Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What tint and what goodies

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi people.

So finally we have done the deal and paid for our new ocean , we pick her up on Fri ....
My first plan is to tint the rear windows and have no idea what grade tint I should go for,?
The idea is to restrict people from seeing into rear and keep the sun out , so keep cool....
What should I go for?

Also , do the newer Calis get nicked?
What size disclok do people use ?

What are the must have purchases and what are the “I wish I hadn’t bothered “ waste of money items ?

Looking forward to replies,
Cheers
Tom

I would only go for tint if you are happy with the mismatched look on the glass behind the wardrobe as you can't get to this glass to tint it resulting in a mis matched look which I personally think looks awful

I would only go for tint if you are happy with the mismatched look on the glass behind the wardrobe as you can't get to this glass to tint it resulting in a mis matched look which I personally think looks awful
The window behind the wardrobe appears to be already tinted from the standard green approx. 24%.
Some love the full limo tint to ensure complete privacy, some couldn't care less who looks in and leave it standard for the optimum view out on a cloudy day, take your pick, horses for courses.

I'd always go with the factory tinted glass as an option - it's dark enough IMHO, superior in all ways to a film applied to the inside which scratches, can peel and looks a lot less 'factory' IME. We had aftermarket (limo) type film in our last van and it was stupidly dark inside for the kids in the rear and when using the interior mirror looking back.

As someone who had a very immobilized 12 seater Land Rover stolen in full view of Christmas shoppers in a supermarket car park - towed out by a very brazen man/woman team never to be seen again - if they want it, they will take it.

A DiscLock is a reasonable precaution (check the website as size depends on the wheel fitted) but anything and everything can get nicked and they are nothing but a minor inconvenience to thieves.

I had a Ceramic Solar tint film fitted. (no mirror effect) This reduces heat coming in and out in winter. it comes in numerous tints and I also had a windscreen shade band done plus a very light tint on the front drivers and passengers windows, no hot knees in France last summer. Cost was £50 per window - not cheap but no regrets, and it has a lifetime warranty.

Hi people.

So finally we have done the deal and paid for our new ocean , we pick her up on Fri ....
My first plan is to tint the rear windows and have no idea what grade tint I should go for,?
The idea is to restrict people from seeing into rear and keep the sun out , so keep cool....
What should I go for?

Also , do the newer Calis get nicked?
What size disclok do people use ?

What are the must have purchases and what are the “I wish I hadn’t bothered “ waste of money items ?

Looking forward to replies,
Cheers
Tom
Congratulations. Lots of people on here have tints and are very happy though how dark a tint is a very personal preference. I have 20% tint on top of factory tint and this gives good privacy without being too dark. I have limo tint (10%) on the rear window which is very dark but I do like it that anyone following can’t see how many people are in the van. Would probably go 20% all round if doing it again. Mismatch of rear double glazed rear windows is minor and only visible in certain lighting. The many benefits of tint far outway this minor issue IMO.
Very few Cali’s are stolen and the tiny insurance premiums prove this. Any that are will almost certainly be taken with the keys from your house. IMO big heavy cumbersome steering wheel locks a waste of time and too much effort every time you want to drive. Having something like a Autowatch Ghost immobiliser fitted is by far the safest system as can’t be started even with keys.

Enjoy.

10401B12-DF8F-4011-8E9D-F61ED34E9D03.jpeg

Also went 20% on top of factory option agree only small variation in certain lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had limo tint put on. Mainly for Batman my dog. It was one of the things I really liked on the marco polo which as better windows then the cheap vw ones. Dont waste your money on disc locks, all the toe rags can over come them. If they want it, they can take it. F

Well we use a Stoplock Pro. I know it won't stop a determined thief but it will slow them down and they will have to make some noise getting it off. It's easy to put on,off and stow unlike the disklok.

Personally I'm glad the Cali doesn't have the keyless ignition popular with some brands.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have 20% tint on top of factory tint and this gives good privacy without being too dark. I have limo tint (10%) on the rear window

In the photo that looks like you've done that to the front windows as well? My factory tint was just about at the legal limit (70% transmission) on the fronts as standard.
The rears are about 30-35% if you've fitted 20% tint on top of that you must be down to limo tint on the rears with 20% of 35% = 7%

You can open a stop lock with a plastic pen top and a lighter. Or if you are into nicking things a 7 pin lock pick available on line from 20 to 60 pounds.F

Last edited:
Well we use a Stoplock Pro. I know it won't stop a determined thief but it will slow them down and they will have to make some noise getting it off. It's easy to put on,off and stow unlike the disklok.

Personally I'm glad the Cali doesn't have the keyless ignition popular with some brands.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Please take this as constructive rather than just critical. :)

A lock like that, ie the same type as the old Krooklock that was around for decades is worse than useless and a waste of time. In fact they have the advantage to thieves of providing a superb lever to crack the factory ignition lock before he/she takes 30 secs or so to either use two big feet and the seat back to lever it off or just a couple of cuts in the wheel with a manual hacksaw or near silent Li-ion powered mini grinder etc or just picks it - anyone can learn to pick these locks super easily with a £5 kit - lots of how to's on YouTube.

The Disc Lock is the only (real world) lock that might offer some inconvenience - you need to spend a bit more than £50 though to even help to protect a £60k Cali vehicle a bit more.

Problem is to introduce inconvenience to the thief you need to inconvenience yourself - ie using fully encased armoured pedal boxes, Disk Locks, hidden fuel solenoid switches, extra bonnet/door dead locks, paying out for a decent pro immobiliser system, monitored tracking systems etc. All a right load of hassle and cost.

