Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's in the 204 PS 4MO MY2016 T6 engine bay

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello everyone, thought that this may be something interesting for all on here.

When I look in the engine bay, there are some items that I can identify and some I cannot. I am listing the ones that I know and leaving the other numbers blank. If you can help identify based on the number, then I can update the original thread with your inputs, attributed to the person who helps identify. I think this will be a valuable resource for people to understand their Cali better. Also, I may have identified some things incorrectly. If you can help correct. If there is something important that I have missed out on numbering let me know and I will edit the image.

There are gaps in numbering to ensure that we can include other items in future.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help on this.

204-01.jpg

01. Air Filter box
03. Brake Fluid Reservoir
06. Oil filler cap
204-02.jpg

204-03.jpg

42. Expansion Tank - Coolant Reservoir
43. Wiper fluid

204-04.jpg

60. Starter Battery
61. Fuse - I think this is for the VB Air Suspension
64. The +ve terminal of the battery
65. Heat Shield to keep some heat out of the battery area.

Last edited:
Very difficult for me to get the right terms in English

2: air mass meter
4: servo oil reservoir
5: back of the headlight?
7: air pressure meter
8: case for the cambelt
9: pressure sensor (particulate filter)?
20: pressure converter (for pressure controlled devices (i.e. turbocharger, ...)
21: air filter for those converters (ambient pressure control)?
22: inlet for turbo pressured air into the watercooled intercooler
23: tube to 22
24: coolant water in or outlet for the intercooler
25: same as 24 but the other end (out or inlet)
26: EGR tube
27: probably fuel lines to fuel filter (in or outlet)
28: the rest of the fuel lines clamped together (out or inlet)
29: another one like 20
40: aircon pipes
41: water return pipe divider back to the reservoir?
44: return of the fuel from the fuel filter back to the fuel tank
45: level sensor for coolant
62: the other headlight?
63: you mean the computer for your LED or Xenon headlights?
66: is that number over what we are supposed to see? can't tell from here

Correct me if I am wrong...

This just confirms what I already know, I’ll stick to my old T4 2.5 Tdi Cali.

Looking at this would be grounds for industrial injury causing mechanics depression, never mind owners footing the bill when out of warranty for common repairs on a VW like worn camshaft, it’s a 4 hour job sir, but it will take a day to find the engine... plus a day to find the bits we removed that the cleaner threw in the skip and another day to chuck it all back under the bonnet.

This just confirms what I already know, I’ll stick to my old T4 2.5 Tdi Cali.

Looking at this would be grounds for industrial injury causing mechanics depression, never mind owners footing the bill when out of warranty for common repairs on a VW like worn camshaft, it’s a 4 hour job sir, but it will take a day to find the engine... plus a day to find the bits we removed that the cleaner threw in the skip and another day to chuck it all back under the bonnet.
Watched a program last night at about the building of a Bentley Continental GT in sunny Crewe, mindbogglingly complex with fabulous workmanship and attention to detail. Makes my T6 Cali look positively simple in comparison, probably.

I thought the T5 and T6 had the same engine. This is so different. The top looks like something off the back of my washing machine.

I thought the T5 and T6 had the same engine. This is so different. The top looks like something off the back of my washing machine.
They are certainly not the same. There is even a completely different engine between the T5 an T5.1, going from pumpe deuse to common rail.
Euro 5 and Euro 6 engines are completely different. Maybe only the nude block will have some resemblance, but all the environmental sing will make the engine look different.

For those that are interested, after your engine stalls when you’ve almost (but not actually) run out of fuel, you unscrew the jubilee clip to the right of 2 and spray something highly combustible down there...once you’ve put more fuel in, obviously.

I found out this little gem of info by the side of a french motorway on New Years Day. The breakdown guy used a can of brake cleaner spray....seemed to provide enough bang to get the engine going again!!

Used that stuff a few time’s on an old 2 stroke lawn mower to get it going (had a leak in the fuel system and needed a boost to get it going). Used it on my brothers car too get to get it going. That was a petrol tho

Back