Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel bolt torque

Loz, I assume you use the std VW wheel jack for punctures? If not what do you use? (At home I use a 3T trolly jack with suitable pad - Hockey puck).
I am still to address this issue, as you I use a trolly jack at home but the factory supplied joke(sic) is not suitable on loose surfaces.

I used a triple bottle jack in the Touareg but it is too tall to fit under the Cali so I'l be getting something new soon.

I am still to address this issue, as you I use a trolly jack at home but the factory supplied joke(sic) is not suitable on loose surfaces.

I used a triple bottle jack in the Touareg but it is too tall to fit under the Cali so I'l be getting something new soon.

I managed to use the VW one yesterday to locate my puncture, wheel left on. Not sure I'd like to have the wheel off for very long feels precarious. Are any suitable on loose surfaces.

..message ends..

I dread getting a puncture out on the road for this very reason - there must be a solution out there. When you crack this one please let us all know. Btw, I like your breaker bar and digital TR solution. I have a ratchet breaker bar and just ordered the digital TR. Thanks.

Loz, I assume you use the std VW wheel jack for punctures? If not what do you use? (At home I use a 3T trolly jack with suitable pad - Hockey puck).
I used the standard jack last week, no problem.....I did need to put a bar into the end of the spanner to remove the nuts
Now I have them greased and torqued, the vw spanner works ( I did every wheel!)

I just have a "thing" about std jacks. A dear friend of mine died when a leg of a std jack gave way whilst changing a wheel. He got crushed. Admittedly it was on soft ground and on a slight adverse bank but he was an experienced guy. So hard, level ground for me. Its why I dread a roadside puncture.

Breaker bar? Gets past the initial "stiction" without real effort when first undoing a bolt and a ratchet version to save carrying yet more stuff! :)

Edit: I have a history of back trouble (two slipped discs inside a year) and not getting any younger! I am 64.

That's terrible and a message to us all.
Got a breaker bar and torque bar and carry a compressor so that in an emergency I can inflate a punctured tyre. Highly likely scenario is picking up a puncture whilst camping on soft ground and I want the ability to get enough of a repair to get to a garage or at least solid ground. Changing a wheel at the roadside will be a last resort and I suspect only done if I'm somewhere remote.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We carry a small hydraulic bottle jack and a 12in square piece of 20mm ply to stand it on. Much easier/safer than the VW jack.

Air suspensions great for getting the spare out, bags of room.

We carry a small hydraulic bottle jack and a 12in square piece of 20mm ply to stand it on. Much easier/safer than the VW jack.

Air suspensions great for getting the spare out, bags of room.
Where do you place the bottle jack? My knowledge is a bit thin but the tops of bottle jacks have a relatively small area and so placement is critical so as to not cause any damage. Or do you use a pad? If so what type? Thanks.

Where do you place the bottle jack? My knowledge is a bit thin but the tops of bottle jacks have a relatively small area and so placement is critical so as to not cause any damage. Or do you use a pad? If so what type? Thanks.
in the past I have made a custom "pad" out of polymorph that goes between top of the bottle jack and the jack point.

One of the reasons i prefer to use the standard jack is to make sure not damaging the chassis if using diffrent place to jack up.
Never had to use it on the road on lose ground but i carry a 30x15cm wooden plank in the Cali at all time.
I got a trolly jack and a pot-jack at my workshop but find it hard to locate the perfect spot to put it on the chassis. For my other two cars i use the trolley jack at home.

by using the standard jack every once a while you are in the meanwhile aware :
a) where it sits and how to use it (many reading this will now scratch theire heads)
b) it's accually IN there and not forgotten to put back in the last time used
C) AND test if it still works and not rusted during time not used

I can only see benefits in using the org.jack to change my summers/winters

One of the reasons i prefer to use the standard jack is to make sure not damaging the chassis if using diffrent place to jack up.
Never had to use it on the road on lose ground but i carry a 30x15cm wooden plank in the Cali at all time.
I got a trolly jack and a pot-jack at my workshop but find it hard to locate the perfect spot to put it on the chassis. For my other two cars i use the trolley jack at home.

by using the standard jack every once a while you are in the meanwhile aware :
a) where it sits and how to use it (many reading this will now scratch theire heads)
b) it's accually IN there and not forgotten to put back in the last time used
C) AND test if it still works and not rusted during time not used

I can only see benefits in using the org.jack to change my summers/winters
Nice reply, thanks. I for one am not scratching head.:)

Top tip. It's tricky to access the spare from the cradle, worse if the flat is a rear tyre.
Drive up on to your levelling blocks to give more height.
Great tip. Especially if the tow ball is attached. I had to remove mine before getting the spare off.

Where appropriate I use the kerb stone to reverse onto to gain height (one side) to make it easier to drop the spare

Alan

Back