Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel size 16" to 18"

Brent87

Brent87

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So I read about 100 posts on this forum about wheel sizes and every discussion seem to be different. Therefore I would like your personal opinions, not technical data...

I have a T6 Coast with the standard 16" wheels and DCC. I would like to get the dropped spindles 30mm (maybe it helps to get in some underground parking lots) and 18 inch wheels (because it's badass). I obviously go on holidays with the cali, but it's also my daily driver.
I also use my cali to tow a VW T1 sometimes (like 20 time a year), so the tire load is an important factor.

So, what are the pros and cons? Have you guys tested the difference between 16 and 18 inch for example?

Won't be able to carry an 18" spare in Spare Wheel carrier without some modification, but if you keep the rolling radius of the 16" and 18" tyres the same then could use the 16" as a low speed get you to garage spare.

Last edited:
I like 18" wheels - not too big to look daft, particularly the older Sportlines.

Volkswagen-T5-Transporter-Sportline-UK-2011-Photo-10-800x600.jpg

Mine came with 16s now on 18s
Slightly harsher ride. But not to bad generally.
Looks better with 18s.
Wouldn't go any bigger than 18s.

I run 16s with winter tyres through the winter, and then 18s for the rest of the year. Looking forward to getting the 18s on soon :)

I actually prefer the ride on 18s.. noticeably less roll when cornering. But more importantly it looks better ;-)

I run 16s with winter tyres through the winter, and then 18s for the rest of the year. Looking forward to getting the 18s on soon :)

I actually prefer the ride on 18s.. noticeably less roll when cornering. But more importantly it looks better ;-)

I've been a few years on the 18s now. I always wonder how different the two sizes really are?
I keep thinking the 16s were slightly more comfortable, but perhaps they weren't and it's all in my mind. Not really helping the OP here:D
:Iamsorry

I would imagine acceleration and fuel economy would be slightly worse with 18" over 16". I'm not sure how body roll would be affected though – I'd imagine it would make no difference. 18" would also give a harsher ride. I've gone for 17" as a compromise.

Much more comfortable with the wheels 16, the holes do not you hear and then the wheels must turn, not look beautiful, you spend the money to travel in diesel and enjoy the Cali! Seriously, I have other cars with 18-inch wheels and tires / 40, each hole an ordeal .......

As stated each and every time this topic crops up,

Carlos Fandangos first rule.....

"Bling beats brains". FACT.

Have what size wheels you like, it doesn't make a lot of difference, you have got the same suspension as the bog standard builders van, I run 19" with 40 tyres, and the same size spare, no modifications. But I have uprated the Anti-Roll Bars, Drop Links, shocks and springs runs smooth. But if you are a old giffer, stick to your 16", you think your floating on a carpet of air

Apologies on behalf of all the old ones with a brain alone 16 "........ hahaha

Thx for al the reply's. Think I'm gonna go for the 18's, maybe even take a look at the 19's. My DCC is always in Sport mode, so the harsher ride shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the dropped shocks and stuff might also be a good idea, once I recover from the dent in my wallet.

You stated tyre (or tire as you spell it) load was important.

Will you get load rated 19" tyres?

I will probably get the 18" wheels. Still choosing between vw dakar, platin P69 or platin P70...

I believe your SatNav unit will need resetting for the new wheel diameter and/or tyre circumstance.

I went from the original 16" steel to the 18" Toluca. And I drive 16" steel thru the winter. But can not compare Summer/winter tyres at all. The ride on the 18" meanwhile is nicer, and there is no significant change in noise or comfort.

Regarding the spare, we just go with the original 16" steel. Do not bother, if we have a flat, we will use the spare only to go to the nearest garage. So I don't think it is a big issue worrying about.

IMG_3909.JPG

I believe your SatNav unit will need resetting for the new wheel diameter and/or tyre circumstance.

I believe it won't - the overall external diameter will stay the same just more wheel and less tyre.

I think the GPS will find you no matter the size of the wheels …

I think the GPS will find you no matter the size of the wheels …
Your SatNAv is more clever than you.
It uses two methods to track you, GPS and dead reckoning. In other words it use inputs from ABS and vehicle direction(coreolis) to calculate where you are.
So in order to maintain accuracy it needs to know the tyre circumference so it can use the wheel speed pulses to calculate distance.

I believe it won't - the overall external diameter will stay the same just more wheel and less tyre.
Well in theory yes. But there will be a percentage delta to the original setup.
The OP hasn't stated his exact tyre choice.
Go to any tyre calculator website and do some comparisons.

Will a change of overall wheel diameter also affect the speedo reading?

I don't have Navigation. Still prefer mobile phone wit internet connection so that won't be a problem. Still haven't decided btw.

Found a small niggle with 17" rims – not much clearance around the massive front brake calipers, makes cleaning a pain.

Wheels off for cleaning surely?

Back