But after all that, if it really cannot be driven off then a low loader or a tow truck is a great way to spirit one away as I know to my cost...

People who nick Calis or nice Audis/BMWs/Mercs and Land Rovers are super pro and very organised - as mentioned above many of these will be targeted and the keys preferred. Before you know it the vehicle will gone, hidden in a container to defeat the tracking before it pops off east over the channel to a happy new owner.

Just use it, enjoy it and have good insurance. ;)

Last edited:
In the photo that looks like you've done that to the front windows as well? My factory tint was just about at the legal limit (70% transmission) on the fronts as standard.
The rears are about 30-35% if you've fitted 20% tint on top of that you must be down to limo tint on the rears with 20% of 35% = 7%
No tint on front windows, just the angle of pic makes it look that way.

3A835FF7-CAAF-42CB-829B-8ACDD0889497.jpeg

I'm going 20% tint....

No extra security measures. If someone wants to nick my Cali that badly then anything that I do will not stop them, only annoy me to bits with all the faffing around involved.

The vehicle is there for me to enjoy and the insurance company is there if someone interferes with that process.

Cheers people,
Having had a landrover nicked I can say the insurance companies end up loading policies after the theft so yes they will pay up but you pay double next time you insure next car or indeed any insurance then increases premiums

Please take this as constructive rather than just critical. :)

A lock like that, ie the same type as the old Krooklock that was around for decades is worse than useless and a waste of time. In fact they have the advantage to thieves of providing a superb lever to crack the factory ignition lock before he/she takes 30 secs or so to either use two big feet and the seat back to lever it off or just a couple of cuts in the wheel with a manual hacksaw or near silent Li-ion powered mini grinder etc or just picks it - anyone can learn to pick these locks super easily with a £5 kit - lots of how to's on YouTube.

The Disc Lock is the only (real world) lock that might offer some inconvenience - you need to spend a bit more than £50 though to even help to protect a £60k Cali vehicle a bit more.

Problem is to introduce inconvenience to the thief you need to inconvenience yourself - ie using fully encased armoured pedal boxes, Disk Locks, hidden fuel solenoid switches, extra bonnet/door dead locks, paying out for a decent pro immobiliser system, monitored tracking systems etc. All a right load of hassle and cost.

But after all that, if it really cannot be driven off then a low loader or a tow truck is a great way to spirit one away as I know to my cost...

People who nick Calis or nice Audis/BMWs/Mercs and Land Rovers are super pro and very organised - as mentioned above many of these will be targeted and the keys preferred. Before you know it the vehicle will gone, hidden in a container to defeat the tracking before it pops off east over the channel to a happy new owner.

Just use it, enjoy it and have good insurance. ;)
Reference is to a Stoplock PRO not the cheap Stoplock that is, I agree, pretty useless.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/95032/stoplock-pro

Same applies regardless as my quoted post - in short it does nothing to stop the thief who would steal to order a Cali. Pockatable cordless cutter with 1mm disc - probably 10 to 20 secs for two cuts through a wheel that is mostly plastic with a thin mild steel inner. Don't go by the 'industry' tests with hammers etc - that's not how they (organised pros) defeat them. They sell well because they are cheap, simple to use and install a sense of security in the buyer but in reality don't add any real security to a Cali.

Last edited:
This is my Cali with a 80% tint as added by the dealer post-delivery.

I've used this pic as a demonstration of what some have discussed, i.e. the rear window being laminated and as such having a different ‘look’.

It bothered me at first to be honest, I like clean lines and in some sunlight this is anything but :(

But, I added the B Pillar black decals to give a more continuous look, and to be honest I hardly notice the difference now, its all part of the look of my lovely Cali :thumb

For me I love the contrast of the darker windows against the blue paintwork, and it also provides excellent privacy, both for general daily use (I can leave shopping in the van on the floor without it being seen) and when camping, I don’t like sitting in a goldfish bowl!

Interestingly, I often use the van as a mobile changing room after work and the tinted windows work very well in protecting others from an early morning fright :D!!

IMG_0511.jpg

Congratulations. Lots of people on here have tints and are very happy though how dark a tint is a very personal preference. I have 20% tint on top of factory tint and this gives good privacy without being too dark. I have limo tint (10%) on the rear window which is very dark but I do like it that anyone following can’t see how many people are in the van. Would probably go 20% all round if doing it again. Mismatch of rear double glazed rear windows is minor and only visible in certain lighting. The many benefits of tint far outway this minor issue IMO.
Very few Cali’s are stolen and the tiny insurance premiums prove this. Any that are will almost certainly be taken with the keys from your house. IMO big heavy cumbersome steering wheel locks a waste of time and too much effort every time you want to drive. Having something like a Autowatch Ghost immobiliser fitted is by far the safest system as can’t be started even with keys.

Enjoy.

View attachment 29173
Hi Skewif, were your original windows (pre extra tint) the double glazed green insulating windows with green privacy tint?

Hi Skewif, were your original windows (pre extra tint) the double glazed green insulating windows with green privacy tint?
Yes they were the optional factory privacy tint you pay extra for. Then 20% film fitted in addition.

Yes they were the optional factory privacy tint you pay extra for. Then 20% film fitted in addition.
Thanks, that’s the option we’ll go for. I was confused by the “green”, I expected a tint to be a smoky grey.

I have a vague recollection that the grey and bronze glasses were ruled out decades ago under some EU spec. Only the green could be used.
Probably a failure of my grey matter recall.

Back