.

Also bear in mind that both of the above vehicles were T5s. I don’t think there will be any difference with the T6 as that side of the vehicle doesn’t seem to have changed too much at all.

Photos you ask? I know I took a load for exactly this reason, as to where they are.....????

Regards

Ryan.

Measuring a vehicle in a static condition is a world away from reality.

You need to take into account suspension compliance, (bushes flexing and wishbones deforming) for both camber and toe (each approx 1.5 degrees) and also kerb strike extremes. With this accounted for you may well have a touch condition.

These considerations along with a few others are what account for such large tyre envelopes.

Good Morning,

I just spotted this thread and thought I’d post some information I gathered last week. (I know I spoke to you Mr. Downes at the end of last week).

These are the tyre sizes of a gentleman who we did VB 4C Air Suspension for a few months ago.

Regards

Ryan.

Good Morning,

Just spotted this thread and thought I’d post some information I gathered last week. (I know I spoke to you Mr. Downes at the end of last week).
These are the tyre sizes of a gentleman who we did VB 4C Air Suspension for a few months ago:

Regards

Ryan.
Hi Ryan - thank you for this - your positive experience of the 20 inch wheels has spurred me in to find a size that will work - you don’t happen to know the width and the offset of the 20 inch wheels do you - I’m told that 8.5 width with a 45 offset (Et) will fit ?

Many thanks Tim

All I got was the info from the tyre wall:
275/35/ZR20

All I can say about the testing we did was we lowered the air to it's lowest setting (bumpstops) gave it full lock both sides and it didn't hit the wheel arches.
The real world test would be the vehicle has been out on the road for about a year now with no reported issues.
I'll have to be slightly careful on how far I can recommend tyre sizes other than the above size is the largest we've come across and it worked fine. Go larger at your own risk!
It might be worth seeing what sized tyres some of the people on this forum have that have had the VB system fitted. (Sorry, it's not something we've been keeping a log of I'm afraid).

In answer to the original question posted, fitting air suspension doesn't allow you to fit larger sized wheels than you would get away with with steel suspension. VB NL would recommend you stay within the recommended tyres for the VW California.

Regards
Ryan.