Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel change with flat tyre

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Anyone got any idea where you're supposed to put the scissor crank when changing a wheel? Flat tyre tonight on a dark country lane. Took me 5 attempts to get the crank in a good position but by that point I didn't really trust it but it was fine.

Luckily I was close to home so my husband came & helped me. I never imagined a wheel change could take so long. Not helped by having to undo the spare wheel lock as well & mostly done 1 handed with my phone torch as the emergency torch we carry is not so bright!

I think I might have to call vw roadside next time. Would be a lot quicker & safer but I thought how hard can it be!

I think it is well worth carrying a small compressor which will enable you in most cases to get to a garage.Or home. Worked for me on a few occasions on my Touran which doesn't have a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is well worth carrying a small compressor which will enable you in most cases to get to a garage.Or home. Worked for me on a few occasions on my Touran which doesn't have a spare.
+1 for this on our 1 flat with the Cali used compresser and drow to nearest tyre centre. If this does't work ie split in tyre and not wanting to jack the van you could but the kettle on and call your breakdown provider.

Jack- points are always marked on the verhicle , take a look on your other cars as well.
And it reeds so in the manual.

When buyin a new verhicle i always take out the tools and see how it works to change the wheel , jack - points . That said i change my winter to summer-set myself so no problem in how-to , where-to....
And show the wife....if she keeps it in the head i don't know but she can't say : don't know how , only ...can't get those bolts loosend!:D
Also handy to have a torch or a 12v light....plenty off 12v sockets in the Cali
And a woden plank to support the jack in soft ground .
A small compressor could help if it is strong enough , if your tyer is al the way flat a 12v compressor wil not lift a 3ton Cali ....you still need to jack the verhicle up first before you inflate the tyer , if it has to much damage or a big puncture this also is useless.

You will learn from your faults and be better prepared next time
:thumb

I find a head torch very useful. Not the very cheap ones, but the next level up which have enough batteries to last a while. Leaves your hands free to try to sort out the location of the jacking points, etc. Doesn't take up much space in the glove box.
Tried a Halfords trolley jack at first when we changed from Summer to Winter tyres, but the VW jack was better.

Thanks everyone. I bought a compressor pump recently in the hope I would not have to change a tyre roadside but the tyre was beyond inflating. Probably didn't help that I drove on the flat just to get on a straighter bit of road where it was a bit safer to pull over! The torch on it was handy but not really bright enough.

Like you say you live & learn! At least I knew where all the tools & wheel locking nuts were. The worst bit was once sorted the car battery on the vehicle my husband arrived in was flat as we'd left the kids in there with the lights on & headlights so we could see a bit better so had to then phaff about with jump leads!!

Back