Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to check before extended warranty ends...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
My Cali is coming up to 4 years old. I have the extended warranty (to 5 years), but do not want to wait until the 11th hour to find things that are at fault and should be covered under warranty. Plus, based on experience with my dealer, when fixing one issue they seem to create another few and then we enter a discussion about who’s liable... I would prefer to have any obvious things sorted well before the 5 year ends so as not to have protracted liability discussions post warranty period.
I fully appreciate you can’t anticipate everything. However, there are things other members have noticed over the first few years that I can check (for example, based on the forum today I did a quick test and discovered my nearside sliding window is leaking).
I’d like to do some further checks myself for areas that are known to be at risk before it goes in for the 4 year service end of February. Also it will give me a good guide of things to watch out for over the 5th year and get logged before the end of the warranty period if necessary.
Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Good idea Alison. My van is pretty much the same age as yours. It’s due a service in a couple of months so, like you, I’d like to get any niggles sorted.

but, to be fair, I’m struggling to think of anything offhand. The only frustration that I have atm is that the bench drawer opening lever fouls the trim across the top of the bench. I can’t for the life of me work out what has changed.

Before my warranty ran out I thought the same. But apart from some niggles I can sort myself I couldn't think of anything. So I never bothered. Like you say it can cause more trouble than it's worth. The forum can fix most things for you. Trips to the dealer. Leaving the van etc. As for the leaking window.... Your wasting your life with that one too. Silicon spray. Check the drains and seal and shut the window firmly with both hands. Worked for me

The batteries. All of them. Have them load tested
They just replaced all three after ruining the leisure ones whilst sorting out an issue they created whilst sorting out an issue... (get my drift?)

Before my warranty ran out I thought the same. But apart from some niggles I can sort myself I couldn't think of anything. So I never bothered. Like you say it can cause more trouble than it's worth. The forum can fix most things for you. Trips to the dealer. Leaving the van etc. As for the leaking window.... Your wasting your life with that one too. Silicon spray. Check the drains and seal and shut the window firmly with both hands. Worked for me
Great advice. I am tempted to try this myself before mentioning the warranty if silicon spray and cleaning the drains doesn’t work. Exactly the kind of tip I am after with 8 weeks until service due.

They just replaced all three after ruining the leisure ones whilst sorting out an issue they created whilst sorting out an issue... (get my drift?)
Noted. Unsure how far you are off an MOT but if it’s close get it through one and eradicate any issues and advisories :D That’s one way to find issues

The batteries. All of them. Have them load tested
Most vehicle batteries have a 3 or 4 yr warranty so I would be very surprised if VW would consider a replacement at 5 yrs if found faulty.

Most vehicle batteries have a 3 or 4 yr warranty so I would be very surprised if VW would consider a replacement at 5 yrs if found faulty.
All three just replaced (due to previous issue posted elsewhere). Still awaiting paperwork to confirm what with... sigh...

My Cali is coming up to 4 years old. I have the extended warranty (to 5 years), but do not want to wait until the 11th hour to find things that are at fault and should be covered under warranty. Plus, based on experience with my dealer, when fixing one issue they seem to create another few and then we enter a discussion about who’s liable... I would prefer to have any obvious things sorted well before the 5 year ends so as not to have protracted liability discussions post warranty period.
I fully appreciate you can’t anticipate everything. However, there are things other members have noticed over the first few years that I can check (for example, based on the forum today I did a quick test and discovered my nearside sliding window is leaking).
I’d like to do some further checks myself for areas that are known to be at risk before it goes in for the 4 year service end of February. Also it will give me a good guide of things to watch out for over the 5th year and get logged before the end of the warranty period if necessary.
Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Check the awning fabric for damage, earlier T6's had a join that is prone to separate if subjected to hot weather.

Check the awning fabric for damage, earlier T6's had a join that is prone to separate if subjected to hot weather.
Mine was retrofitted last year - but will definitely check it. Thank you.

Noted. Unsure how far you are off an MOT but if it’s close get it through one and eradicate any issues and advisories :D That’s one way to find issues
This service (end Feb) will include an MOT so I guess I’ll get more info then as well. Want to pre-empt as much as poss.

Summary so far
  1. Look for window leakage
  2. Get batteries load tested
  3. Check awning fabric for damage
  4. Check awning for "rattles"

Summary so far
Isn't that all normal?

I don't think this is an easy topic. Some of the stuff (rattles for eg) isn't a warranty issue at 5 years.
I'd need others to confirm but how about getting the error codes read? Things that are starting to go out of range are recorded there long before they throw a warning light. They (vw) should do it at a service but I'd trust an independent guy to do it over VW..... more that might be unfair..?.. I think the vw garage will be paid (proper rates?) by vw to fix any faults they can find, so should already be incentivised to look properly...?

I don't think this is an easy topic. Some of the stuff (rattles for eg) isn't a warranty issue at 5 years.
I'd need others to confirm but how about getting the error codes read? Things that are starting to go out of range are recorded there long before they throw a warning light. They (vw) should do it at a service but I'd trust an independent guy to do it over VW..... more that might be unfair..?.. I think the vw garage will be paid (proper rates?) by vw to fix any faults they can find, so should already be incentivised to look properly...?
To look properly costs money. So no. I don't think they do

Tambour doors - check they are not starting to separate.
Roof Corrosion.
Frayed front blinds.
Shelf clips in rear cupboard aren't broken.
Top rivets for awning mounting haven't sheared.

Don't worry to much , a good VW dealer should help you out with small things even after warrenty over. Big issues are not that common . Enjoy the Cali and deal with problems IF they should show up .

Roof corrosion is a diffrent thing , every owner , even T6 and future T6.1 should be beware from day one for this .

... more for my own use now I think but here goes. Summary so far

5. getting the error codes read
  6. Tambour doors - check they are not starting to separate.
  7. Roof Corrosion.
  8. Frayed front blinds.
  9. Shelf clips in rear cupboard aren't broken.
  10. Top rivets for awning mounting haven't sheared
... albeit with my own experience of VW, most of these I'd imagine, they'd say are classed as "wear & tear" components and not actually covered anyway!

Last edited:
... more for my own use now I think but here goes. Summary so far

5. getting the error codes read
  6. Tambour doors - check they are not starting to separate.
  7. Roof Corrosion.
  8. Frayed front blinds.
  9. Shelf clips in rear cupboard aren't broken.
  10. Top rivets for awning mounting haven't sheared
... albeit with my own experience of VW, most of these I'd imagine, they'd say are classed as "wear & tear" components and not actually covered anyway!
1,6,9 & 10 were all covered by warranty but I have a fabulous dealer!

All three just replaced (due to previous issue posted elsewhere). Still awaiting paperwork to confirm what with... sigh...
It'd be very unusual to have a full warranty on a battery replacement, unless you actually paid for it, it would be given normal to end of original warranty period or 1 or 2 year parts replacement warranty.

Don't worry to much , a good VW dealer should help you out with small things even after warrenty over. Big issues are not that common . Enjoy the Cali and deal with problems IF they should show up .

Roof corrosion is a diffrent thing , every owner , even T6 and future T6.1 should be beware from day one for this .
The nearest good dealer seems to be around 300 miles away... haven’t found a good one in Scotland yet...

Can you pay to extend the warranty beyond 5 years?

My best advice is to double check that the supplying dealer properly activated the extended warranty on purchase in the first place. After 3 years, and at another dealer I was told that the VW system didn't show the extension and my warranty had expired. Fortunately I still had the receipt for the payment and they were able to sort it out eventually. I had the same problem with the service plan incidently. And I bought the vehicle from one of the better dealers.

Back