Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Whats the average age off a california owner? (Poll)

What is the average age of a Cali Owner

• 20-30

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 31-40

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • 41-50

Votes: 70 33.5%
  • 51-60

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • 61-70

Votes: 44 21.1%
  • 71+

Votes: 10 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

cadger

I was thinking off buying a california we are in or mid 50s my wife sayes we are to old that they are for young people in there 20-30s with young familys. I just wondered what the forum thinks would to old cadgers look out off place in a cali ?

Re: Whats the average age off a california owner?

Last time out in austria on campingsite , saw the arrival of a coupple sure over their 60's , had two bikes on the back , from the netherlands
Can't think of a reason why you should not own and travel with a Cali at older age.
Al dependt on your wants and needs , if you want to spent monts on the road , probeley better of with a bigger camper .
Also note that if you are on holliday and it rains whole the day there's not to much space availeble , but on the other hand a Cali is much more handy to travel day by day at different places and citytrips....and it can be used as a daily car when at home! There where a big camper stays in a stalling place most of the year and only used for copple of weeks holliday.
We are just over 40 and bought a Cali recentley , wanted one since a was a 20er but didn't had the finances at that time :sad
Just go for it ! :bananadance

Not sure it's age that matters. It's more about the health agility and size of the owners. If they are wide and limited in agility or have bladder problems then they will definitely find the Cali a challenge rather than enjoy it

As example my parents are now in their mid 70s are not the most active of folk, and 5 years ago went from many years of owning a Cali sized van to now owning something with more space easier to assemble beds and built in loo.

I on the other hand at 42 expect to be mountaineering and white water canoeing at their age and still be using a van such my Cali

Not many in their 20's/30's can afford one - or at least have other priorities. I've met plenty of folks that are older that have one. As said above, it is more about your mental age and attitude than chronological age! What you intend to do and ow you intend to spend your time is the question.

In my early 40's the Cali suits me down to the ground. We are away in it quite a lot - plenty of weekends and longer trips when my demanding work allows! Although I love the Cali, when I am able to spend longer and longer away, I will probably opt for something with a little more space, a higher roof and a toilet/shower on board.

It depends on how you want to use it...

I've met only one (German) couple under 40 with one - that's it! I'm sure plenty are under 40 but most I see appear to be at least 50.

I'm 38, the wife is 35, our kids are 2 and 4.

I'm a 72 year young person. Had my Cali 4 months and have done over 10,000 miles (2,900 in France). I just love it. Tell them to try hiring a van for a week with a firm plan where they want go and what they want to see. If that doesn't convince them then they haven't wasted their money.
P.S. Why should you youngsters have all the Fun.

I'm 71 years young with a spinal problem we still manage to put up the awning Ext.been all over the continent in VW camper vans, been away most of this summer also take the grand kids away in the school holidays, age has nothing to do with it, I say to all you youngsters don't give up as age creeps on, it is the most enjoyable pastime for getting out and about and keeping young
Ron :D

Early 40's, but have the hair of someone much older.

dan

We are both 39 with an 8 and 5 year old. I think the Cali suits all ages. My parents want one and they are nearly 70 :cool

I was in my mid 40's when I bought mine had it two years though :laugh2

haha! very funny Dan!

It's not a young person's game, I don't think your ever too old as long as you are happy to have a vehicle without a loo. You can get plenty of motorhomes that are not much bigger that come with toilet/showers. They just aren't nearly as cool :)

-tim

I am 34.
Haven't come across anyone younger yet :bananadance

:cool

40, 38, 6 & 4.

We have a Beach and use it as one of two vehicles. To be honest I couldn't justify a full Cali in our current situation but loving what we have at the moment. I could definitely see us in a full Cali when the kids no longer want to play out with us.

33, 32 & 1

Lucky to work in a buoyant industry, and live an otherwise modest lifestyle, in case you're wondering!

TravellinJones said:
33, 32 & 1

Lucky to work in a buoyant industry, and live an otherwise modest lifestyle, in case you're wondering!

WE HAVE A WINNER!! :mrgreen: :clap :clap

Is it the marine industry? ;) :oops: :lol:

TwentyOne - I bet mine is worse... :oops:

67 & 65 years, love my cali it has now done 99,484 miles. Drive around France 4 or 5 times a year.
:smile

KernowLad said:
TwentyOne - I bet mine is worse... :oops:

It's possible, I still have some left. Although that's going grey... On the plus side, I have a fine collection of millinery.

Quite interesting to read all the responses about age. Whilst affordability is certainly one factor affecting ownership, there can be little doubt that a factory Cali is the one that many people aspire to. Actual age is a number, mental age is a state of mind, and it is mental age that is the important factor. We probably all know people who are both younger and older than their years might suggest but, as long as they are enjoying doing what they are doing, why not?

Me? A 29 year old head in a 56 year old body (sometimes), father of two grown-ups and one 11 year old granddaughter with a 20 year old head! Owner of a 2001 Reflex Silver T4, bought in Germany in 2007 and imported by, making a worthwhile saving. LHD is a bonus when abroad and still uber-reliable after 130,000 miles, including daily driver use and trips to The Algarve :thumb .
Oh yes, and our leisure battery is still the original!

42 ;-)

choplee said:

Seems a popular age me too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Amazing. I was also that age once. (actually not so long ago ;-)) but as in the post above, I have the body of a 56 year old...!

Californiaman said:
Amazing. I was also that age once. (actually not so long ago ;-)) but as in the post above, I have the body of a 56 year old...!

I too was once that age. However, I am now feeling 26 years. ;) Its amazing what a set of jump leads attached to an 18 year old can do. :thumb

We bought our Cali last year when we both turned 60. Absolutely loving it!

My wife and I are 32, I guess that puts us at the young end of Cali ownership! (have yet to spot if I can do polls from tapatalk)

Back