Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What tow bar?

Blue Beach

Blue Beach

Vehicle
T5 Beach
hi,
I have a 2014 Cali beach that doesn't currently have a tow bar fitted. We have just bought the altea strada tow bar bike rack and have booked the van in to get a tow bar fitted tomorrow. I am suddenly having a wobble that I have requested the wrong tow bar as I was advised by the tow bar place that I needed a 7 pin tow bar for the rack, but I have since seen that although you can get an adapter, it works best with the Cali if on a 13 pin tow bar. Does anyone know which tow bar to go for and what the difference might be?

Thanks in advance, helen

hi,
I have a 2014 Cali beach that doesn't currently have a tow bar fitted. We have just bought the altea strada tow bar bike rack and have booked the van in to get a tow bar fitted tomorrow. I am suddenly having a wobble that I have requested the wrong tow bar as I was advised by the tow bar place that I needed a 7 pin tow bar for the rack, but I have since seen that although you can get an adapter, it works best with the Cali if on a 13 pin tow bar. Does anyone know which tow bar to go for and what the difference might be?

Thanks in advance, helen
The VW California is fitted with the Westfalia towbar , either removable or fixed with a 13 pin socket that is wired into the vehicles computer system and the programmed so that when anything is plugged in, rear parking sensors are disabled, if you have built in SatNav and reversing camera then a trailer symbol is displayed when reversing and most importantly the suspension and handling is altered to take account of the trailer increased weight.
The cheaper alternative involves tapping into the rear lighting loom with Scotchlok connectors and some people have had significant electrical/lighting problems afterwards.
See here.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fitting-towbar-to-t6-ocean.13948/#post-145977

Snip
The cheaper alternative involves tapping into the rear lighting loom with Scotchlok connectors and some people have had significant electrical/lighting problems afterwards.
See here.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fitting-towbar-to-t6-ocean.13948/#post-145977

The 7 pin electrics should also be wired into the computer system and will also bring up the display, turn off the rear parking sensors provided the computer is progammed. The rear fog lights are switched via the plug socket.

Do not wire the electrics into the rear lights as you will have the parking beeper going off however close you are to something as they sense the tow bar, a real PINA!

The 13 way adds reversing lights, permanent power and a switched supply for caravans.

Provided you don't leave the adapter in the vehicle socket, either will be fine.

Alan