Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What we have learned after a month...

DG1

DG1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having had our Ocean a month now, these are what we find works for us when camping and what we consider essential for our purposes.

Ladder from the shop for access to the upper bed - essential

Portapotti cube - essential

Dunelm foldable grey cube ottoman (as recommended several times on this forum) - fantastic both to disguise the Portapotti but also as a very comfortable foot rest.

Zonesleep topper - essential for the downstairs bed on top of VW "comfort" mattress (after one night of not sleeping very well and waking up aching). However, we find the upstairs bed is OK as it is.

Seat covers - not essential. We decided we want to see the original seat fabric and we were put off by the price of good quality seat covers. At the same time the seats do need protection when camping - the first night I spilled tomato sauce on the driver's seat when eating pasta. The solution we have found, inspired by suggestions on the forum, is to buy three giant size micro towelling towels in charcoal from Mount Warehouse. These go over the horizontal part of the rear seat and over the whole of the front seats when we are camping. The microfibres act like velcro on the seats so the towels stay in place really well. It also means if necessary we have spare towels if required.

Fuel Lagoon Black Out Blind Window Screen Wrap - I think this is much preferable to the built-in blinds, and the Fuel Lagoon one is a very reasonable price at £40 compared to other makes, while also strong and cutting out most of the light. Although this screen cover is not insulated, I have also bought for £12 off Amazon a Beeway insulated windscreen cover that can be fitted under the Fuel Lagoon screen wrap when the weather is cold. This works well and is far cheaper than some of the all in one insulated covers that are available. The two covers fit easily inside the seats in the tailgate for storage.

A 12v cigarette lighter fan - this works really well as an extractor fan when put next to the window while using the gas hob, and should also be of use in the summer when the van gets hot.

Marvel Outdoor Washable Mat from Dunelm - we got this for outside the door after hurting our feet on gravel pitches and getting mud in the van on grass pitches. It is light and can be easily be washed with a hose.

Another thing we found useful is to have loads of cheap dish towels which we put between crockery and glassware in the cupboard to stop it rattling.

And finally having both a collapsible washing up bowl and drainer makes washing up at campsite kitchens a doddle. These collapsible items are a brilliant invention!

Last edited:
Brilliant!

AS a user of microfibre towels over the seats I understand where you are coming from. I have a bag of old ones which I use for the dogs, and which also drape over the back seat when travelling. I find the rear headrests work really well for keeping the rear backrest towel in place.

Cheap tea towels also essential, like you I use for cupboard padding.

• Thanks
Reactions: DG1
Having had our Ocean a month now, these are what we find works for us when camping and what we consider essential for our purposes.

Ladder from the shop for access to the upper bed - essential

Portapotti cube - essential

Dunelm foldable grey cube ottoman (as recommended several times on this forum) - fantastic both to disguise the Portapotti but also as a very comfortable foot rest.

Zonesleep topper - essential for the downstairs bed on top of VW "comfort" mattress (after one night of not sleeping very well and waking up aching). However, we find the upstairs bed is OK as it is.

Seat covers - not essential. We decided we want to see the original seat fabric and we were put off by the price of good quality seat covers. At the same time the seats do need protection when camping - the first night I spilled tomato sauce on the driver's seat when eating pasta. The solution we have found, inspired by suggestions on the forum, is to buy three giant size micro towelling towels in charcoal from Mount Warehouse. These go over the horizontal part of the rear seat and over the whole of the front seats when we are camping. The microfibres act like velcro on the seats so the towels stay in place really well. It also means if necessary we have spare towels if required.

Fuel Lagoon Black Out Blind Window Screen Wrap - I think this is much preferable to the built-in blinds, and the Fuel Lagoon one is a very reasonable price at £40 compared to other makes, while also strong and cutting out most of the light. Although this screen cover is not insulated, I have also bought for £12 off Amazon a Beeway insulated windscreen cover that can be fitted under the Fuel Lagoon screen wrap when the weather is cold. This works well and is far cheaper than some of the all in one insulated covers that are available. The two covers fit easily inside the seats in the tailgate for storage.

A 12v cigarette lighter fan - this works really well as an extractor fan when put next to the window while using the gas hob, and should also be of use in the summer when the van gets hot.

