Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel bolt torque

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am going to take my wheels off tomorrow to give them a really good clean & polish/seal. If it's not raining too much !!
Can anyone tell me what the torque setting is for the wheel bolts on 17 inch wheels ??

Answer my own question now !!
Spoke to local van centre who said 180Nm.

I asked the same question about 5 years ago, i was told 180nm but then i was phoned back and told 180 is for steel wheels, with alloys i was told 140

I told them I had 17in Thunders & the guy said he'd ask mechanic & ring me back so I assume 180 is correct. Thats what I've done them at any way.

All 80kg of me stood on the end of the wrench plus a little bounce for good luck. Not scientific but I've never had a wheel fall off yet and at least I know I can reverse the procedure in the event of a puncture. I know of too many people who couldn't get the wheel off after a puncture because the last garage did them up too tight!

I agree with you Graham I could not move a wheel nut at 180 even with an extension, also danger of stripping threads off wheel bolts

I know of too many people who couldn't get the wheel off after a puncture because the last garage did them up too tight!

Thats when they use a nut gun, around here now they all do them up by hand & torque them.

also danger of stripping threads off wheel bolts

Looked to me like they have a compression shoulder arrangement on the bolt just below the head.

Wheel nut torque..well I have been told 180 for alloys
Have any of you tried doing 180 with the little nut spanner in the van
I couldn't manage it,,,,,To do up, or undo
I managed it ok with a long torque wrench
And I a super wimp??
Or have I got my figures wrong??

Wheel nut torque..well I have been told 180 for alloys
Have any of you tried doing 180 with the little nut spanner in the van
I couldn't manage it,,,,,To do up, or undo
I managed it ok with a long torque wrench
And I a super wimp??
Or have I got my figures wrong??
180nm is the figure I have. Purchased a breaker bar and torque wrench to make things easier.

NB: Haven't tried yet but will soon as I want to remove all wheels and stick some copper ease on. Will do it on a bright sunny day on a flat site with a cup of tea and cake on standby

Mike

180nm = 134 foot pounds

So if you weigh 10st or more then stand on the wheel nut wrench or carry a Torque wrench or extension bar.

Never had any problems myself, with properly torqued wheel bolts. Trouble is, not all Tyre fitters check the Torque is correct and just use air tools.

180nm = 134 foot pounds

So if you weigh 10st or more then stand on the wheel nut wrench or carry a Torque wrench or extension bar.

Never had any problems myself, with properly torqued wheel bolts. Trouble is, not all Tyre fitters check the Torque is correct and just use air tools.
Quite right with the tyre fitters and air guns WG.
Good advice on here recently was to take off the security bolt yourself so they don't chew it up. Something I shall do as well as a discussion about tightness of the other bolts.

Mike

Quite right with the tyre fitters and air guns WG.
Good advice on here recently was to take off the security bolt yourself so they don't chew it up. Something I shall do as well as a discussion about tightness of the other bolts.

Mike
I use my local garage. Not a big chain operator and they don't use air tools, just the apprentice if he's not in college or busy.:)

180nm = 134 foot pounds

I do weigh 10 stones...just ( to much cycling!)
I stood on my VW wrench , and giggled up and down...nothing happened...longer lever did the trick
There was some rust on my nuts( ho Ho ) so presumably slightly corroded tight
I have loosened them all now, put on brake grease, and ré tighten .....To 134 pound foot( elderly torque wrench)
I am going to keep the wrench in the van

I use my local garage. Not a big chain operator and they don't use air tools, just the apprentice if he's not in college or busy.:)
The local place that found my puncture used air wrench...the torqued the last bit.
But
They wanted ÂŁ160 for a new tyre
ÂŁ100 online!

180nm = 134 foot pounds

You didn't quote the length of the lever Or whether that includes bouncing :)

You didn't quote the length of the lever Or whether that includes bouncing :)
I just stand on the VW wrench as I weigh over 10st.:D

I was told by a tyre fitter never ever tighten a wheel nut in wheel nut in one go
and work around the perimeter at opposite nuts before tightening

Alan

Which torque wrench do people recommend please? Winters are coming off and I'm doing it myself this year.

Which torque wrench do people recommend please? Winters are coming off and I'm doing it myself this year.

I use this, link , and have been for a number of years. Seems to do the trick, repaired a rear puncture yesterday and removed the other three wheels to copper slip parts to make it easier next time.

Considering carrying one of these, link.

Edit: Had a further thought that the standard brace may work if the towing eye was used as an extra extention lever?

..me..

Last edited:
I have a Toolzone one; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toolzone-...e-Car-Tool-42-210Nm-45cm-Socket-/151436052951
View attachment 21485
Plus a 1 meter breaker bar to match.
View attachment 21486
However this week I bought one of these on offer at machine mart and that means I only need the breaker bar and the new bit from MM in the Cali.
View attachment 21487
Loz, I assume you use the std VW wheel jack for punctures? If not what do you use? (At home I use a 3T trolly jack with suitable pad - Hockey puck).

Back