Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel arch protection kit

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Does anyone have the genuine VW wheel arch protection kit fitted? It is shown in the latest California brochure as a New! extra at £216 inc VAT fitted. I would be very interested to see a photo of a current model with these fitted, as I am considering buying a set but have never seen them fitted. Thanks!

I wondered about this, only pic I can find is this, click it..its a huge pic.

VW-Transporter-60-b.jpg

Tim, do you know where you can get black side rails?

I also saw the recent post from someone saying theirs had rusted badly.

I've always thought black side rails would look better on a black van as opposed to the normal chrome ones.

I had, but have only just noticed the OP was looking for black. I'll try to contact them.

I bought my black side bars from http://www.tradevanaccessories.co.uk/
They were £134 with free delivery. They are stainless steel, painted gloss black. Quality is good, but I'm sure not as good as the genuine article or those from Banwy. Fitting took about 2 hours. I gave the brackets an extra coat of black Hammerite to lessen the chance of rust, as they are not stainless steel. I would suggest that the cheaper side bars should be avoided as they are normal steel, not stainless. I have spoken to Banwy about the wheel arch trims, and they are going to start listing them from next week.

IMG_6250.JPG

Does anyone have the genuine VW wheel arch protection kit fitted? It is shown in the latest California brochure as a New! extra at £216 inc VAT fitted. I would be very interested to see a photo of a current model with these fitted, as I am considering buying a set but have never seen them fitted. Thanks!

Hi, we are going to Iceland in a few weeks and I am trying to protect my van as much as possible. I had a set of wheel arches fitted at a VW centre but they are made for Vans only and the door on the Cali is on the opposite side - so they don't fit! This is because of the sliding door.
I have spoken to VW UK and they are saying that there is a mistake in the new broacher and at present they are only made for Transporters and Caravelles.

The search continues! (Currently trying to talk to VW in Germany.)

I had a set of wheel arches fitted at a VW centre but they are made for Vans only and the door on the Cali is on the opposite side - so they don't fit! This is because of the sliding door.
I have spoken to VW UK and they are saying that there is a mistake in the new broacher and at present they are only made for Transporters and Caravelles.

I don't understand? how would the sliding door effect the arches? Caravelles have them both sides?

Interesting, thank you. That explains why Banwy are having difficulty obtaining them. I assume that the sliding door on the German Transporter will be on the offside, so should fit the California. Let us know if you are successful in speaking with VW Germany.

This is the 2015 Accessories brochure https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/media/56450/price_list_vwcv_accessory_pl_jan2015.pdf

Shows part number for wheel arch protection as ZGB7H0071300 for 2010 model on for transporter and Caravelle. So if they fit the caravelle why don't they fit the California? Did they try to fit them or was it a case of computer says no without trying?

Vanstyle have similar if not the same ones in stock according to their webpage
http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/wheel-arch-covers-2010-p-4879.html

It might be to do with the fact that the California has the table in the side door so less clearance. The Transporters and Caravelle do not have this and probably a different door card.

That would make sense! I would love someone to confirm they have physically tried and failed which I think Lakeland is saying.
Shame if they on't fit as I'd have like to colour coded a set and trimmed the front ones to fit the sportline spoiler to beef up the looks abit

I don't understand? how would the sliding door effect the arches? Caravelles have them both sides?

The door on a Cali is on the opposite site to a transporter, therefore the wheel arches are slightly different. The guy in the work shop fitted the front pair, but the rear set he said was not a good fit, so because of an indention on the rear side arch, so removed them all. But like someone said you would think that they would be available in Europe but having seen a french Van acc. brochure they didn't have any available.

Thanks for the update, It doesn't make sense why they would sell them and list them for Caravelle's as they have a sliding door both sides... unless there is an actual different on Cali rear quarters to Caravelles because of the table but I can't see VW modifying a shell for that in the first instance.

Not modifying the shell. The sliding door would have to clear the wheel arch. The metal frame of the door would, because it is probably the same on all versions, but the door card also has to clear and that may not be the case on the California because of the fitted table. Just a suggestion.

Not modifying the shell. The sliding door would have to clear the wheel arch. The metal frame of the door would, because it is probably the same on all versions, but the door card also has to clear and that may not be the case on the California because of the fitted table. Just a suggestion.
Mistery solved:
After Tim's mail I knew that I have to obtain this arch protection kit for my Cali, so I bought an airplane ticket, travelled more than 18 hours and spent a months holiday in the UK, at the end the protection kit, sill guards and more were waiting for me in Ridgeways Van Centre in Oxford, lol.
The result is shown in the pictures.

Cheers,
Renato

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

I guess this one is the VW one, isn't? The Vanstyle one looks very similar. Is the doorstep (just invented the name) protector also included?

I like them, there are someone else who installed them and could share some pictures?

We had the VW Wheel Arch Protection kit fitted prior to picking up our new Cali in March. They look really good but unfortunately all four have started to peel away from the bodywork, some worse than others. I don't know how our Van Centre fitted them but we are taking it back tomorrow for the second time in two months to have them re-fitted.

Further to my post yesterday, I've been back to my local VW Van Centre today. They contacted VW Customer Service who eventually confirmed that the Wheel Arch Protection Kit is NOT for the California, it's for the Transporter only. This probably explains why they don't adhere properly to the wheel arch. Consequently we've had ours taken off today and all costs refunded. This accessory is not on the California 2015 online parts list, it's under Transporter.

In the brochure is under "Transporter-Caravelle range" so should be OK for the California. In mine I personally supervised the work as explained in the leaflet, cleaning thoroughly and heating the parts and I hope it would last.

Back