Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's in a name?

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
First the good news...

Heard today that my California Ocean 204 DSG 4 Motion (that's a mouthful) has been confirmed status 20 for week 2...guaranteeing (unless the boat sinks) new registration early March 2017...Phew...will avoid the Draconian VED increase next year.

Now the question.

I have had great fun and gained loads of helpful information on the Forum but have noticed that many people refer to their somewhat expensive Pride and Joy as a Van.

I know I risk being called a snob but I'm not...really...It's just my personal feeling that having always loved the look of older VW Campervans and yearned to part of that ethos it seems strange to think of calling my new California...a Van.

I know many will say that it is Van based - call it whatever you want...and when talking to people in the know I call it a "VW California", and to those who may not necessarily know what that is a "new version VW Camper" or "Campervan".

In a moment of Sad Old Git-ness I even googled the word Van and saw that Wikipedia and Oxford Dictionaries refer to it as a vehicle for transporting goods, if without side/rear windows and possibly numbers of people if it has windows.

Not much about pride and joy, lifestyle, ethos, exploration, home on wheels etc.

I really like the way some owners feel for their California and give it a name...it is very personal to them.

I haven't decided about ours yet...maybe when I get to know it.

I lived in Canada for a few years and owned a 24 ft twin axle Caraven pulled by a 4X4 Chevy Blazer.

A Caravan out there is called a "Trailer"...so ours was called Elizabeth. :happy

My California is coming in Candy White and then having the lower half sprayed light VW green...

So maybe I could be "White California Van Man"...with a bit of green. :D

We refer to ours as "The Cali" or "a Cali" it is a category of its own and when asked what that is say is a Camper van, you known based on a Transporter.

I think VW started with "Africa Lion" until their marketing people decided on "California" or was it "Racial Info" or "African Oil" :pinkbanana

How about "A Crew MPV" = VW Camper.....na! Dosn't work for me!

Hi Wrinkly,

Must say I rather enjoyed reading your post :thumb

We've recently collected our t6 4motion and justified it as a 30 year anniversary gift. As the 30th is apparently the 'pearl' anniversary we too considered pearl white with the view of calling the van pearl (imaginative I know ;)). However we ended up with blue and called him Billy (Ocean) :sorry...

One word of caution though, if you do intend to have your Cali sprayed double check any paint warranty implications.... I also thought about doing the same and was advised not to and was recommended wrapping as an alternative.

Enjoy your new van :happy

Our current T5 is blue, and my Mum came up with nickname of Bluebottle. We refer to it as the Cali, or to annoy our 3 boys (all in their 20s), we call it our Groovy Camperoo. They think we've gone quite mad trotting about all over the place in it - but they're secretly envious. They would love it to be available for festivals, sporting fixtures etc, or to crash out in after night out. It's not.

Ah @AnneP I have made the mistake (?) of insuring my two boys, 22 and 24 on the Cali. It has been used by the eldest for moving into his flat and I think will be used by the youngest for trips into the new forest to cycle with his friend. I share your reticence about festivals though !

First the good news...

Heard today that my California Ocean 204 DSG 4 Motion (that's a mouthful) has been confirmed status 20 for week 2...guaranteeing (unless the boat sinks) new registration early March 2017...Phew...will avoid the Draconian VED increase next year.

Now the question.

I have had great fun and gained loads of helpful information on the Forum but have noticed that many people refer to their somewhat expensive Pride and Joy as a Van.

I know I risk being called a snob but I'm not...really...It's just my personal feeling that having always loved the look of older VW Campervans and yearned to part of that ethos it seems strange to think of calling my new California...a Van.

I know many will say that it is Van based - call it whatever you want...and when talking to people in the know I call it a "VW California", and to those who may not necessarily know what that is a "new version VW Camper" or "Campervan".

In a moment of Sad Old Git-ness I even googled the word Van and saw that Wikipedia and Oxford Dictionaries refer to it as a vehicle for transporting goods, if without side/rear windows and possibly numbers of people if it has windows.

Not much about pride and joy, lifestyle, ethos, exploration, home on wheels etc.

I really like the way some owners feel for their California and give it a name...it is very personal to them.

I lived in Canada for a few years and owned a 24 ft twin axle Caraven pulled by a 4X4 Chevy Blazer.

A Caravan out there is called a "Trailer"...so ours was called Elizabeth. :happy

My California is coming in Candy White and then having the lower half sprayed light VW green...

First the good news...

Now the question.

First the good news...

Now the question.

Hi Wrinkly,

Must say I rather enjoyed reading your post :thumb

We've recently collected our t6 4motion and justified it as a 30 year anniversary gift. As the 30th is apparently the 'pearl' anniversary we too considered pearl white with the view of calling the van pearl (imaginative I know ;)). However we ended up with blue and called him Billy (Ocean) :sorry...

One word of caution though, if you do intend to have your Cali sprayed double check any paint warranty implications.... I also thought about doing the same and was advised not to and was recommended wrapping as an alternative.

Enjoy your new van :happy

Late reply...sorry been away.

It is booked in to an official VW approved bodyshop so I'm assuming that will be acceptable in Der Faterland.Vee shall see :)

Are thos alcoholic beverages on the table??

The evening light makes her look like Blue-Bell;)
Last time I looked TB was white but it is possible that the wife has put an Orla design over her. And yes it is alcohol !!! I need it

My daughter suggested that our Cali be named Nellie as in Nellie the Elephant, the children's song. Although we haven't come up with an alternative, we rarely feel the need to use the name. It is usually referred to as the Cali or campervan. Maybe in time we will christen the Cali when we are more familiar with its character. A name is far too important to rush into :)

Maybe in time we will christen the Cali when we are more familiar with its character. A name is far too important to rush into :)

Like we do with kids... oh no!... wait!..

Although our Pride and Joy is still on order, we've already named her 'Cali' - yes, I know it's unimaginative, but we're in for a long wait and didn't want to keep saying 'the Cali' or 'the Campervan'!

Unofficially called JOJO or "The Big White Pooka" but never used outside of me and the wife.

So are you all saying if asked "Where are my gloves"; do you reply "They are in 'JOJO' " etc.

If I was asked that question, the reply would be "in the car"

...message ends...

So are you all saying if asked "Where are my gloves"; do you reply "They are in 'JOJO' " etc.

Yes, I'm afraid so. For vans & cars alike. I should probably grow up at some point, but looks a lot less fun!

Our replacement is having a sex change

Stanley to Alice

Mike

Still deciding but very tempted by Otto- German name so fitting. Got an O in registration. Would from then be an Ottobus. Makes me laugh anyway

Why the change Mike?
The boss decides on such things and has already become attached to the one we have therefore the replacement must have a new name. Another Stanley was not going to cut it. Alice it is then. Evidently means Noble and has German origin so quite apt.
Oh! And I do as I'm told, sometimes

Mike

The boss decides on such things and has already become attached to the one we have therefore the replacement must have a new name. Another Stanley was not going to cut it. Alice it is then. Evidently means Noble and has German origin so quite apt.
Oh! And I do as I'm told, sometimes

Mike
So what do you say when you go to the garage.?

Could you service the California, please?
or
Could you service Alice, please?