Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel Alignment

burnercan

burnercan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
A question for the suspension geometry gurus among you, but first a bit of background.

As I mentioned in another thread, in glaring act of unawareness, I recently blew a sidewall out on my nice new bus. While reversing out of a parking stall and avoiding a post on the left side of the vehicle, I didn't notice that the post was sitting on a big square concrete footing. About 25 cm high and sticking out about the same from the edge of the post, I connected with it when the steering wheel was on nearly full right lock. I was moving slowly but the ~3T came to an immediate halt with an almighty bang. This resulted in the blown sidewall, me hanging my head in shame and the steering wheel being cocked off to the left about 10° when travelling in a straight line. 200km on the clock. Give me my Dunce Cap.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1080.JPG

The tech doing the alignment was very nice chap and I hung around the lift while he was working. I explained the above story to him and he assured me there is no visible and likely no hidden damage. I had previously crawled around it myself with light and mirror, had a good look at all of the attach points and came to the same conclusion.

So the question is this:

What gives to allow the alignment to move during an impact but not sustain any damage to a component?

In my head, something had to bend in order for the alignment to be thrown off though I must be wrong. The toe was out by quite a lot, and the entire toe system is geared or threaded together from what I can tell. Short of stripping a thread on a tie rod end or a tooth on the rack, I can't see what else can move. The tech adjusted the tie rod ends to correct it.

Edit for typo.

Last edited:
Wow, no takers. Either nobody has an answer (hard to believe) or everybody already knows the answer and wonders why such a silly topic was started :Nailbiting

Wow, no takers. Either nobody has an answer (hard to believe) or everybody already knows the answer and wonders why such a silly topic was started :Nailbiting

I can hold my hand up for the do not know group, sorry. Maybe start a poll on it?

You’re quite right. Something has to give.
Suspension is designed around compliance of the components for load and kerb impact.

For you to shunt the tracking whilst parking I would say is impossible.

It must’ve been out before.

Is there some slippage in the hydraulics in the steering pump?

Looking at your geo print off you had toe in on the near side, so to drive the Cali in a straight line your steering wheel would be out to the left, Basically you were having to split the total toe 50/50 to drive straight,
I’ve been on the spanner’s for those red Italian cars beginning with F for many years and did geometry’s for 20years,
I’ve seen this many times, the chances are that one part of the suspension or steering did bend ever so little ,( but still in spec) even the subframe could move on it’s mounting bolts, There is a massive amount of leverage from a road wheel on full lock, All I would say from a professional point of view is that if everything adjusted into manufacture spec, it will be perfectly ok, He has done the right thing.

one part of the suspension or steering did bend ever so little

Yes, agreed. Something must be bent, my brain just wants to solve the mystery of what. Next time I'm under it I'll look closer at the subframe bolts, but I don't think the hit was that hard. It drives like a new car should so I'm not worried :thumb.

Hi burnercan
Everything is in spec now with the components that you have so nothing can be bent very much at all,You would probably never spot it to the naked eye,
You have done the right thing by having it adjusted Job Done.

Back