Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's your best few peices of kit?

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I think I've got everything I need to enjoy an other couple of weeks in France but I'd like to hear what people think is their best piece of kit, in case I should get it! (It goes without saying, I mean things other than owning a campervan!)

The best things for me are:
- An extra bottle of gas so I can run a BBQ and use the rings in the van.
- the brandrup 3 Potts that fit together. They're tough and provides all the pots we need to cook for a family.
- Cadac safari chef - its just so good.

So what enhances your trips the most?

For me (besides the usual 'stuff') probably these two folding aluminium Decathlon tables and the two cartridge cookers:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cooking-assistance-in-beach.16917/page-2#post-192227

4jw2vr.jpg

Oh, and the bikes of course - essential! Plus the Via Ferrata kit, oh and the 100% essential on any Euro campsite - table tennis bats!

You are NEVER too old for Rond de Tafel - all the better when age range is 5 to 50+, all Euro nationalities are represented and one of the kids beats most of the adults playing with his shoe as happened to us in Dordogne-shire last year! :D

My CG Bistro one-burner stove. Takes up no room, means I can cook outside and is there as a substitute in case main gas bottle runs empty. No need to think about a spare.

My outwell folding kettle.

My thin nylon totally packable folding handbag, £5 in the sales somewhere, that hooks over the headrest and provides a "utility bag" for loose items.

My Bodum 2 cup cafetiere.

My Ms Jeckyll and Mrs Hyde set of portmeirion crockery. Jekyll and Hyde as in I am most definitely a utility camper, living off disposable everything if I can help it, but if resident for a few days on site with washing up facilities then I want all those colourful touches of home. Vinum wine glasses, china plates, decent coffee.

Similar lines to Max, though I prefer to stand up - chuffed with a new 'camp kitchen' table unit from Go Outdoors - use it for gas cartridge stove or wood-burning rocket stove on the top shelf with tools, lighters, oil etc on bottom shelf.

I'd been thinking about one of those cupboard things with a fabric cover, but quicker & lighter is better for us:

39183-060215125820211263476.jpg

Fiamma Bio Pot, portable loo. Let's me have access to the smaller less commercial sites. And if I'm really feeling civilised I even put it in the Khyam toilet tent.
RidgeMonkey toaster for proper toast.

Those tables look to be £9.99 too - bloody amazing Decathlon / Quechua, such good kit at realistic prices, I'm a huge fanboy.

:D You and me both - I love Decathlon. Been going there since the early 90's when they were just in France but the Lakeside store is the only 'modern' UK shop I actually look forward to visiting and we could spend hours in there.

How the quality and design of their goods has come forward in huge leaps and bounds in the last decade is amazing. The camping stuff as with those tables is so cleverly designed but lasts too.

Bialetti espresso coffee maker- love our coffee.

Decathlon Quechua base seconds pop up tent (very quick to put up,great storage area ,if we want to throw bedding in etc & go off for the day).

Large ridge monkey not just for toast but use to make omelettes, chicken wraps etc). Easy to clean.
Finally our vango aurora double sleeping bag,so comfortable.
& of course boginabag.

Wish we had decathlon store near us .

Quechua pop up tent, Cadac bbq, badminton racquets, bed topper, multi usb charger and microfibre towels.

Similar lines to Max, though I prefer to stand up - chuffed with a new 'camp kitchen' table unit from Go Outdoors - use it for gas cartridge stove or wood-burning rocket stove on the top shelf with tools, lighters, oil etc on bottom shelf.

I'd been thinking about one of those cupboard things with a fabric cover, but quicker & lighter is better for us:

39183-060215125820211263476.jpg
Oh I think we got have one of these from pre-van days- a cadac might look funny on the top of it.

We use our 'really useful' boxes as low tables.

Might try it out again though.

My best accessory is my other half. Superbly versatile from brewing tea, pumping up the side awning and other things

This appears to be a great idea and reasonable!
Until I saw this I was going to say our best gadget is the Bellows Bungee less than a tenner and gives you peace of mind when lowering/closing the roof. these are available in the club shop https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-california-roof-bellows-bungee

Don't have many items but in consultation with the wife we would choose foldy kettle, brandrup air screen and the rear tray. Oh and the aero press bought one and then another for the California.

I would say the Aeropress, I need a foldy kettle - only because my husband commented that my old camping kettle (which fits neatly in the sink for travel) was "a bit scruffy for the California" - but what's the 'rear tray' mentioned above?

Ours has to the portapotti, collapsable kettle and washing up bowl, brandrup back seat pockets and cadac Safari chef.

Back