Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What would you advise?

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
At MOT I’ve been told that both front suspension arm bushes need replacing. The van is now 11 years old. It clangs on going over big bumps! My local VW agent talks of replacing the suspension arms and the bushes as the best way, at about £1000. However my small local garage, where they do my MOT will replace the bushes alone and charge only £270. My only doubt with going to him is he’s not a VW agent. Am I being daft & should I simply go for the best price? Any views?

At MOT I’ve been told that both front suspension arm bushes need replacing. The van is now 11 years old. It clangs on going over big bumps! My local VW agent talks of replacing the suspension arms and the bushes as the best way, at about £1000. However my small local garage, where they do my MOT will replace the bushes alone and charge only £270. My only doubt with going to him is he’s not a VW agent. Am I being daft & should I simply go for the best price? Any views?
Aren't there additional bushes in the arms? I would not cut corners. Given the age I would just replace all the rubber components in the suspension.

Why do VW advice not just replacing the bushes? What is their reasoning?

Our local Europarts place sells the arms at £164 per side but doesn't sell the bushes separately. Each arm has 2 bushes in it.

Just got price back from GSF £69 per arm including the bushes, or just the bushes are half that.

I would be asking the local garage how much to replace the whole arm - its probably more parts cost but a saving on labour.

I would also recommend you have the wheel alignment checked after the work is done.

Last edited:
Go with your small local garage. What more does a VW technician (even long standing) know about basic suspension than your man.? Unless the suspension has taken a severe knock and an arm has become distorted, why would there be any need to replace it? It's the usual story, fitting complete new arms is easier and more lucrative than replacing bushes.

Go with your small local garage. What more does a VW technician (even long standing) know about basic suspension than your man.? Unless the suspension has taken a severe knock and an arm has become distorted, why would there be any need to replace it? It's the usual story, fitting complete new arms is easier and more lucrative than replacing bushes.

If I was doing it myself I would replace the complete arm. It's not worth the hassle for the small cost saving in parts.
front suspension arm.jpeg

If I was doing it myself I would replace the complete arm. It's not worth the hassle for the small cost saving in parts.
Agreed, but we're talking (I assume) about a mechanic who has the kit and is prepared to do the work with a saving of maybe £100 over fitting new. What happened to waste reduction and saving the planet?

Agreed, but we're talking (I assume) about a mechanic who has the kit and is prepared to do the work with a saving of maybe £100 over fitting new. What happened to waste reduction and saving the planet?
For something that will last another 10+ years I consider that acceptable.

Only reason I see to reuse the arm is if I wanted to install PU bushings instead of natural rubber.

For a van of that age, especially if you trust them and they use genuine parts, go with the cheapest option.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near VW on a van of that age. Ask your local mechanic to replace the whole arm (both sides) with an OEM part, which will be the same quality at a fraction of the price, let alone the difference in labour rate. It’s really basic stuff, not at all complex.

I had mine replaced with a local garage, parts were about 185€
No need for Vw to do it.
images-60.jpeg

I'm having all the bushes replace for Powerflex next week. Front and rears. I'm suspicions of the VW front arms due to the bush arrangement so I wouldn't consider direct part replacement.

Labour cost is about £450 (can't remember 3hr front / 4hr rear) by an independant in Hampshire . Bushes are circa £500 with all but the front camber being adjustable. I managed to pick them up with an ebay offering for £400

If you want arms then Meyle are a good choice. Bush is solid.

For something that will last another 10+ years I consider that acceptable.
I think most are worn before then. Hence the common pull to the left / slightly offset steering wheel issue

I'd go with the bushes, swapping the arm sounds over the top, it's a huge chunk of metal very unlikely to go wrong.

Poly bushes are the way to go.
Expensive but will last the life of the vehicle.
And not lose their rigidity after 3 years.

