Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What Tow Bar?

Skinnydog0_0

Skinnydog0_0

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,

Just wondered what peoples opinions are on the best tow bar for the T6 Ocean?
I would prefer a detachable one, as i wont need it all the time- but i have to have one for towing my trailer of garden trash to the tip (and a motorbike when i'm allowed)

Does the T6 have an attachment already fitted, or is it a complete install?

Thanks.

The tow bar is not pre-installed as standard, it has to be ordered. So you may well have to do a complete install.

The Westfalia tow bar is fitted by VW and comes either as a fixed swan neck or removable. Other manufacturer's bars are available of course.

The electrics may have been prepped in the factory if you ticked the right order box. Other than that, these need to be installed correctly. That means the right electrics connected into the vehicle computer, which then has to be re-coded so the van knows when a trailer is hooked up.

Apart from the re-coding, this is a job that can be done by a competent DIYer.

Alan

The tow bar is not pre-installed as standard, it has to be ordered. So you may well have to do a complete install.

The Westfalia tow bar is fitted by VW and comes either as a fixed swan neck or removable. Other manufacturer's bars are available of course.

The electrics may have been prepped in the factory if you ticked the right order box. Other than that, these need to be installed correctly. That means the right electrics connected into the vehicle computer, which then has to be re-coded so the van knows when a trailer is hooked up.

Apart from the re-coding, this is a job that can be done by a competent DIYer.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I think i had better go to a local tow bar company and get a quote- not sure if the electrics would have been installed.
If the computer needs to be re-programmed, is this something that has to be done by VW or can any garage do it?

Thanks
Jeff

I got a removable towbar from new, it´s never been removed.
I like having it there for extra protection for my bumper.
Next time i would get a fixed one.

I got a removable towbar from new, it´s never been removed.
I like having it there for extra protection for my bumper.
Next time i would get a fixed one.
Me too. got a detachable but never detached it for the same reason.

Hi Alan,

I think i had better go to a local tow bar company and get a quote- not sure if the electrics would have been installed.
If the computer needs to be re-programmed, is this something that has to be done by VW or can any garage do it?

Thanks
Jeff

You should be able to check your vehicle sticker with the short codes, to see if you have tow bar prep. Some clever person will be able to tell you what code you are looking for.

I took Johns advice and tried searching for just Towbar - loads more info!!!!
I did spot a comment on one of these threads about the vehical sticker that Capt_Steve mentions, but where would i find this on a t6?
Thanks

I did spot a comment on one of these threads about the vehical sticker that Capt_Steve mentions, but where would i find this on a t6?
Thanks

Realy , using the searh funtcion gives loads of info....?
I must try it one day ...
:D
Sorry , inside joke that is.
Good you found some info as i have actually nothing to add as i'm towbar-less ;)
Alltough i think not many Cali will be orderd with a towbar prep. but without actually one fitted '

Thanks
Have a look at the front of the passenger seat base. I think that's where my T5's is. Might be drivers side!

Have a look at the front of the passenger seat base. I think that's where my T5's is. Might be drivers side!
If you can’t find it there (mine isn’t) you will find it on the inside cover of the vehicle handbook.

Hi Amarillo - If you keep your detachable towbar in place all the time, I would strongly suggest removing it at least every 6 months and checking it and cleaning and lubricating the locking ball and mechanism and the lock etc. It’s amazing how much dirt and grime can find its way in. A friend on mine left his detachable towbar in place for a few years on his car and when he went to sell it realised he could not remove it for love nor money - the lock worked but the mechanism had seized!

The Westfalia website gives guidance on how to check and maintain the detachable towbar.

Hope this helps :)

A friend on mine left his detachable towbar in place for a few years on his car and when he went to sell it realised he could not remove it for love nor money
Thats good to hear, hopefully mine won´t get nicked then :thumb

Hi Alan,

Thanks
Jeff
The build list is in the front of the handbook and stuck to the front of the frame of the drivers seat.

No need to go to the dealer for the re-code unless you want to. It may be more expensive. Your local independent garage or auto electrician may well have the interface available at a cheaper price. Or some of the folk on this forum have the facility and knowledge to re-code the computer and may well be up for doing it for a few beer tokens.

A decent tow bar fitting company will also be able to do it if you choose to buy from them and get them to install the kit. I would suggest Westfalia themselves, but the Bristol workshop is being closed I gather. That may well be the case if they have other workshops around the country too.

Alan

Thanks

Skinnydog,

I think that the code you are looking for is 1D7. My list was in the front of my service book. Good luck

Steve

Is it possible to get a tow bar with out the electrics?

Is it possible to get a tow bar with out the electrics?
Yes, but not legal if there are any " Automotive " electrics on whatever you connect to the tow bar.

Onl
Yes, but not legal if there are any " Automotive " electrics on whatever you connect to the tow bar.
Only want use it as a place to add a couple of Bromptons, on a mounted rack, low down and folded so they would not obscure any rear lights.

Onl

Only want use it as a place to add a couple of Bromptons, on a mounted rack, low down and folded so they would not obscure any rear lights.
That sort of bike rack will have a light board because it projects beyond the vehicle so will have to have electrics. Also, because of the extra weight hanging off the back beyond the wheels it will alter the stability control and braking system so the tow rack should be coded to the vehicle which will mean it will have to have electrics. Also if you have rear parking sensors then they will misfunction as they will be obstructed.

If you are carrying Bromptons, can't you put them into a carry bag and keep them inside the Cali when driving and put them outside when you get there? Much less trouble than a rack.
As @WelshGas says the reversing sensors will become confused because of the rack, but on mine the camera is still OK.

If you are carrying Bromptons, can't you put them into a carry bag and keep them inside the Cali when driving and put them outside when you get there? Much less trouble than a rack.
As @WelshGas says the reversing sensors will become confused because of the rack, but on mine the camera is still OK.
Good option but the normal tailgate hung rack is ideal with folders that can get their saddles/handle bars below the roof height. Folders are easier to lift into position than full sized bikes and you can normally still raise the tailgate even with the roof up.