Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's the deal with 907 gas bottles?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After just over 7 months of patiently waiting, I finally got my Ocean this afternoon!

Now looking to get it kitted out.

I see my local Halfords sell new empty 907 bottles for £25.

If I buy one do you take it somewhere to get it refilled, or do you have to take it to be exchanged for a rusty old full one?

I notice Go Outdoors advertise refills, is that an actual refill or just an exchange?

You can buy outright at Go Outdoors or exchange, ie buy the Gaz. Just pick one up cheap on EBay or local scrap dealer and take to a refill stockist.

After just over 7 months of patiently waiting, I finally got my Ocean this afternoon!

Now looking to get it kitted out.

I see my local Halfords sell new empty 907 bottles for £25.

If I buy one do you take it somewhere to get it refilled, or do you have to take it to be exchanged for a rusty old full one?

I notice Go Outdoors advertise refills, is that an actual refill or just an exchange?

I got mine from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz...ay-Delivery-/282521766404?hash=item41c79c0a04

I think I read somewhere on here the eBay ones are done illegally and can be dangerous?

Eh? Just buy an empty one and exchange for a new full one at GO or whatever.

Here's the sellers website http://chorleybottlegas.co.uk

Just checked on Companies House website and the company gas been trading since 2005. Looks all legit to me although there are rogue traders around.

That one sounds OK, the ones to avoid are the ones who are not companies , individuals that have multiple bottles for sale.

I think I read somewhere on here the eBay ones are done illegally and can be dangerous?
I think the suggestion is to buy from a private seller not a business. Then once you have a cylinder you can get it filled, so no issues with safety. Most times they exchange the empty cylinder for a full one. So there's no point worrying about the condition of the cylinder as you will be given a rusty old one anyway!
Towsure are selling empty cylinders for 12.95.

I got mine for free from the local tip. Obviously empty. Then went to go outdoors and paid only for a refill....

I got mine for free from the local tip. Obviously empty. Then went to go outdoors and paid only for a refill....

Was that a council run tip? I tried that and was told that they were not allowed to give them out. The cylinders were in a locked cage. I went past and was going to grab one if I saw one but as usual the voice of reason, i.e. the wife, suggested otherwise, Since it was on council land and there were cameras everywhere so I could have been done for stealing I guess.

I'd like to have one of the smaller ones (904 or 901) for the "in case" scenario.

..message ends..

Was that a council run tip? I tried that and was told that they were not allowed to give them out. The cylinders were in a locked cage. I went past and was going to grab one if I saw one but as usual the voice of reason, i.e. the wife, suggested otherwise, Since it was on council land and there were cameras everywhere so I could have been done for stealing I guess.

I'd like to have one of the smaller ones (904 or 901) for the "in case" scenario.

..message ends..
Yes the council tip. Same setup, cage and cameras. But I casually helped myself. Not been arrested yet. And....im after the smaller size for the same reason as you and I'll be getting it from the same place. I seem to be at the tip once a month with garden waste so it's only a matter of time.....

Yes the council tip. Same setup, cage and cameras. But I casually helped myself. Not been arrested yet. And....im after the smaller size for the same reason as you and I'll be getting it from the same place. I seem to be at the tip once a month with garden waste so it's only a matter of time.....

Not sure what the council do with them but it seems that we will get in back in circulation faster than the council. I feel like a day out to the tip coming on....... lovely :)

Not sure what the council do with them but it seems that we will get in back in circulation faster than the council. I feel like a day out to the tip coming on....... lovely :)
Good to hear.
My local council have a deal with the local gas bottle company to come collect them.

Just checked on Companies House website and the company gas been trading since 2005. Looks all legit to me although there are rogue traders around.
I just received my 907 from this company, new bottle/handle, delivered free at not much more than most companies charge for just a refill, my rusty old 904 can go back on the boat now.

We get ours from Chorley Bottled Gas (actually in Adlington). A full 907 bottle is about £35 and refills about £10. Best to phone them before travelling to check if they have them in stock.

We get ours from Chorley Bottled Gas (actually in Adlington). A full 907 bottle is about £35 and refills about £10. Best to phone them before travelling to check if they have them in stock.
We have bought from them too :thumb

a 907 refill in and around Hastings is £24 per bottle , as other posts say pick one up anywhere for around £10 and just swap it out
But bring up an old topic VW or the dealer should supply a cylinder an demonstrate that it works and give you a gas safety certificate but they don't and don't blame your dealer he is not qualified that's why none of this is checked on the PDI and you find legs missing on tables ideally there should be a special PDI for our vehicles one day there will be a gas leak and then I wonder what the dealer will do
No fire extinguisher , smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector , all of these are now provided in most caravans and motor homes
Its a small point but could be a safety issue

That's a stunning price. The lowest I have found is about £30 and have been quoted well north of £40 on a campsite.
It's £25 for a refill not £10.

That's a stunning price. The lowest I have found is about £30 and have been quoted well north of £40 on a campsite.
Looking at the website the £10 is a deposit if you don't supply a cylinder for refill. Refill cost is £25. Which seems to be in the same ballpark as other suppliers.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
IMG_2558.JPG

..message ends..
I got this cute little 901 in french supermarché for under a tenner full, which was a spare, but is now attached to the Cadac, but is also spare if desperate .
It seems silly to me not to run the canister totally dry.
I was given an old rusty one to start with, that had a little liquid in it, but it went on for ages before running out

Also just got one from Chorley Bottled Gas via the previous ebay link.

All above board (or so it seems), bottle sent by courier and received in perfect, new, sealed condition.

If you are going over into France DON'T BUY A REFILL BEFORE YOU LEAVE ENGLAND England!

907 refills are about €22.75 in the French supermarkets. Just go collect your full cylinder off the shelf and present it and the empty one at the checkout. It often causes complete confusion but you will get there in the end. Tell the checkout operator it's for 'recharger'.

Rod