Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to take?

P

Pattacat

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ok we've booked our first weekend in our lovely beach bought last month (thanks blondebier!). We've treated ourselves to a dometic fridge and a cali topper and thermal windscreen cover. We've got the basics having camped and caravanned for 25 years but would love the hear from our more experienced Cali campers what one essential you wouldn't leave home without.

Looking forward to hearing the luxury, practical and individual must haves! Thanks.

Ok we've booked our first weekend in our lovely beach bought last month (thanks blondebier!). We've treated ourselves to a dometic fridge and a cali topper and thermal windscreen cover. We've got the basics having camped and caravanned for 25 years but would love the hear from our more experienced Cali campers what one essential you wouldn't leave home without.

Looking forward to hearing the luxury, practical and individual must haves! Thanks.
Do you like music or listening to the radio?
Repeated use of the Dash radio etc can flatten the starter battery very easily if you are not on Hookup.

Repeated use of the Dash radio etc can flatten the starter battery very easily if you are not on Hookup.

I've seen this statement or similar several times on thisforum. I really don't understand why. A car radio uses relatively little power: 1 or 2 watts, maybe a bit more if you have it really LOUD. Say it draws 1 Amp from the battery (so 12 watts), the starter battery is typically around 60Ah (amp-hours), so you could have your radio on continuously for 24 hours and still have plenty of charge left to start the engine.
My experience with my old Westy confirms this; it's lights and fans that draw more power, and of course the fridge will take way more.

So, is there something in the Cali dash that draws a lot of power?

PS I've just popped out to check my new Ocean, with the radio on, it shows a battery discharge of 0.2 Amps - so I should be ok for about a week continuous before the battery is down to half capacity. But the damn thing switches off after 30 minutes!

Our essentials for every trip are a bottle of prosecco in the fridge and we also always take our DAB radio.

Once you've put up the bunting........................Rioja. :thumb

I've seen this statement or similar several times on thisforum. I really don't understand why. A car radio uses relatively little power: 1 or 2 watts, maybe a bit more if you have it really LOUD. Say it draws 1 Amp from the battery (so 12 watts), the starter battery is typically around 60Ah (amp-hours), so you could have your radio on continuously for 24 hours and still have plenty of charge left to start the engine.
My experience with my old Westy confirms this; it's lights and fans that draw more power, and of course the fridge will take way more.

PS I've just popped out to check my new Ocean, with the radio on, it shows a battery discharge of 0.2 Amps - so I should be ok for about a week continuous before the battery is down to half capacity. But the damn thing switches off after 30 minutes!
If it was just a simple radio you might be OK, but most in car entertainment systems are not, but are in fact mini computers, decoding MP3 files, GPS if you have SatNav etc etc.
I can’t speak about the T6 systems, but on my vehicle with RNS510 I can hear the Hard Drive firing up when the door is opened unless the unit is switched off.
Why do you think the Unit switches off after 30 minutes or so, a function of the vehicle electronic module which is active all the time.
Your Westy didn’t have all this electronic trickery that modern vehicles have, just am/lw maybe FM and 2 speakers, but certainly not DAB, Bluetooth or the capability to decode MP3/wave files and amplify it to run 6/8 speakers.

When camping everything else runs of the Leisure Batteries. Also the Starter Battery doesn’t just run the Starter but the high pressure fuel pump and don’t forget the Glow Plugs which take a lot of power.

Where are you measuring the 0.2 amps. The Control Panel?
If so that is the power drain from the Leisure Batteries for the Control Panel LCD screen.

I bought an electric ring. When on mains I cook outside regardless of the weather as it can't blow out. In bad weather it helps keep the van condensation free. I would say it saves on gas too but that lasts forever. Oh and a good saucepan for my one pot meals.

WG, grateful for clarification re control panel. It's going to take me a while to understand the Ocean electrical system; anyone got a wiring diagram?
The Westy actually came with 4 speakers in 1986, but I fitted a modern radio that plays CDs, MP3s, usb, SD card. Also has remote so I could switch on, change channel etc whilst in bed. Ah, the luxuries I'm giving up for a Cali.

Apologies to the OP, this doesn't answer your question. My advice, you are experienced at camping, so you probably already have a list. Start from there and delete the items you find you don't need. Enjoy!

WG, grateful for clarification re control panel. It's going to take me a while to understand the Ocean electrical system; anyone got a wiring diagram?
The Westy actually came with 4 speakers in 1986, but I fitted a modern radio that plays CDs, MP3s, usb, SD card. Also has remote so I could switch on, change channel etc whilst in bed. Ah, the luxuries I'm giving up for a Cali.

Apologies to the OP, this doesn't answer your question. My advice, you are experienced at camping, so you probably already have a list. Start from there and delete the items you find you don't need. Enjoy!
Download this from the VIP Downloads section.
Basically the Camping side of things hasn't changed from the T5 to the T6. Should give you an idea.

Technical Guide VW Tecnician Training Manual 2016-09-07

Cracking. I'm sure you'll have lots of memorable adventures in it.

The kids miss it already and can't wait for the new one to arrive. Come on VW!

Have a great time. Autumn is a beautiful time of year to get away.

The wife, is all I need no fun without her.

bog roll. and a pen for the crossword while you crimp off a length of dirty spine. soap for when you've finished parking your breakfast. more big roll

Back