Marvel Outdoor Washable Mat from Dunelm - we got this for outside the door after hurting our feet on gravel pitches and getting mud in the van on grass pitches. It is light and can be easily be washed with a hose.

Another thing we found useful is to have loads of cheap dish towels which we put between crockery and glassware in the cupboard to stop it rattling.

And finally having both a collapsible washing up bowl and drainer makes washing up at campsite kitchens a doddle. These collapsible items are a brilliant invention!

Does the Comfort mattress still fold up with the zonesleep on top and will one sheet fit over both?
I currently put a sheet over the Comfort mattress with a Dunelm teddy fleece topper on but a bit more padding might be better! Thanks.

Does the Comfort mattress still fold up with the zonesleep on top and will one sheet fit over both?
I currently put a sheet over the Comfort mattress with a Dunelm teddy fleece topper on but a bit more padding might be better! Thanks.

Hi Gillian,

I tried folding up the VW comfort mattress and Zonesleep topper together when we used it camping last weekend. It is possible to do this as the Zonesleep is divided into creases or fold lines that match the VW mattress. However, I was concerned that the Zonesleep was being crushed and the VW mattress was being bent a bit so, so decided it wasn't a good idea. The Zonesleep is actually very light and flexible so it was easy enough to pull it out of the way. I could then fold up the VW mattress and then fold up the Zonesleep on top. I was able to do this from inside the van quite easily. I was also pleased that the Zonesleep adds very little height to the mattress when stored.

We bought a couple of small double bed fitted sheets from Dunelm that being elasticated can fit over just the Zonesleep or be stretched over the VW mattress as well. However, I think a single duvet cover may be a better solution to go on the Zonesleep in the long-run as both sides are protected.

Brilliant!

AS a user of microfibre towels over the seats I understand where you are coming from. I have a bag of old ones which I use for the dogs, and which also drape over the back seat when travelling. I find the rear headrests work really well for keeping the rear backrest towel in place.

Cheap tea towels also essential, like you I use for cupboard padding.

Hi GrannyJen,

It was your posts that inspired me to try the microfibre towels - I had never heard of them before!

Hi GrannyJen,

It was your posts that inspired me to try the microfibre towels - I had never heard of them before!

Not sure if you've been to Europe this summer past but the Decathlon ones are truly ubiquitous literally everywhere on *all* the sites we visited in France, Spain, the Basque country etc and from all campers (French, Dutch, Germans etc) - Decathlon's Quecha tent and Nabaiji microfibre towels EU campsite takeover continues unabated!

When you first try the towels they feel a bit weird but do the job, never seem to get smelly, fit in a matchbox and dry in about 5 nanoseconds.

I'm a huge Decathlon fan by the way!

The Vw seat covers are quite reasonable in price and are water resistant.
My fuel lagoon screen cover ripped on the first night :(

The Vw seat covers are quite reasonable in price and are water resistant.
My fuel lagoon screen cover ripped on the first night :(
I also vouch for the genuine VW seat covers.
I bought my 2017 Ocean a month ago, and am very pleased that the covers were put on from new. The original seat trim is like new, plus the seat covers are not uncomfortable to sit on.

I'm a huge Decathlon fan by the way!

Bought a crap water bottle off them once. The top came off as and it poured it's contents all down my running shirt just as I passed one of the course photographers.

Never forgiven them since :sad

Oh dear! They do seem to do two different covers with different grade fabric. Ours has survived a very stormy night in Wales with no visible damage.
I think the missus did it opening the door tbh, but won’t admit it :mad:

Hi GrannyJen,

Same here re:mad:GrannyJen-microfibre towels. Easy, flexible, cheap.

Reactions: DG1
Are these miracle decathlon towels the ones that look of similar construction to a normal towel, or the thinner ones that more resemble a car chamy lather?

Are these miracle decathlon towels the ones that look of similar construction to a normal towel, or the thinner ones that more resemble a car chamy lather?
Car chamois. Protect seats while clinging to them, dry you faster than a normal towel, and dry out in a fraction of the time.

I am now at the stage when I can say what we have learned after a year- and that is that getting a California was one of the best things we have ever done. Anyone who is pondering whether to get one - go for it!

We have just had a great three nights in Anglesey. It's great coming back off the beach and being able to make a cup of tea - simple things...

Back