VW suspension arms historically (last 25 years or so) have had weak bushes. The arms themselves unless you crash are almost certainly fine. Use your local mech. Polybushes are an option but they tend to be less shock absorbing but as a result are a bit more direct so slightly improve handling. Back in my car modifying days it was a common mod to swap to polybushes on VAG vehicles (did it myself once with G-clamps and bits of wood….fiddly is an understatement).

Just dealing with same issue myself.

VW and many indendent garages will steer you (excuse the pun) towards replacing the arms as it is easier for them and they are not paying the bill, you are!

The labour cost to swap out both arms is around 1 to 2 hours. Plus the cost of the arms.

The labour cost to remove arms replace old bushes with new rubber bushes is around 4 hours, assuming you have the right equipment.

So always less expensive to replace bushes only. That said many garages may not offer to do this unless you are fitting poly-bushes. These are much easier to install than rubber bushes (they work on a different principal). I'm going for the latter option. Bought the powerflex bushes from Autodoc and paying local garage to fit ...3 hours labour.

Should be a fit for life but in practice may need to remove arms to relube polybushes every 40 to 50k miles if they start squeaking.

I had a T6 Ocean that had done just under 30k miles and was about 4.75yrs old, and I was having the same issues …. I’m in NZ and the warranty is 5yrs so got the bushes replaces just before the warranty expired. VW weren’t initially prepared to do it, claiming it to be wear and tear, but they relented in the end. However, the upshot is that new bushes didn’t do much to stop the creaking and groaning over big bumps (like every time I drove out of our garage over a lowered-but-not-completely-flat kerb). It did tighten up the steering and the reduced what felt like sticky brakes (brakes had just been serviced so it wasn’t that), but I didn’t feel a huge improvement so would be inclined to replace the swing arms, shocks and steering arms if you intend keeping the vehicle. I love the Oceans to bits, and I now have a 6.1, but they are heavy and carrying that much weight day in day out must be really hard on things like suspension. Might not help that we do a lot of off road in NZ, going up rutted ski field roads and visiting remote places.

I had SuperPro poly bushes supplied and fitted to my old control arms by Retro Resus for around £400 Inc alignment and it handles great now. If you don't want the poly bushes then at least get the uprated rubber HD bushes, Meyle sell them fitted to their control arms (wishbones) for around £250 a pair or just the HD bush set for about £50 plus fitting.

Last edited:
Update on the bushes question.
I returned to the main dealer. He said.
a) VW front suspension does have movement & that is not an indicator of a problem. A non VW MoT checker many not be aware of this & raise it uneccessarily.
b) the van was recently serviced by them and the health check did not pick this up
c) there is no continuous noise or sounds of stress from the suspension in day to day driving.
d) their advice is that, they can replace the arms etc but, in their view it is unnecessary. Review in 12 months.
As I do only about 6000 miles pa I am inclined to accept this. Their standing has risen in my eyes, that have effectively lost work by giving me the correct advice.. (I’m particularly impressed by item b) above )

Last edited:
Update on the bushes question.
I returned to the main dealer. He said.
a) VW front suspension does have movement & that is not an indicator of a problem. A non VW MoT checker many not be aware of this & raise it uneccessarily.
b) the van was recently serviced by them and the health check did not pick this up
c) there is no continuous noise or sounds of stress from the suspension in day to day driving.
d) their advice is that, they can replace the arms etc but, in their view it is unnecessary. Review in 12 months.
As I do only about 6000 miles pa I am inclined to accept this. Their standing has risen in my eyes, that have effectively lost work by giving me the correct advice.. (I’m particularly impressed by item b) above )
I drove for 2 years after an MOT gave a caution that the front wishbone bushes were wearing but as you state, all transporters have movement so it's not a real issue. I finally changed all my suspension and bushes after my Cali was 12 years and 110,000 miles and it now it drives like new.

Replace with Polyurethane Bushes , contact Transporter Headquarters.. TQ see You Tube videos.

Back